Sponsored

Recommended mileage for first oil change?

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like to do the first one at 1000 miles, then I follow the monitor. I believe the monitor takes into account many factors such as rpm, temp, and time and is pretty accurate. Todays engines and oils are much better than decades ago. I know my '13 mustang oil life monitor tracked time, because one time when I was leaving town for a couple weeks I recorded the percentage and when it check it later it had gone down a percent or 2.

Rjacks258

Wildtrak
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco, 2019 Ford F250, 2009 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I believe turbo motors need the oil changed more often than motors without turbos. So 2500,5000 and then every 5000 after that
Here we go…..

Rjacks258

Wildtrak
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

First oil change, they recommend around 3k miles.
Who is “they”?
Only number anywhere for this truck is 10k.
break in, schmake in, turbo……well you get it.

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
5,000. When in doubt ask your dealer

Sponsored

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm in the 2,500 mile first oil change, then 5,000 mile, then 5,000 mile intervals after that.

My question is will Ford honor the Warranty if I do the oil changes myself, or do they need to be performed by a Dealership? This Bronco is the first vehicle I have bought that was new enough to actually have a powertrain warranty.

TNBadBronc

Badlands
First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco/ 2004 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did my first oil change at 1,000. Got out the factory oil, and switched to full synthetic. Will do the next change at 5,000. And every 5k after that.

Oh, I did find a tiny tiny piece of metal in the oil filter at the 1,000 mile change. Not sure if it came from the engine, or just the housing for the filter (2.7) Either way, glad I got it out of there.

Morrisattack

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BRONCO AND BRONCO
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm in the 2,500 mile first oil change, then 5,000 mile, then 5,000 mile intervals after that.

My question is will Ford honor the Warranty if I do the oil changes myself, or do they need to be performed by a Dealership? This Bronco is the first vehicle I have bought that was new enough to actually have a powertrain warranty.
Just keep your receipts

ABorges

Base
First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 F100
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Who is “they”?
Sorry, my dealership recommended between 3,000 to 5,000.

Sponsored

Rjacks258

Wildtrak
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Are you saying I'm wrong?
Yes in short. This isn’t the old days. Technology with turbos, oil, materials used to build things is a zillion percent better than the old Banks turbo you threw in the old 6.9IDI that you have to wait four days for cool down. Plus, do you really think anyone is driving their Bronco hard enough to warrant a cool down? Or early oil changes? Few maybe. Do you think everyone with turbo engines, and believe me almost everything is turbo’d these days from the manufacturer, are actually having issues because they aren’t changing their oil much much earlier than what Ford or other OE’s recommend? Ford says 10k for oil changes, do you know better than they? Plus warranty issues? First, let’s see how many oil related failures are out there, then, Let’s see if it can be proved that it was related to intervals.

Morrisattack

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BRONCO AND BRONCO
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yes in short. This isn’t the old days. Technology with turbos, oil, materials used to build things is a zillion percent better than the old Banks turbo you threw in the old 6.9IDI that you have to wait four days for cool down. Plus, do you really think anyone is driving their Bronco hard enough to warrant a cool down? Or early oil changes? Few maybe. Do you think everyone with turbo engines, and believe me almost everything is turbo’d these days from the manufacturer, are actually having issues because they aren’t changing their oil much much earlier than what Ford or other OE’s recommend? Ford says 10k for oil changes, do you know better than they?
I sell 5 turbo motors a week so I'm going to say yes I do. And I'd sell more if they weren't on backorder.

Rjacks258

Wildtrak
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Sorry, my dealership recommended between 3,000 to 5,000.
But Ford didn’t send you a personal message saying don’t listen to our printed recommendation of 10k?

Sounds like snake oil salespeople to me. They prolly just want you there more often.

Rjacks258

Wildtrak
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I sell 5 turbo motors a week so I'm going to say yes I do. And I'd sell more if they weren't on backorder.
a whole 5? If that makes you an expert…..there are also prolly more models with Turbos than what you have backordered. So only 5? Lol
Chest thumping madman you are. Go on with your early oil changes. Surprised Ford, or anyone for that matter, hasn’t scooped you up for all that knowledge. If I had to guess, and I’m prolly wrong, you gotta be at least 55-60? Lol.

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Not quite.

The owner's manual says normal driving: 7500-10,000 miles
Severe driving: 5000-7500
Extreme driving: 3000-5000

I drive a lot in mountainous or off-road conditions, so I changed mine at 7500.

I would trust Ford's recommendations over the fools that want to change the oil every few thousand miles, like was needed for cars 50 years ago, but not for the new ones.
Sponsored