Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You need one of those digital gauges. To my old eyes all the dials look the same.
I'm not there yet! 3 degrees of twist from horn to outer plate. Doesn't sound like much but over 3" it is.
Sponsored

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not there yet! 3 degrees of twist from horn to outer plate. Doesn't sound like much but over 3" it is.
Digital Angle Finder Angle Gauge 4 Side Magnets Magnetic Level Protractor Inclinometer 400mAh Built-in USB Rechargeable Battery for Sawing Woodworking Carpentry Craftsman IP54 https://a.co/d/8QYbTdI

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Now that is a neat little tool. Seems to be 2 degrees off?

So the frame tubular seems to be just fine, and the mounting plate has been bent.

Now that you've looked at this for a bit, did you think the LoD brackets would help?
About 3 degrees altogether. I'm convinced the LOD brackets would have prevented or at least lessened it. After getting it straight again I'm going to bolt them in for now while designing my own plates, I want to use 1/4" or maybe even 5/16". I'll design them to be bolt on as well but I will personally add a couple welds to my own in case my factory welds are compromised.

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

[…] while designing my own plates, I want to use 1/4" or maybe even 5/16". I'll design them to be bolt on as well but I will personally add a couple welds to my own in case my factory welds are compromised.
And you’ll be selling these, yes? 😁

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And you’ll be selling these, yes? 😁
I do hope to. It looks like LOD makes a nice product but I want to come up with the ultimate set.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The beating worked pretty well, got it to within a degree. To be perfect I need to pull the bottom out a bit but not sure how that's going to work.

These nut plates went through hell. A couple more pulls and I think they would have ripped through, one already started ripping.

PXL_20230415_212015803.jpg

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The beating worked pretty well, got it to within a degree. To be perfect I need to pull the bottom out a bit but not sure how that's going to work.

These nut plates went through hell. A couple more pulls and I think they would have ripped through, one already started ripping.

Ford Bronco Damage while using winch on improperly installed Rough Country High Mount PXL_20230415_212015803
Nice work! (y)

Ford Bronco Damage while using winch on improperly installed Rough Country High Mount 096AC66B-BB23-475F-937E-ACAD66ADF7EB

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just used a 18" pipe wrench on the bottom and nearly bent it too far, took almost no effort. All squared up now and waiting for the LOD plates.

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I just used a 18" pipe wrench on the bottom and nearly bent it too far, took almost no effort. All squared up now and waiting for the LOD plates.
I don’t understand how ford expects us to use the recovery points with these mounting plates being so pliable. And they don’t sell replacements, right?

Sponsored

GreyZ

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo 350z, Bronco Badlands, Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don’t understand how ford expects us to use the recovery points with these mounting plates being so pliable. And they don’t sell replacements, right?
Can you grab a coke can and rip the top off by hand?

No, but you could crush one hand.

This is the same principle used in designing the frame horns. They need to crush in compression enough to make the vehicle safe in an accident, but also be strong enough to pull straight from the factory recovery hook. (Which they are).

Even Ford adds additional structure when using a winch due to the possible risk of deforming these frame horns that are designed to function as they do.

huey

Badlands
First Name
kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI VW EOS GMC Envoy Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

nice work on the analysis and repair
looking forward to seeing your finished kit

If you dimensions let me know and I will try to help

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Ford Bronco Damage while using winch on improperly installed Rough Country High Mount 096AC66B-BB23-475F-937E-ACAD66ADF7EB
I'll bring my spare replacement pieces for anybody that may need them in Moab.
No lowball offers, I know what I've got :LOL:

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll bring my spare replacement pieces for anybody that may need them in Moab.
No lowball offers, I know what I've got :LOL:
What till you see the absolute beef Ive drawn up to replace that. Too bad I can't get it cut and installed before the trip.

MillerAndCheeto

Wildtrak
First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Cyber Orange Wildtrak Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
What till you see the absolute beef Ive drawn up to replace that. Too bad I can't get it cut and installed before the trip.

I have a coworker who has an imported Nissan Safari (right hand drive), we were chatting about this problem this morning. His vehicle came stock with a 3/8" or 1/2" (he couldn't remember exactly) steel reinforcement backplate as opposed to the factory nut plates from Ford. I asked him if it was for a winch and he said no, it was just for the tow recovery points. With this info, I'm surprised Ford chose to use such weak backplate material on these front recovery points.

So in terms of your homemade solution, it sounds like quite a few vehicles have this as a stock upgrade already.

When do you think you'd have something available? I've been in contact with LoD and they do not ship to Canada :(, and their Dealers that do ship to Canada have none in stock.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.