Tiger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1976 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Glad to know that my Bronco will have a connection to the State where it will be a daily driver! Sweet Home Alabama! No! Don't say those cuss words to me in response......it's WAR DAMN EAGLE for me!! ;) :cool:
Sponsored

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 4runner, '10 Town & Country
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

ArcelorMittal sold its us businesses to Cleveland Cliffs on September 20th, last month. That includes the facility that makes this metal. I researched ArcelorMittal, which is an indian owned coorp in Luxemberg. Mittal purchased Arcelor in a hostile takeover over a decade ago. They were also convicted of price fixing and involved with "black snow" scandals in Europe. They have nothing to do with Fortiform 980 GI at this point. This is in response to someones comment that we should all start investing in ArcelorMittal, and that ArcelorMittal is an American company. Misguided advice and false information.

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
ArcelorMittal sold its us businesses to Cleveland Cliffs on September 20th, last month.
1.4 bil sale.

" On September 28, 2020, the company acquired the United States steel mill interests of a global firm, ArcelorMittal, for approximately $1.4 billion. With this acquisition and AK Steel, Cleveland-Cliffs will be the largest producer of flat-rolled steel and iron ore pellets in North America with a capacity of 17 million tons of steel and 28 million long tons of pellets. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland-Cliffs_Inc.

Last edited:

RockEye

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Subaru WRX STI, 2DR Badlands Reservation
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Back when I was a aerospace inspector I used to test and review materials for aircraft parts. I looked at thousands of material certifications over the years. I don't remember ever failing ArcelorMittal material. So from personal experience, this sounds great to me.

jdogi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm in Michigan, so only one question... what are the corrosion resistance properties :LOL:

Sponsored

CWO4

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

From the article: "a lower gage than the original DP800 and DP600 found in the earlier Bronco, which enables weight savings"

Unless this new Bronco steel is significantly lighter in weight than the older steel, having a thicker but lighter weight panel seems at odds in terms of properties. I wonder if Ford Authority made a mistake using the term "lower gage"? Otherwise to be lower in weight but thicker, the new steel would have to be a lightweight type of steel.
Kevlar

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The article also mentions the new Bronco steel will be "a lower gage than the original DP800 and DP600 found in the earlier Bronco". Hopefully this lower gage will not negatively impact rust and strength under certain situations.

My first vehicle was an old '65 Mustang. One night in college, I got a call from the campus police. Drunk students had been running on top of vehicles in the dorm parking lot.

I arrived outside to inspect the damage. None to the outside of my Mustang. But the tops of the other cars and some hood/trunks were dented and buckled. I attributed that in part to the rather thick metal of my older Mustang.
It's not the thickness, but the strength. Older cars had lower-grade, weaker steel than current vehicles. Weaker steel needs to be thicker to have the strength of a stronger alloy. The best case is the strongest steel because you can use less (thinner, lighter). But stronger steel is more expensive, which is why the strongest steel isn't used everywhere. It's also why aluminum and carbon fiber are finding their way into more parts.

redflipppper`

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Wildtrak LUX 3.0 HOSS, 2.7 SAS
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ford Selects ArcelorMittal As Sole Gen 3 Steel Supplier For 2021 Bronco

ArcelorMittal has announced that Ford has selected its Fortiform 980 GI as the sole source of third-generation advanced high-strength steel for the 2021 Ford Bronco. The 2021 Bronco will be the first automobile in the world to incorporate this grade of steel, which is made at AM/NS Calvert in Alabama.

“Ford called us to see if we could develop this specific type of steel. We were actually already in the development phase so we discussed the opportunities as well as where they could utilize this material and for which vehicle,” said Michael Lizak, global technology coordinator for Ford at Automotive Product Applications R&D. “Ford’s chief engineer gave us a goal to decrease the total vehicle weight reduction by 10 percent. In terms of safety, we selected a higher strength material, which gives Ford a huge safety advantage.”​

Ford places a huge priority on the ductility of steel and this grade comes from a family of high formability grades, meaning it has an excellent balance of both strength and ductility, a key concern for the new Ford Bronco. In addition, the automaker found its weldability superior to the competition.

Additionally, Ford’s light-weighting strategy and safety requirements align perfectly with the high strength steel, which is a lower gage than the original DP800 and DP600 found in the earlier Bronco, which enables weight savings with complex shape through better formability.

ArcelorMittal’s co-engineering capabilities, which fostered the close collaboration between ArcelorMittal R&D and Ford’s design and welding experts, played a pivotal role in this project.

“We had a product, that was engineered to have very good weldability desired by Ford,” said Jayanth Chintamani, director, automotive product research, ArcelorMittal R&D. “Ford conducts many tests before granting the product application ready status (AR). No other steel grade had been tested this much because this steel grade was so new and unique.”​
“From a process perspective, because this was a coated product, we enlisted the coating experts on my team along with the product design experts,” Chintamani added. “We then made sure that the target-critical processing parameters during various stages of industrial manufacturing were met with support from process experts at R&D as well.”​
The R&D team also worked closely with the joint venture (JV) partners at AM/NS Calvert as the steel is made on their upgraded line. “We brought this technology from ArcelorMittal R&D in East Chicago to the JV line in Calvert, Alabama,” Chintamani said. “By designing the product at R&D and bringing it to Calvert for manufacturing we are adding value to Calvert JV operations and ArcelorMittal at large.”

This specific patented steel product was created for applications like the 2021 Bronco, but as ArcelorMittal noted, Ford is also considering its use in other, future models.

Via Fordauthority.
May be made in USA but this is what I found:

ArcelorMittal S.A. is a Luxembourgish multinational steel manufacturing corporation headquartered in Luxembourg City. It was formed in 2006 from the takeover and merger of Arcelor by Indian-owned Mittal Steel. Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArcelorMittal

https://www.google.com/search?q=arc...l2j0i433j0.2905j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco Will be First in World to Use Fortiform 980 GI Grade Steel 1602715827457

Sponsored

mjopp

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door Basesquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ford Selects ArcelorMittal As Sole Gen 3 Steel Supplier For 2021 Bronco

ArcelorMittal has announced that Ford has selected its Fortiform 980 GI as the sole source of third-generation advanced high-strength steel for the 2021 Ford Bronco. The 2021 Bronco will be the first automobile in the world to incorporate this grade of steel, which is made at AM/NS Calvert in Alabama.

Via Fordauthority.

BroncoJeremie

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Well yes but the old tacos used to rust due to the boxed framed without any proper drain holes resulting it rusting from the inside out, also why the new tacos no longer use a boxed frame

Chief1301

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Mustang GT Premium; 1994 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wrong. Lower gauge = thicker metal

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
1.4 bil sale.

" On September 28, 2020, the company acquired the United States steel mill interests of a global firm, ArcelorMittal, for approximately $1.4 billion. With this acquisition and AK Steel, Cleveland-Cliffs will be the largest producer of flat-rolled steel and iron ore pellets in North America with a capacity of 17 million tons of steel and 28 million long tons of pellets. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland-Cliffs_Inc.
May be made in USA but this is what I found:

ArcelorMittal S.A. is a Luxembourgish multinational steel manufacturing corporation headquartered in Luxembourg City. It was formed in 2006 from the takeover and merger of Arcelor by Indian-owned Mittal Steel. Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArcelorMittal

https://www.google.com/search?q=arc...l2j0i433j0.2905j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

1602715827457.png
Sponsored

Last edited: