Sponsored

Ford Performance Tune for WT or should I pass?

973to802

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, landcuiser x2, suburban, 72 alfa, JD 2032r
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Heard lots of great reviews about the Ford Performance Tune - not sure if I have heard anything bad - but, wanted to check..
Was at dealership in Morristown, NJ today - asked if they would install the Ford Performance Tune for me (going to order from Lethal on BlackFriday Sale). They said they could not install it....and that I should check other dealerships for the install. Ok, can do.
Now the questions - and all perspectives are welcomed and appreciated.
1) I am getting 18+mpg in the 4 door WT - in non-highway driving. I dig the performance (usually in Sport). But, more is well....more. Should I not rock the boat? Has anyone had a bad experience with the Ford Performance Tune?
2) Does anyone know if it would void the extended warranty?

Thank you in advance for any thoughts. Appreciate it!
Sponsored

rpaluch1

Outer Banks
First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Go for it. Well worth the cost. I have a 2.3 Outerbanks non SAS had the tune installed 3 months ago and what a difference in all modes. Sport mode is simply amazing. Normal mode feels like sport mode before the tune. As long as the tune is done by an ASE certified tech your warrantyā€™s are safe. Not all Ford dealers have an ASE certified tech. Mine didnā€™t either so I had to go to another dealer. Just remember premium fuel from install point forward. That should also help mpg and offset the effect of more of your foot on the pedal. Good luck. Enjoy.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

1) I am getting 18+mpg in the 4 door WT - in non-highway driving. I dig the performance (usually in Sport). But, more is well....more. Should I not rock the boat? Has anyone had a bad experience with the Ford Performance Tune?
I have it on my Badlands, and it's great.

BUT, if I had an automatic transmission I don't know if it's worth the cost to be honest. The primary reason why I bought it was for the rev-matching with the manual transmission, and for that feature alone it's pretty awesome.

The performance tune itself is very much like driving around in Sport mode 24/7... except now you have the requirement of premium fuel. It doesn't make sense in my head to effectively add something you already had in the Sport mode, while simultaneously taking away the flexibility of fueling up with lower octane fuels.

BUT, maybe I'm off-base here. Will have to see how those with an automatic feel about it.
It does not. The tune works in tandem with the factory warranty as long as it is installed by a Ford/Lincoln dealership OR and ASE/RSE certified technician.

Lak34ers

Big Bend
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Heard lots of great reviews about the Ford Performance Tune - not sure if I have heard anything bad - but, wanted to check..
Was at dealership in Morristown, NJ today - asked if they would install the Ford Performance Tune for me (going to order from Lethal on BlackFriday Sale). They said they could not install it....and that I should check other dealerships for the install. Ok, can do.

Well worth it. Never use sport anymore. Awesome shifting and much quicker. More horsepower and torque. Only negative is premium fuel required. I would never have a Bronco without it now that I know what I would be missing.

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2021 Bronco Badlands 68 GTA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have it with other mods. The power is great. The shifts are great. Though I do use 93 all the time, you can run 87. You just will not get all the benefits of the tune, but it will run fine.

Sponsored

Jimsea

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
There is plenty of info on this site to make an informed decision. My automatic/2.7 loves the tune. I like the new normal mode more so than the new sport mode. But then iā€™m old and appreciate different things for different reasons.

Lak34ers

Big Bend
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Lethal Performance has it on sale for $599. Takes about 15 mins to install.

Bronkers

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Auto 2.7 here. Noticeable power gain. If there is better $/hp out there idk what it is. I also later did larger intercooler and the seat of my pants swear that also gave noticeable gain combined with tune. I will probably keep throwing dumb money at the more is more concept. Having a vehicle that is superbly capable offroad and points its nose at the sky when you punch it on pavement is too much fun.

Never dyno'd of course, bc who cares. Also haven't done science on mpg, bc I was sad about that before i drove it off the lot.

The choice is yours my friend. But you already went wildtrak...you kind of have to do the tune(?)

BroncoDymond88

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Sorento
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I had it on my '21 Wiltrak and the difference was really noticeable. MPG went up, response time, and smoother shifting were the most noticeable changes for me and I generally drive in Eco.

Bronc6g22

Badlands
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 6, Tacoma TRDOR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Best mod for Bronco in my opinion. Worth it for better shifting alone. This with Baja mode is a blast.

Sponsored

Rusty Sheckelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I don't understand why you would do the tune when you already have the option to use premium fuel for extra power and efficiency... Or stick with low grade if money is tight

amazingjason

Big Bend
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Samurai, 1966 442
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It does not. The tune works in tandem with the factory warranty as long as it is installed by a Ford/Lincoln dealership OR and ASE/RSE certified technician.
From what Iā€™ve read, the warranty stays at 3 years/36,000 miles but extended warranties may be affected.

Jason

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

If youā€™re getting 18 mpg on a wildtrack, skip the tune. You donā€™t drive in a manner that would benefit.

The tune is not sport mode, very different and very better. You can still use regular fuel with the tune installed, you will just get lesser performance.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ā€˜69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I don't understand why you would do the tune when you already have the option to use premium fuel for extra power and efficiency... Or stick with low grade if money is tight
Power with the tune is better than what you currently get on premium fuel in sport mode and better shift programming to boot. AND you can still use eco mode and cheap fuel when money is tight.

Last edited:

Rusty Sheckelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Power with the tune is better than what you currently get on premium fuel in sport mode and better shift programming to boot. AND you can still use eco mode and cheap fuel when money is tight.
That sounds good, but it it doesn't account for how expensive premium is compared to regular.

As an aside, am I crazy, or did premium used to only be 20 cents more than premium?? Mid grade was 10 cents over, premium 20... But now it's like a buck at some stations??
Sponsored