nwardoh

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You have this exactly backwards. The easy jobs are all automated now. The hard jobs, those that require judgment under tight time constraints, are the jobs still done by human beings.
What, exactly, would require judgement under tight time constraints? That's not how cars are built anymore. They are simply assembled. Robots do the welding, painting, material removal, heavy lifting, even install the windshields. The workers in a modern factory are glorified babysitters.
Sponsored

nwardoh

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hereā€™s an EV story for you- my neighbor is an EV battery engineer. Heā€™s neck deep in developing and progressing EV technology and his company works with some or all of the major manufacturers.
Heā€™s bought two new cars since May. Neither is an EV or hybrid. I joked with him ā€œno new EV for you????ā€ He said ā€œthat should tell you somethingā€¦ā€¦ā€
The batteries in an EV are the exact same batteries that power most of the higher end e-cigs. They just solder thousands of them together into the packs. I would have zero confidence in them too!

stickshifthappy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, 65 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
40% wage increase !!!! Yeah that wonā€™t kill the auto market , and CEOs getting 40% increases sucks as well, but itā€™s still a free market system.

Reactions: jon

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
So much missinformation.

The tone of many posts makes me believe that many don't understand the 36% wage increase is actually about 8% per year over 4 years. Yes, a healthy increase.

The big 3 could easily absorb the cost of additional wages and benefits for the uaw employees with a minimal (a few hundred) price increase but the problem is that it filters through to all the other nonunion employees. Nonunion employees will also end up with increases.

The uaw 37k to 67k yearly wages are not absurd. Even if you add 10k to account for generous benefits when compared to other jobs with similar pay. You have to be careful and understand the information being thrown around. Ie is the total cost being thrown around, w2 costs, w2 plus benefits, or the total company cost to support a single employee? These vary but on average in my industry they are about 1.3, 1.5, and 2.5 times your hourly rate.
Indeed so much misinformation. One must pay attention to the details and not succumb to misinformation or misinterpretation.

The largest one I see here, in the media and in discussions with friends is that the cumulative benefits are compounded over years and totalled up. It's not 35-45% one time pay bump.

Pure and simple, even in the states and cities where there are large plants (generally lower cost of living than "tech cities"), one can not raise a family on a single UAW salary. And by raise a family I include own a home, have a stay at home parent, own a new car, provide activities and opportunities for ones kids, take some vacations and eventually retire. Whatever you want to call that, middle class, upper middle, whatever.

Sponsored

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I am totally confused.........Is this a G L I T C H in the system.......Scheduled for the week of the 18th........Now in production?!?!?!

now in production.jpg
Another already replied but no, I'm exactly the same. However, 2 days after getting "in production" in the tracker, FMC sent another, dorrg your vehicle continues to be delayed email...

shoelessjoe

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You get paid based on the skills you bring to the table, not as if you're a part owner in the company. If you have skills that are worth more than you think you're getting as a UAW member, find a new job. Free market. If Big 3 isn't compensating enough to attract the right people, they'd have to sweeten the pot. Pure workforce supply and demand
I have the skills and I left one UAW job and went to another UAW job and got a $10 hr raise, better benefits and profit sharing.

Kos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is the UAW secretly working with Tesla to get the plant taken over to build more Model Y's? Seems like they are creating a situation that causes them sell the factory to another car company.

Don't forget that the Tesla factory in California used to be a UAW facility twice. Once with GM and once with NUMMI (joint venture between GM and Toyota).

Bugkillah

Base
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Nissan 370Z Nismo, Nissan Frontier
Your Bronco Model
Base
I just hope the new car manuals are printed in English, Chinese is hard to read.

DryYourTears

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Defender, 51 Ford F1, motorcycles
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hereā€™s an EV story for you- my neighbor is an EV battery engineer. Heā€™s neck deep in developing and progressing EV technology and his company works with some or all of the major manufacturers.
Heā€™s bought two new cars since May. Neither is an EV or hybrid. I joked with him ā€œno new EV for you????ā€ He said ā€œthat should tell you somethingā€¦ā€¦ā€
Sure, that's one data point from one person, but I think it's important to look at who is investing in EV tech when trying to decide how things are going to go.

Shell has more EV charging points than gas stations. BP is investing heavily in charging infrastructure. Big oil isn't going to bet against itself, and they're in the best position to see the writing on the wall. THAT should tell you something.

Sponsored

huey

Badlands
First Name
kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI VW EOS GMC Envoy Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Indeed so much misinformation. One must pay attention to the details and not succumb to misinformation or misinterpretation.

The largest one I see here, in the media and in discussions with friends is that the cumulative benefits are compounded over years and totalled up. It's not 35-45% one time pay bump.

Pure and simple, even in the states and cities where there are large plants (generally lower cost of living than "tech cities"), one can not raise a family on a single UAW salary. And by raise a family I include own a home, have a stay at home parent, own a new car, provide activities and opportunities for ones kids, take some vacations and eventually retire. Whatever you want to call that, middle class, upper middle, whatever.
So why do oems need to support the auto workers dreams of a single income lifestyle that maintains all you mention? Either the spouse starts to pull an income or the single worker gets a better paying job. Nothing stopping anyone from seeking a higher paying job. If that's what workers feel they are owed thats the definition of entitlement

Better yet, group together and start a new auto company. Then the owner can make the big bucks and pay the line workers 32 bucks an hour

Quicklime

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sasquatch 2 Dr hardtop
Your Bronco Model
Base
Unions only serve themselves as the cost to everyone elseā€¦. Those fat cats they think that will pay their fare share pass it along to the consumer.
Uaw terms are ridiculous.

No one here should ever complain about price increases if you support this behavior.
My teamster pension is laughing at your spelling and grammar.

shoelessjoe

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford is losing $3B a year on their EV line. That's $12B over 4 years, assuming no improved economy of scale.

The union's demand adds up to $80B over 4 years. So, actually looks like the Union would bankrupt them about 6 and 2/3rds times faster.
Well if you go by what Farley says UAW employees will be making 300k a year.

geargeek

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco HE, 21 Bronco Sport BL
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
If your vehicle isn't at the dealership you won't get your vehicle until the strike is over unless they
Looks like part of your response was cutoff. My vehicle has been built, and latest status is ā€˜released to carrierā€™, but does not appear to be assigned to a railcar (Iā€™m in TX so will go by rail). Not sure what that means about where it is currently located, and whether or not thereā€™s a chance it will get shipped during the strike.
Sponsored