First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Wildtrak; ‘23 Porsche 992T; ‘20 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Question about the Ford Performance Tune - once installed, is it always enabled or active?
Sponsored

Sgoob

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti G37x, 2013 F-150, 2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No, you need to run premium. According to Ford Performance It can result in engine damage without it. I sold an Audi before buying the Bronco, and it also required premium fuel. There was not a single incident in which I could not find premium in 10 years of driving it, so I am not too worried about that.
Also if you are worried about it buy a bottle of octane booster to carry around, maybe not perfect but it will work if you cant find premium.

D&O

Badlands
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco / 2021 F150 / 1965 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Also if you are worried about it buy a bottle of octane booster to carry around, maybe not perfect but it will work if you cant find premium.
That is what I did, I keep a can of RaceGas in the Bronco now.

Jossman

Wildtrak
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 F150,2011 Mustang,2013 F150,2006 HD
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
What is the best modification that you have made to your Bronco that you think others would also enjoy? For me it is easy, I added 6.5 inch back speakers. SSV Works has a rear pod replacement that converts the rear speakers to 6.5 inch Kicker speakers. I then added 4 inch Kicker speakers to the front dashboard. This has greatly improved the sound quality. Also, it was a super easy install, since they are plug and play on the rear speaker pod swap.
Oracle Fog Lights.Must have for mountain night time driving in inclement weather.

image.jpeg

Sponsored

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Question about the Ford Performance Tune - once installed, is it always enabled or active?
Just turn the dial to Sport mode as opposed to having to carry around race fuel with you everyplace.

Stomper

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Amazon sunglass tray. Fits nicely above the visor with a tab under the A-bar trim. I keep my vinyl case in there as a deadener, but am meaning to glue it down for when the top is open.

gaaangs

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The dealership installed the tune and that subject never came up. I don't see any advantage to waiting.
How much was the tune from the dealership?

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The best octane boosters out there are lucky to raise a fuel like 87 octane up to 89 octane, and that's at their maximum mix ratio. Go beyond their max ratio and you will ironically start producing deposits inside the cylinder and spark plugs that will contribute to detonation and pre-ignition. It's also going to be imperfectly mixed, so your engine might see 89 octane for the most part and occasionally a little bit of 87. If you can't find premium, it's okay, just take on enough 87 to get you to a station that does have it, and take it easy until then. Our engines have very effective antiknock strategies baked into them, you almost can't make them damage themselves with detonation, they'll just keep pulling more and more timing and boost in order to prevent knock on low octane. It's a closed loop, so it sees in real time whether the adjustment was effective or if it needs to pull more, but it's also a reactionary system which means some semblance of a knock has to occur before it reacts. Timing changes are near instant, but it takes the system a moment to lower boost. You generally won't notice anything happening other than maybe it wasn't quite as peppy as you remember. For the most part this only happens when you're really giving it the beans with high levels of boost and/or aggressive timing (high RPM)...but higher octane is mostly unnecessary with relaxed driving where you're not pulling much boost and the trans is keeping RPM low. Tunes normally don't affect the antiknock strategies of an engine except in extreme cases, tunes do provide the conditions to reach detonation more readily, however. Best to simply stay off the throttle and avoid that part of the engine's operation where higher octane is necessary, whether you use an octane booster or not.

Sponsored

JonDW29

Wildtrak
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Damn you people and this f'ing thread. Now I got to go get a performance tune...
Yeah this thread may have pushed me over the edge as well.

As for what I've already installed, I'd say pocket lights so far but I'm just getting started.

Richterman

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands, Superduty
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah this thread may have pushed me over the edge as well.

As for what I've already installed, I'd say pocket lights so far but I'm just getting started.
huge difference on the 2.3 auto

BD6G

Everglades
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

Currently my favorite mod has been adding OEM signature LED headlights to my Black Diamond.

I have a few other goodies - light bar, grille letters and other smaller components sitting waiting on installation I just need the time and weather to do it.

I like the IAG soft top struts but I have experienced that it is a lot harder for my top to lock down and for the reinstall of the window panels. The buckling is now a pain as well and I am debating taking them off.

Quitefrankly

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ford Performance tune - hefty cost but feels like a working non clunky vehicle now. Had it for a week and it's a night and day difference in 2d and even Sport has noticeable rev changes for the better.

Also the must needed combo of IAG front flaps + DV8 2021-2023 Ford Bronco | OE Plus Series Side Steps.

Think both of these in some equivalent package (a tune + a way to step up into a massive vehicle and protect rocks) is necessary.
Sponsored

Reactions: D&O