Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My top three:
  • Pennzoil Ultra Platinum
  • Amsoil Signature Series
  • Motorcraft Full Synthetic
Usually go with the Motorcraft, as I can just go to my dealership's parts counter and buy oil/filters in bulk and pay for it with FordPass points. The other two I typically only buy when on sale.
I swear the Ultra Platinum didn't meet the specs but the regular platinum did....but maybe that was for my jeep.

Edit... Yup, unless they changed it since I made my notes...

PENNZOIL WARNING:
Ultra Platinum meets Jeep but NOT Ford
Std Platinum meets BOTH MS-6395 + WSS-M2C961-A

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Valvoline Advanced/Extended Full Synth
(WSS-M2C961-A1/GF-6/API-SP)

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

3People1Body

Wildtrak
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak, F150 and Taurus.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30 (my F150 too), I buy it on Walmart.com... cheapest (I've found) and they always have it when I need it.

Oil filter is Motorcraft on 3 Ford's.

Is it the best oil, probably not, but it's in the top few, based on independent testing I've read.

FIREGROUNDIMAGES

Wildtrak
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 HUMMER H3
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
When are you guys doing your 1st oil change...and then following oil changes? Also recommendations on tire rotation?

jacknifetoaswan

Wildtrak
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
When are you guys doing your 1st oil change...and then following oil changes? Also recommendations on tire rotation?
I did my first oil change at about 2,800 miles, then second after about 8,000 miles. The recommendation from Blackstone Labs was to go 8,000 for the next change, then see what the TBN looks like and possibly go 10,000 miles. As for tire rotations, I go 4-5,000 miles between and do a five tire rotation.

Ford Bronco What oil are you running in your 2.7L? Screenshot 2023-07-06 at 11.38.01 AM

JR

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I swear the Ultra Platinum didn't meet the specs but the regular platinum did....but maybe that was for my jeep.

Edit... Yup, unless they changed it since I made my notes...

PENNZOIL WARNING:
Ultra Platinum meets Jeep but NOT Ford
Std Platinum meets BOTH MS-6395 + WSS-M2C961-A
It does meet the specification.

What likely happened is you did your research before Pennzoil had a chance to test their oils and/or update their labels & website. The WSS-M2C961-A1 specification was released in 2020, so if the oil (or the label) was manufactured before 2020, obviously there is no way they could test the oil against a specification that didn’t yet exist.

Back in winter 2020/2021 I bought a 5qt jug of Mobil 1 Full Synth and an extra 1qt in the side for an oil change on a vehicle that required 6 quarts. Labeled looked exactly the same, only difference is the 5qt jug didn’t list the WSS-M2C961-A specification whereas the 1qt did. Obviously that was extremely confusing and I fell into a black hole of researching oil specifications online. Eventually gave up and asked my father (now retired Ford engineer). He asked a few folks that work on lubricants, and it turns out it was exactly the same oil. Just happened to get a 5qt jug that had the old label.

To be honest, I don’t know if the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum had a formula change or not, I suspect it was a simple label update like the Mobil 1. But I can say that the quart sitting in my basement that I bought last year does meet the spec.

Ford Bronco What oil are you running in your 2.7L? IMG_0855

Last edited:

Sponsored

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I did my first one at about 2700- it was about 8 months time though. I have 4K on it now and will do a second one mid August it will have about 4500. It is not driven much. The main driving I do is my work commute, a lengthy 80 miles a day. Bronco is not fuel efficient enough for that. We will be using the Bronco for our summer vacation though and driving it a few thousand miles end of Aug. I use Mobil One Full Synthetic and oil filter from Rock Auto.

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Unless you plan to keep your Bronco over 5 years , changing oil is just wasting money :)

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner-F250-Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have yet to see anything test better than Amsoil. But you pay for it. If you plan to keep your Bronco for a long time I would certainly not go the full 10k miles between changes though. If you change it at 5K or less you can feel confident in using any name brand full synthetic. In fact the Costco full synthetic tests well and is a great price. Thread after thread argues intervals (I know that is not what this thread is about), but it sure is cheap insurance to change it more frequently.

SCB FabWorx

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Cadillac CTS V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm approaching my first oil change and wanted to get opinions on the best oil to run. I'm mostly considering running Motocraft 5w-30 full synthetic, but it is a pain to find anywhere. Suggestions?
I get my Motorcraft oil and filter at CJ Pony parts online.

FIDO

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 expedition, 2013 C-Max Energi & 7 T-Birds
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I use Valvoline full synthetic and change the filter every time. "Makeyouloco" recommends changing every 5K miles to guard against the little filters in turbos and cam phasors from plugging up.
Sponsored