Sponsored

Spy Video, Underbody / Suspension and Interior Closeups of 2021 Bronco Prototype!

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

From all that we have seen, what can you point to that indicates that the Bronco will somehow surpass say, the 4runner?
Removeable top? ok.
rear axle, stronger, yes. But you don't just lift the rear or put big tires on the rear, you do the same to the front.

and the front? Actually looks less capable than the base 4wd 4runner IFS.

So, while we have likely not seen everything or all options regarding front suspension, what we have seen right now is that the base 4wd 4runner will be more capable than the base bronco. Maybe if the Bronco is 10k cheaper, that's fine, but if they are within a stones-throw on price, the 4runner wins out there.

As we only have that to compare it to so far...the Bronco does not appear to have any performance advantages in any segment we can put it into yet, excepting maybe the 2.3EB and 2.7EB as compared to the Taco/4runner 4L V6, which imo is pretty anemic, about on par with the V6s from the 90s.
2.3 is at least 270-310hp
2.7 should be over 300 minimum

Add to that easy of power and what it lacks in suspension it makes up for in power in it's class

Also, hey Toyota, the 90s called, they want their engines back!
Sponsored

Fosters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F450 2018 Mustang eb premium vert, 2013 Mustang 6A, 2004 mustang gt, 2001 Jeep Cherokee, 2019 Can-Am Maverick Sport X RC
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You HAVE to be joking with this shit... you realize in the "competitors" you listed, the Mustang is over $10k more expensive in base trim? That's not a competitor, that's a different segment LMAO

Again, you have to be joking... Premiums don't weigh much more than base models. Did a scale comparison with my buddy who has a base auto, and his car weighed more than mine, both with a full tank

Regardless, the Camaro I run against regularly is a 2SS, so it really doesn't matter. He still pulls on me from a dig or roll. It's not tires, its not driver mod, they're simply faster
Mustang is more expensive... because they can charge it. You're really comparing the NA mustang (GT350) to the top trim supercharged ZL1 camaro and claiming well the camaro is faster? really?

What do you run at the track and what's done to your car? That'll tell if you need a driver mod or tires or both :D

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So it has a significantly more capable rear end, POSSIBLY a SLIGHTLY less capable front end, a removable roof to the yoda's fixed, better styling, better engine/trans options... what makes you think the 4Runner would beat the Bronco bad enough to call the Bronco DOA? That's simply absurd
My buddy drove his old JK topless all summer, you'll see plenty of topless 4drs

Toyota is gonna only appeal to loyalists and those who value reliability above all else, and half of those probably forget to do an oil change or stuff in the first place that'd kill a lesser vehicle

Trust me, if everything works out well, it'll be a class leader, just like the F150 and Mustang

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Jesus, I can't believe the ignorance in here

Premium is the only way to get the digital dash, which is capable of tracking lap times and can be configured to be more readable on track
Also leather seats with coolers included, and a bunch of other minute goodies

Fosters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F450 2018 Mustang eb premium vert, 2013 Mustang 6A, 2004 mustang gt, 2001 Jeep Cherokee, 2019 Can-Am Maverick Sport X RC
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Premium is the only way to get the digital dash, which is capable of tracking lap times and can be configured to be more readable on track
Ohhh, I see. The digital dash is what makes car go faster.

Shit, I've been doing it all wrong with my needles and alarm clock display all of these years.

Sponsored

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2.3 is at least 270-310hp
2.7 should be over 300 minimum

Add to that easy of power and what it lacks in suspension it makes up for in power in it's class

Also, hey Toyota, the 90s called, they want their engines back!
and yet the 2.3 and 2.7 are seriously lacking in torque below 1k RPM. so much so nearly all torque curves cut them off below that point. They are great once they have a few RPMs behind them, and they are lightyears ahead of turbo engines of old. But they are still anemic at idle. It may be possible to change that with some tuning that ford for liability or eco reasons can't do from the factory such as setting the turbo to release to spool at something like 750 RPMs instead of 1050 or wherever it's at atm.

But all the power in the world doesn't matter (for an off-roader) if you can't fit tires under the truck, or break the drivetrain once you do.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

as is a laptop that hooks up to the OBD port for about 5 grand less.....and has a shitload more options, and that you'll need anyways to change the tuning between laps....

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree with most of this.

I would hope that it's 10k cheaper than a 4Runner. But I doubt it will be.
Also...4Runner is MADLY overpriced for being that.damn.old. Still love 'em. But damn grandpa, get a 6 speed or something.
I agree, I do rather like our 4runner though, it's done well. It is due for an update soon.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So it has a significantly more capable rear end, POSSIBLY a SLIGHTLY less capable front end, a removable roof to the yoda's fixed, better styling, better engine/trans options... what makes you think the 4Runner would beat the Bronco bad enough to call the Bronco DOA? That's simply absurd
you could put a 5 ton planetary under the rear. but the weak link is still what determines what you can do with a vehicle.

putting 1000hp into a race car with 235s is not better than having 300 hp with 235s. having a D44 rear axle when you can't put more than 33s on the front doesn't do shit for you. The weak link is still the weak link. And as of right now, from what we have seen, that is the IFS. I hope there is more to come here. We just haven't officially heard about it or seen anything on it.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

and yet the 2.3 and 2.7 are seriously lacking in torque below 1k RPM. so much so nearly all torque curves cut them off below that point. They are great once they have a few RPMs behind them, and they are lightyears ahead of turbo engines of old. But they are still anemic at idle. It may be possible to change that with some tuning that ford for liability or eco reasons can't do from the factory such as setting the turbo to release to spool at something like 750 RPMs instead of 1050 or wherever it's at atm.

But all the power in the world doesn't matter (for an off-roader) if you can't fit tires under the truck, or break the drivetrain once you do.
One (or is it two) word(s): Aftermarket

Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
If Ford was really listening to the online guys, we would be looking at a big V8 on 2 axels carried by leaf springs with a 5 speed manual and 2 doors. As a Suzuki samurai guy currently, I'd love that. A bigger version of my rig with actual power. I also understand that would probably flop big time in sales.
This is a strange analogy, but I think back to the launch of Zelda on the Nintendo 64. News came out that there was no jump button. The character jumped automatically when running to an edge. People freaked out and claimed the game is ruined. Turns out, the game is still regarded as the best game ever made by many. Nintendo knew what we wanted before any of us did.
I have an idea of what I want, and I admit it's probably not realistic. I'm also willing to see if Ford can change my mind.
Ford Bronco Spy Video, Underbody / Suspension and Interior Closeups of 2021 Bronco Prototype! C73BB160-7CE3-4487-A63E-7805BA6A77D0

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Exactly

Also, I bought a 3ds just so I could replay Oot, and a switch to get Botw, both games are amazing, though how do you outdo Botw?

Fosters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
you could put a 5 ton planetary under the rear. but the weak link is still what determines what you can do with a vehicle.

putting 1000hp into a race car with 235s is not better than having 300 hp with 235s. having a D44 rear axle when you can't put more than 33s on the front doesn't do shit for you. The weak link is still the weak link. And as of right now, from what we have seen, that is the IFS. I hope there is more to come here. We just haven't officially heard about it or seen anything on it.
Haha, my base model GT came with 235s... it was quite bad in stock form (OMG it was slower than the mullets!), and it basically got hilariously bad once the exhaust/tune/torque converter went on... Thank god that was easy enough to fix - running 325/50/15s now on the street and they do ok.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Reading this thread is making me feel like we’re not getting the Bronco we deserve. The Bronco we deserve based on all this bitching is the baby Bronco.

Fosters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Reading this thread is making me feel like we’re not getting the Bronco we deserve. The Bronco we deserve based on all this bitching is the baby Bronco.
Crazy to me that we're having this whole conversation about IFS vs SFA... at the same time we're discussing a whole 'nother vehicle - the baby bronco - that will come with IFS and likely IRS... so that everyone who buys it will be safe from the terrible agonizing disaster that comes with solid axles.
Sponsored