Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yup...not worth the hassle imo.

Also by the time you buy everything you need you don't save that much.
Your mileage may vary but the last time I had a shop do my Tacoma it was over $100 for synthetic oil change. Versus $35-40 (being generous) in supplies and 15-30 min of my time if that.
Sponsored

Jackattack

Badlands
First Name
Jarmon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bullsh
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's an easy task for sure! Just a little dirty. Few things to be mindful of though, make sure your warrantee doesn't require you to have your oil changed by an accredited servicer. Taking your vehicle to somewhere like 5 munite oil change, while pricey, they do report every change to something like Kelly blue book. Help resale exponentially.

TNcoupe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 1970 Bronco, 1955 T Bird
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll be glad to be getting a vehicle I can get back under again without ramps or jackstands.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Buying synthetic when it's on sale will save a fair bit of money over paying someone to do it.

Doesn't take long, isn't as hard to get rid of as some say, and you know what went in and know it was done right.

I'll definitely take it in if I'm feeling lazy, or the truck is in for something else but for the most part it's done at home.

Dlerojo

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Change it once and it put on a fumoto valve. It will make it a lot cleaner after that.

Changing your own oil is pretty easy. Sometimes its not worth it though. You're looking at at least $35 in materials. Then factor in the mess, time to do it, and to drop off the oil at a recycle location.

or you can spend a few more bucks sit in a cozy waiting room and eat cookies and coffee while someone else does the work.

If you can find a place that will do it for $50-$60 its probably worth it to have someone else do it. More than that and maybe do it yourself.

Sponsored

Coldsmoke

Badlands
First Name
Knuckles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm sitting at a pep boys right now with an hour-long wait, to get my oil changed. I know with the Bronco, I want to change my own oil

For those of you planning to change your own Bronco's oil, do you plan to just slide under there and figure it out yourself? Or will you let the techs do it first and pick it up from there on after?

I don't imagine the Bronco being too different than say, a Ranger. But this is coming from someone who has never changed oil before a day in his life

Be gentle... my dad didn't teach me these things šŸ˜‡
I don't know about you, but I take my vehicle to Ford and pay $39 for "The works" package. They change the oil, replace the filter, rotate the tires, inspect the brakes, check the condition of the battery, and fill all the fluids, no appointment necessary. In addition, when I take it back to the dealer I bought it from, they wash the car too. I have no compunction to climb under my vehicle and screw around changing the oil when I can get all that for $39. It just doesn't make sense.

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Well for the folks that say it not worth their time to change their own oil,its a great time while waiting for oil to drain to look over everything at close range for damage or problems.

A favorite of auto parts places when you carry your 5 gal container is " our tank is full,or it got contanimated"

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Geez, all the whining about disposal.
I just take it to Auto Zone or which ever parts store.
Never had an issue. I use either a 5 gallon bucket and sealing lid or the catch pans with lids they sell every where.

That being said, the only cars I change myself are the ones I can slide under without ramps or jackstands.... trucks.
If I had a lift. I'd do them all myself.

I rotate my tires myself also, no crawling under for that.

hotrodtim

Wildtrak
First Name
TIM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 EXPEDITION,2009 F150,2003 LINCOLN AVIATOR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yes I will be servicing my new Bronco as I do all my vehicles since new. I quess I am fortunate to have that in my genes along with the necessary equipment . :cool:

OP
OP
Vigor

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Lots of good and varied opinions in here. Thank you everyone!

I want to change my own oil to have that closer connection with my Bronco (not money related). But someone mentioned "the works" with Ford for only $39 that includes oil change and so much more. Honestly that's a good way to go because it gives your truck a chance to periodicly be looked at by Ford.

Sponsored

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Lots of good and varied opinions in here. Thank you everyone!

I want to change my own oil to have that closer connection with my Bronco (not money related). But someone mentioned "the works" with Ford for only $39 that includes oil change and so much more. Honestly that's a good way to go because it gives your truck a chance to periodicly be looked at by Ford.
The only trick to taking it to the dealer (or anywhere else) is knowing about your car so you can tell them to shove it when they suggest services you don't need. Even if you have a brand new cabin air filter, belts, air filter, etc, they will lie to your face about it. Stand firm on the upsells!

TenSeven

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OP, you need to check out ChrisFix on YouTube.

No BS, no "you to buy this special tool", or other foolishness from him. From the simple to the fairly complex, he shows how to work on cars and trucks.

I've been working on cars longer than he's been alive, so I really don't often learn anything new from his videos but I do often learn another way to do things that may be simpler/better.

ChrisFix - How To Change Your Oil

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I don't know about you, but I take my vehicle to Ford and pay $39 for "The works" package. They change the oil, replace the filter, rotate the tires, inspect the brakes, check the condition of the battery, and fill all the fluids, no appointment necessary. In addition, when I take it back to the dealer I bought it from, they wash the car too. I have no compunction to climb under my vehicle and screw around changing the oil when I can get all that for $39. It just doesn't make sense.
That's the ticket I use right there. I think it winds up being around 45 bucks for me after the fees, and crap are added. But, getting the tires rotated in the package makes it worth it to me.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

The nice thing about my Jeep, and I am sure a Bronco as well, is you can just roll underneath with wrench and pan and pull the plug: no jacking required.

TenSeven

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The only trick to taking it to the dealer (or anywhere else) is knowing about your car so you can tell them to shove it when they suggest services you don't need. Even if you have a brand new cabin air filter, belts, air filter, etc, they will lie to your face about it. Stand firm on the upsells!
Exactly this! That's how they really make their money. Know what you do and don't need.

Sure, they will change your oil on the cheap with the cheapest oil they can find, but when they "notice a small problem" (and they will notice, that's their $$$), they're going to charge you 3-4-5x the price of buying the part and doing it yourself.

ETA: Americ's Tire shops in my area rotate tires free of charge.
Sponsored