Sponsored

Ford + Google = No Thank You. Ford Navigation to be Powered by Android Starting 2023

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
Why would anyone pay for built-in navigation these days?
With CarPlay and my phone, I have that for free (or, at least not an extra payment).
This x100

Why are we still pretending built in navigation has a place in vehicles in 2021. I have more use for a cigarette lighter in my truck and I don’t smoke.
Sponsored

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

With CarPlay and my phone, I have that for free (or, at least not an extra payment).
agreed. plus if you use other navigation apps like Gaia, apple and google maps don't even include trails, etc.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

New Ford vehicles are "connected" and Ford Pass "connects" your device to the car. I use the eco-system and generally find giving up my privacy for sake of usability of my technology is a good deal. I get those who would rather not share and typically you have opt out options with Ford or any of the other manufacturers, but you have to actively seek to understand and limit what you share. I work in the data business and had exposure to the OEMs perspectives and data management requirements in the recent past. They are, in general, more protective and conservative than most other companies you interact with in a "connected" way.

MtnRanger

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

2023 Bronco will ditch sync4 for goog1?

Sponsored

OrlandoBroncos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Same, if your bent is of the 'gub'mint' coming down and stealing all your data and turning you into a soylent product, then of course this is bad news.

HOWEVER, if you've ever seen how well the Apple integration works in a BMW or a Tesla, and how Android is treated as a passing afterthought, this is very very good news.
Tesla doesn't work with Apple CarPlay at all.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I just paid extra for the connected on the Bronco. I also have built in on my F150. Reason is I am off grid an awful lot and dont want to deal with updating my offline on my phone so its just convenience.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
They had a sale on Pioneer Apple CarPlay units for $200 so I threw one into my beater 99 Frontier and it now has a better infotainment system than my 2017 $50K V8 sedan.

The moment in car navigation leaves factory it is out of date and useless. This is a waste of time and money.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That sucks! For a guy who doesn’t use a lot of those features could be totally fine with all that shit turned off as long as I could connect my phone for music.
Doesn't that promo read like a solution in search of a problem? I can't think of the last time I was in my car thinking, "Hey, car, help me shop for another car." :rolleyes:

rak2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda MX5 - sold
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
FWIW, my personal desire is to have the least electronic toys possible, No software that might require future updates, and No tracking, monitoring, data feed, or disabling devices what so ever.

Push back - don't accept someone else's statement that it is inevitable.

From someone that has not submitted a reservation request yet - still waiting for more information/details.

rak2

Sponsored

72BroncoSand

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 Bronco, 77 f-150, Jetta Tdi, 1ton
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

All I know is the stock jumped today, and that makes me happy!

OP
OP
RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You're welcome to rage against it, but unless you're ready to give up pretty much all modern conveniences, there's really nothing you can do about it.
The System thanks you for your willful compliance, citizen.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This. Apathy is what gets you China/North Korea.
It's not apathy. It's understanding where company revenue streams come from. Nothing in this world is free, so how can GoogTwitbook provide their services for free?

If you want to partake in our connected world, you decide which trade off you want. Take away the marketing revenue stream and we'll be paying $1 per Google search or .50 per tweet and that $800 cell phone will be $1500. Or they won't exist at all.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
It's not apathy. It's understanding where company revenue streams come from. Nothing in this world is free, so how can GoogTwitbook provide their services for free?

If you want to partake in our connected world, you decide which trade off you want. Take away the marketing revenue stream and we'll be paying $1 per Google search or .50 per tweet and that $800 cell phone will be $1500. Or they won't exist at all.
I don’t want any of their services, that’s the point. I don’t shop at Sephora because I’m a dude and I don’t use Facebook because I’m under 50 years old. I similarly don’t use google because the alternatives are better.
Sponsored