BoJack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is when you know a vehicle forum has lost its soul--the rise in oil change threads. ;)

Really, if you find metal shards/scraps and changed it at 100 miles, it is game over. Send your oil to Blackstone and have them check it out. I did mine at 5K and a friend--who can't defend himself against me using that f-word about him--changed his around 1K and Blackstone said both were fine and typical for factory fill. Our sediment and metal numbers were different; some of his higher, some lower.
Did some more reading on the "1k oil change". Apparently it was a recommendation from older generation cars where metal work was not a precise as today. I guess thats where the "metal shards" statement comes from. But no site said not to do it. That it would not harm anything and could only be beneficial or a moot point. I dont normally do the 1k oil change but I actually own the bronco where all prior cars were lease. Would rather take the extra care for peace of mind. :giggle:

M7 23

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
As an aside... if you don't put many miles on your Bronco... avoid filling up the gasoline tank all the way when you know you won't be using it that often. Fuel these days has ethanol in it which is an organic compound that tends to attracts moisture in the air. Admittedly not a big deal if you are in a state like Arizona. But where you are in humid Florida... if you can't get through an entire tank of fuel in ~8 weeks time, it's a good idea to just not fill it up all the way.
Interestingā€¦I thought you would want to leave it filled up as much as possible in order to reduce the amount of air in the tank?

0ne

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Base
2.7ltr. No engine/computer mods. Changed myself at ~4200, oil life at 1%, a year had elapsed, metal and miscellaneous debris deep in the pleats of the filter. There was fuel contamination and about 7 quarts came out quick, didnā€™t wait for an hour to get a ā€œcomplete drain.ā€ Refilled with 6 quarts of Motorcraft synthetic blend and a factory filter/o-rings. Re-used the drain plug/o-ring and the new fill registers at the top hole above hashes. Did not pre-lube engine using ā€œclear flood modeā€ as the filter chamber drains completely after ~30mins of not running so day to day operation presents the same scenario of oil drain back.

Last edited:

KirchTX

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I changed it just before 2k so I could look cool with the internet bros.

Also bc this is my first ā€œnewā€ car and the first time Iā€™m changing my own oil so just wanted to learn how.

And Iā€™ll change on the 5 or 0 from here on out. Itā€™s not too hard but man it would have been nice if Ford could have designed the drain to shoot down instead of at the driver side tire. I grabbed the Ronin plug on Amazon prime day sale for the 2nd change.

Costco sells Mobil1 6 pack and itā€™s on sale all the time so I grab one when I see it go on sale. I take the old oil to oriely and get an OEM filter while Iā€™m there.

My first change I followed all the YouTube videos and put in 7qt. Then I learned Ford updated the manual to 6qt. How Ford boned that one I have no idea.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Interestingā€¦I thought you would want to leave it filled up as much as possible in order to reduce the amount of air in the tank?
I had always heard that as well, but that was definitely pre-methanol days, so it may have changed.

I think the idea is to keep as little bad gas as possible so you can refill with fresh later and get a better dilution ratio.

But yes, todays gasoline is freaking nasty and wreaks all kinds of havoc (especially) on older vehicles and boats/equipment that does not see constant use.

OscarHTX

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Going to change over to Molygen at 1k miles.

And change every 5k miles. It'll never hurt to change the oil in an engine and as little as we'll drive ours, it'll be 5k miles or every year, which ever comes first.

It's so easy to change the oil on these things, I don't see why doing an oil change more frequently to be that much of a hassle.

Fly by Nite

Base
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 F-150 Nite, 2001 Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ethanol gas can get nasty after it absorbs moisture from the air. This is the fuel pump from my '91 F-150..... the BRASS fuel level float dissolved away to nearly nothing.
I still use ethanol gas for driving, but make sure to replace it with ethanol-free when it's not being driven.
Ford Bronco Your first oil change mileage? 1693839295364

PolarVortex

Black Diamond
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Black Diamond, Craftsman tractor
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I do the first oil change at 1,000 miles with full synthetic that meets Ford spec. Replace drain plug with Ronin one.

Then it is oil change once a year or 7500k, which ever comes first. A modern synthetic with a quality filter can last 10k no problems.

Iā€™m weird. I also do the diffs and transfer case at the first 1,000 miles. After that I do those fluids every couple of years, or 20-40k miles, which ever comes first. But if you do a water crossing, you really should change out the fluid.

Brake fluid every 2 years for me.

Coolant, a basic drain and fill every 2 years. Not a full flush, just basic radiator lower hose drain.

Transmission 40-60k.
Nice, logical summation of the core stuff bro. Good info for new Bronco owners. I just hit almost 1400 miles and about to do my first OC. Thanks!

Jossman

Wildtrak
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 F150,2011 Mustang,2013 F150,2006 HD
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My 1st oil change at 1150 miles.Was worried about the mess I had seen in some of the videos when removing the yellow plastic drain plug on the 2.7 .Used a 12 qt bucket vs a low profile drain pan,turned plug just a little waited a few minutes then kept pressure while slowly turning CCW.Did not even get a drop of oil on garage floor by using bucket's xtra height.Let oil finish draining for about 30 minutes while getting new oil + filter housing o- rings ready to go Installed Ronin drain plug + 6.2 qts of AMSOIL to bring dipstick reading to where it has been from day 1 . Will raise front driver side a bit next oil change as that will allow more oil to drain as had read the RONIN plug kept a small amount of old oil in the oil pan + will put a piece of 5/8 ID hose on the RONIN plug drain tool to go directly into the bucket,if all goes as planned should be easiest oil change ever.I still get some oil mess when doing Mustang + F150 with conventional oil filters. Guess you can teach an old dog new tricks!

2e8c9e863156d6b1731441db21f4f277.jpeg

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have not seen ethanol free gas in at least 20 years. (other than 100LL avgas)
Sponsored