Sponsored

Considering Changing from Badland to Outer Banks. Help!

ajlangley79

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Mustang GT, 21 Audi S5, 20 Hyundia Palisade
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm new and posted a thread earlier that helped me greatly and it was fun! I won't be doing much if any rock crawling so I realized I could get leather and the 2.7L trans and still come almost even with the Outerbanks (But I get 2.7L, Leather, etc.). I could also add options to somewhat (I said somewhat) equip the OB like a BL. If I kept my BL the same and added the 2.7L it would jump the price $3,000+. Here is my original reservation with the Badlands:
  • Rapid Red Badlands, 4dr (Was originally A51, but looks like every Bronco on the Road will be A51)
  • 17" Black High Gloss-Painted Aluminum Wheels (No SAS)
  • Top – Hard Top, Molded-in-Color (MIC)
  • Marine Grade Vinyl Seats
  • 2.3L Manual
  • High Package
  • Accessories: Floor Liners, Roof Rails/Crossbars, Keypad, Towing Capacity
  • $52,735
  • If I add 2.7L and Auto: $55,860
Here is the Outer Banks build:
  • Rapid Red Outer Banks, 4dr (Yep. Changing Color)
  • 18" Bright Machined Black High Gloss-Painted Aluminum Wheel (Don't like these. If we got 33's on this I wouldn't be posting this thread)
  • Top – Hard Top, Molded-in-Color (MIC)
  • Leather-Trimmed/Vinyl Seats – Roast with Black Onyx
  • 2.7l Auto
  • High Package
  • Rear Locking Differential, 4.27 Locking Rear Axle Final Drive Ratio
  • Accessories: Auxiliary Switches, Floor Liners, Roof Rails/Crossbars, Keypad, Towing Capacity
  • Rock Rails
  • $52,780
I will lose these if I go with the OB over the BL:
  • Wash out interior
  • MGV seats
  • Front Stabilizer Bar Disconnect
  • suspension
  • 33 inch tires (Really don't like the 32 inch tires on the OB)
But would get these for a lower price on the OB:
  • Leather Seats
  • 2.7L Transmission
  • Automatic (although I wouldn't mind the manual)
  • Tube step
I feel I can change the tires out myself on the OB and still get some of those eye candy goodies. I would still be able to jump off road and do what I want although the BL will leave me in the dust if I ever get to the rock trail. I'm sure most of you all would still go with the BAD but this does give me something to think about since I won't be extreme off roading.
Sponsored

martyb

Badlands
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra Denali, VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you can stomach the OBX interior it sounds reasonable....

Chuck_Ruck

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Wrangler, Eldorado, Harley, Triumph
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Are you getting a 4dr?
Because I'm lost how I'm putting $4k less and more options on my build.

Screenshot_20210405-111817_Yahoo Mail.jpg

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

About the same arguments I came up with btwn a v6, sqautch BD with mid and mod or manual BL with high and optional wheels. I pushed back to '22 since I want white top and still haven't decided between the 2 at roughly the same cost. Choose what's important to you, wheels/tires/suspension are easy to change but not cheap plus there are companies like katzkin that'll give you leather covers in your choice of colors, also for a cost.

Sponsored

Fordmanbob

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 4x4 supercrew, 2006 F350 4x4 superc.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I went the other way. From OBX to WT. Didn't care for the painted flares and wanted a mod top😤 and others things. Love tge black/ roast interior...wish the WT had it. To each his own. Whatever your choice you stay with......you'll enjoy it I believe. That's why there is so many trims. Good luck brother

OP
OP
ajlangley79

ajlangley79

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Are you getting a 4dr?
Because I'm lost how I'm putting $4k less and more options on my build.

Ford Bronco Considering Changing from Badland to Outer Banks. Help! Screenshot_20210405-111817_Yahoo Mail
Whoa... YES. 4dr for me ... Your build would have changed everything for me if it was a 4dr

Papa Smurf

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco WT. ‘23 Maverick. Hybrid. '23 Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You ran into the same dilemma I had. I ended up with the OBX. Either way though, my final price will likely be the same.... changing rims and tires to what I want vs either stock. Lift and suspension to what I want. I’ll even be changing the seats out to Katzkin so I’m staying away from leather. It all depends on how much you want to do yourself and how much you want to keep stock.

Tdifonzo

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had the same decision to make. Ultimately went with the OBX for the following reasons:

1) I wanted to get things like the 2.7L and Lux package that I couldn't get aftermarket. You can always upgrade suspension/wheels/tires later.
2) Roast leather interior seems more old school to me.
3) I want to keep the outside looking like a 1st gen Bronco as well and my personal opinion is that the black fender flares seem very Wrangler. I think some taller/beefier tires with the painted fender flares is going to look awesome. If I end up changing my mind I'm sure the black plastic fender flares will be very cheap to purchase.
4) Couldn't imagine spending $50k and having black plastic door handles.
5) Have no use for a sway bar disconnect.

Happy choosing!

OP
OP
ajlangley79

ajlangley79

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You ran into the same dilemma I had. I ended up with the OBX. Either way though, my final price will likely be the same.... changing rims and tires to what I want vs either stock. Lift and suspension to what I want. I’ll even be changing the seats out to Katzkin so I’m staying away from leather. It all depends on how much you want to do yourself and how much you want to keep stock.
Thanks for that because I'm complicating things even more now that I did a Wildtrack build that was 55k and a little less than a Badlands with the 2.7L.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ajlangley79

ajlangley79

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had the same decision to make. Ultimately went with the OBX for the following reasons:

1) I wanted to get things like the 2.7L and Lux package that I couldn't get aftermarket. You can always upgrade suspension/wheels/tires later.
2) Roast leather interior seems more old school to me.
3) I want to keep the outside looking like a 1st gen Bronco as well and my personal opinion is that the black fender flares seem very Wrangler. I think some taller/beefier tires with the painted fender flares is going to look awesome. If I end up changing my mind I'm sure the black plastic fender flares will be very cheap to purchase.
4) Couldn't imagine spending $50k and having black plastic door handles.
5) Have no use for a sway bar disconnect.

Happy choosing!
This was way to much help. Thanks! Your right on all accounts because the OB is coming in 3k less than the BL and WT if with the 2.7L. I like the colored flares and mirrors and don't need the disconnect. I think you've helped me and it is cheaper than the BL and WT.. But I will have to do something about those tires.

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I was in between a loaded OBX and a BL (with MGV). For the OBX, the added costs of the gearing, and 4wd were annoying. The plan was to upgrade to 33s, but the bigger 33s on 18" wheels are E load. So tack on even more money on tires and now 17" rims (with funky offsets) and it seemed like I was trying to cut corners on a build to not save that much.....as for the BL, it was frustrating to have a build with no power seats, and I couldnt justify paying leather when MGV was stock. I also didnt like that the BL ended up being so heavy, and i was going to swap out the grille with an OBX. Didnt like the BL interior either.

Ultimately, I decided that the only way to really "do it right" and get the larger wheel/tire setup, and the OBX interior/grille/handles was to go with a loaded OBX sasquatch. So that's precisely what I did.

OP
OP
ajlangley79

ajlangley79

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was in between a loaded OBX and a BL (with MGV). For the OBX, the added costs of the gearing, and 4wd were annoying. The plan was to upgrade to 33s, but the bigger 33s on 18" wheels are E load. So tack on even more money on tires and now 17" rims (with funky offsets) and it seemed like I was trying to cut corners on a build to not save that much.....as for the BL, it was frustrating to have a build with no power seats, and I couldnt justify paying leather when MGV was stock. I also didnt like that the BL ended up being so heavy, and i was going to swap out the grille with an OBX. Didnt like the BL interior either.

Ultimately, I decided that the only way to really "do it right" and get the larger wheel/tire setup, and the OBX interior/grille/handles was to go with a loaded OBX sasquatch. So that's precisely what I did.
That's what I'm leaning towards... OBX and upgrade the wheels to 33s later. Have you designed a WT build to compare as well since it comes with the SAS and 2.7?
Sponsored