B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Okay and back to talking purely about trucks because that's what this forum is for, right?

My dad's 2018 F-150 has the 3.5L with the 10 speed auto and 3.55 gearing and it is awesome. Hauls a 7,000lb boat no problem, but that one doesn't get towed very far.

He borrowed what I think was a 2016 F-150 with the 3.5L and 10 speed auto before he had a truck in order to pick a 5,000lb boat up Alabama and tow it back to Michigan. He went through the mountains and all kinds of stuff with that thing and he said he was absolutely blown away with the transmission. It ultimately led him to buy his current truck. I have driven this from time to time on long trips and have absolutely no complaints with the 10 speed, but I am also not trying to drag race it and the truck stays on the pavement so that's where all of my experience is.

The only problem we have ever had with the 10 speed is after the truck was in a fender bender (icy roads and inexperienced drivers don't mix) we noticed it was slipping and searching for gears while accelerating from lower speeds. We took it into the dealer and there was a recall on I'm not sure what, but they swapped parts in an afternoon and the truck has been good as new since. Truck has just shy of 40,000 miles on it.

A good friend of mine has also had two F-150's with the 2.7L and 10 speed. I am not sure on the years, but I think one was a 2015 and the current one is a 2019 and he has never had any issues with the transmission or the 2.7L and I think he put about 50,000 on the first truck and he has about 30,000 on the newer one.

I will say though, another friend of mine borrowed the newer F-150 with the 2.7L and 10 speed and he hated it for towing a roughly 2,500lb fishing boat with gear back and forth from Alabama (funny everyone I know goes there with boats). He usually drives a Silverado with the 5.3L and he says the power just does not compare. I think it's mostly because he hated the turbo lag over the instant power of his V8 and didn't have much to do with the engine or trans in the Ford.

I have driven all of the trucks I have been rambling about myself and it's really apples and oranges between the Chevy 5.3L and the Ford 2.7L, but the 3.5L and 2.7L to me feel about the same in the day to day stuff. I have no experience with the 2.3L, but I am greatly looking forward to getting the 2.7L and 10 speed with my Bronco! (2.7L with manual would still be nice though)
Yes thank you!

Do you know if the 10 speed in the bronco is still the same one as used prior, or is it an updated one? Also how long do you think it will take for someone to swap the manual into the V6? haha
Sponsored

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes thank you!

Do you know if the 10 speed in the bronco is still the same one as used prior, or is it an updated one? Also how long do you think it will take for someone to swap the manual into the V6? haha
I don't know for sure, but it would save Ford a ton of time and money to use the exact 2.7L and manual trans setup from the F-150. It would seriously cut down on development costs.

As far as swapping in a manual, I think some people will do it almost instantly provided they can find a way to adapt the housing from whatever manual on hand to the 2.7L... might take a little longer for someone to do this reliably or an aftermarket shop to do "clean" conversions, but people are crazy! :ROFLMAO:

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

ragingclue

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LWN ZR2, NA8, Bricks
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Being manufactured in China was only part of what caused the MT-82 debacle. Engineering oversights (maybe or maybe not at the behest of bean counters) and the worst remote mounted shifter bracket perhaps ever contributed their fair share as well. Less than a week into ownership, I came somewhat close to redline in second gear and pedal stuck to the floor for a bit, stuck in gear... yup... also locked me out of the gate when driving hard a few times... so from there the first thing I did was MGW shifter assembly and a larger ID braided clutch line, changed the fluid to Amsoil something or other too. Relatively cheap mods IMO. Got to 66k on that car with no issues and I was not easy on it. The transmission itself behaved as well as the TR6060 in the SS or any Getrag I've had in BMWs... AFTER addressing the issues with those band aids. But yeah you shouldn't have to take those preventative measures in the first place as an owner, and many didn't get as lucky as I did. IIRC the proper solution was to replace the clutch as there were issues with the OE unit but I don't know. It's been so long since I've even looked into it.

We'll see if they collectively have learned their lesson when moving to the MT-88. But.... this is the company that also (and worse yet) pushed out the DSP6. I hope they don't screw it up this time.

Last edited:

Sponsored

brrke

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 NA8 Miata
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

GETRAG is owned now by Magna a Canadian company. GETREG has a couple joint operations with chinese manufacturers. Personally getting the manual and 2.3,

Last edited by a moderator:

tokyo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
siennavenzasparkXDfit
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

After a couple threads here today regarding Turbos, reliability and premium fuel requirements I may take a pass until there is a naturally aspirated engine available.
No premium fuel requirement, unless you consider 87 premium. In fact the 2.7 auto-senses the octane level and adjusts accordingly.

rgwinn

First Edition
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘62 Vette
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Well, considering Ford has probably put about 2 million 2.7L/ 10 Speed autos on the road since 2017 I’m guessing they have worked out some of the kinks. So, not really a concern to me.

tokyo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
siennavenzasparkXDfit
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

He usually drives a Silverado with the 5.3L and he says the power just does not compare. I think it's mostly because he hated the turbo lag over the instant power of his V8 and didn't have much to do with the engine or trans in the Ford.
I hear this from people and scratch my head because the 2.7 has no turbo lag and definitely compares well in power.

Weird how we can drive the same truck and come away with such different impressions.

I test drove them all and I liked the 2.7 better than the 5.0 Coyote and the 5.3. I could have had any I wanted and I voted for the 2.7 with my wallet.

And I was a hardcore V8 guy! Since my '68 firebird I drove in high school back in '86 I've always had at least one V8 in the driveway. So I was as surprised as anyone!

Driving was believing for me :)

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I drove my jeep yesterday it has a 5 speed manual not the fastest rig on the road but it was so much fun,a simple errand to drop something off at the post office was made more enjoyable. Im getting the manual its like a revolver way more durable than autos in my experience ,politics aside and since we are buying year one of a brand new truck i think thats the best call.
If your really worried about the longevity why not lease for 2 years if its crap give it back ,if v8 platypus model comes out get that. Any model can have a lemon in 2002 i ordered a f250 v10 6 speed 4wd awesome truck ,1 week later i look under see a drip of engine oil?the rear main seal must have been nicked the fixed it and i drove that truck forever never had anothe mechanical issue ..go figure 1 week leak lol.

Sponsored

Hemisfear

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 2.3L has coking Issues and requires maintenance levels I’m simply not used to in order to keep the engines from getting carbon build up issues.
Geez, maybe I should tell that to my 2014 Focus ST with 240,000kms, it's direct injected too and have never noticed an "issue"?

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I hear this from people and scratch my head because the 2.7 has no turbo lag and definitely compares well in power.

Weird how we can drive the same truck and come away with such different impressions.

I test drove them all and I liked the 2.7 better than the 5.0 Coyote and the 5.3. I could have had any I wanted and I voted for the 2.7 with my wallet.

And I was a hardcore V8 guy! Since my '68 firebird I drove in high school back in '86 I've always had at least one V8 in the driveway. So I was as surprised as anyone!

Driving was believing for me :)
I was the same way with all these turbo engines! I didn’t believe it until I drove one.

I also don't really notice turbo lag, but he was also towing and I have only towed with the 3.5L. I think Ford does an awesome job minimizing turbo lag to a point where it's almost unnoticeable, but I do feel that my friend's 5.3L Silverado accelerates more efficiently. I am happy with Ford's ecoboosts, but he wasn't. To each their own.

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So I would like to hear from all you who have or have had one of the 3, the 2.7 V6, the 2.3 truck engine (so ranger owners), or a ford that has the 10 speed auto (10R80). I want to really dig down to what might be the strongest, long lasting setup, I would prefer to get the V6 with the manual, but since that's not possible, it's either 2.3 manual or V6 auto. I want the 2.7 so I was going to try for the auto but after trying to find any issues with the transmission I've noticed a recent trend of people coming forward with major issues with their 10 speed, They will slam into a gear or leak or something similar. My mother in law has had the 10 speed for about 2 months and it already has gone back to the shop to get repairs in the transmission, it wouldn't go into reverse. So I'm hesitant to settle for the auto. So that means 2.3 manual, but for one, it's a brand new unproven transmission so who knows if it will be worse, and I will have to settle for the smaller motor.

So here's my questions:
Have any of you had problems with the gen2 2.7 V6?
Have any of you had problems with the 10 speed? What do you think the failure right for them is?
Is the 2.3 powerful enough to have fun with or is it a bit of a punk motor?
Do you think the new manual will be strong enough for what the bronco can do? and do you think we can push a fun amount of torque above factory safely through them?
Ooh man, good luck with this.
Sponsored