Sponsored

F150, Ford, Rachael Maddow Dont get mad, give it a watch [Off-Topic / Political posts will be deleted - Administration]

How many who viewed this actually watched the video?

• Total voters

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just got an email from ford you can reserve the lighting during the reveal tonight just like the bronco I suspect the site to crash like when the bronco came out is there any 6g members that will reserve a lightning tonight
Sponsored

Moya7

Base
First Name
Maureen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW M240i, 2015 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think the irony here is that electric vehicles are absolutely terrible for the environment and we don’t have the infrastructure to support the current trends as is. Texas was a great example - it’s incredibly hard to ramp up production of electricity and we don’t have the technological means to store electricity on a large scale.

Ford (and everyone else) is pushing electric vehicles because the money is in electric (artificially). Between tax credits for manufacturers and consumers, it’s easy money. Ford gets to charge more and it comes out of the coffers instead of the end users pocket. Ford makes more money. Yay Ford.

The tech is really cool. Can it ever replace petrol engines without major advancements in power generation and storage? No.

I tried to buy a Mach E.. I’m not exactly a hater, but let’s keep it real here. Electric vehicles are more of a stopgap measure being embraced for tax credits. A novelty for the middle class, as it were. You’ll never support a nation full of electric vehicles with green power, either. You likely won’t see it in your lifetime.. the battery tech just doesn’t exist.
I couldn't disagree with you more. You're forgetting the "never having to go to another gas station ever again" part of the equation. We had an electric car with a 100 mile range. We used it for local driving and only managed to run out of juice once, a block from a charging station. :ROFLMAO: And don't get me wrong, I'm a total gearhead, I love F1 and fast cars as much as the next guy/gal, but I'm not blinded by my love of a petrol engine. I just love the sound of my car when I start her up and when I'm pushing her above 5000, nothing like it.

BroncoBilly62

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 GMC 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Electric vehicles need coal and natural gas to generate the electricity to charge the vehicle every 300 miles. What are they going to do with all the hazardous waste the old batteries are going to generate? An electric vehicle takes 10 years before the carbon footprint becomes less than a gas powered vehicle. How long do you think the electric vehicle will last? We have no idea how long the electric motors and batteries will last, not enough data.

Bt_ostate

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor 2021 Bronco 4-Door FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Again though you're focusing on how things are today and not how they can be. The grid will not stay the way it is currently forever and investment is in alternative energies not coal. The proportion of energy sourced from coal will only continue to decrease with time. As for rural charging stations, I'm not sure how it's any different from stating rural America can't support having gas stations dotted across the landscape enough to support ICE vehicles. The infrastructure will develope alongside the adoption of the vehicles. Rural America will be the last hurdle, but at some point the industry will be flipped in favor of supporting electric over ICE and they will manage whatever hurdles get in the way of that.
The gas stations can be a hundred miles or more apart. But fuel range of cars can be 300 to 700 miles. Electric is usually no more than 30. So no rural America isn't going to buy land and then stick charging stations in every 30 miles when in the middle of no where. Isn't going to happen. Hybrid/fuel with the hybrid generating its power from braking eyc is a much better answer for middle and rural America. Ev is the next overhyped failure like ong powered vehicles that were going to take over for fuel. Maybe not in big cities or on the coasts. But they have little value in rural and middle america.

Sponsored

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m all for technological advances but I hope in the race to electric it’s done responsibly. I feel like many of the auto makers are shooting for 2030 to be mostly electric. Mining lithium is not a very green process and there are many articles on the interwebs about it. I hope research on biofuels such as using algae keep going cause I need to put something in the tanks of my classic cars.
Lithium is just a bridge battery technology. The next generation is already in the works. Graphene-based batteries hold the promise of charging 10x faster than lithium without the risk of fire or cooling/heating that lithium batteries need. Any companies not working toward the next technology are stuck in the past. If this comes to pass, the market for electric vehicles will be massive. "Fill up" as fast as a gasoline- or diesel-powered vehicle, get 500 miles of range, less battery weight.

bdub2you

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would have zero qualms
D82306CA-CFBA-40B6-A2D2-1EF0EC261D38.gif
Not exactly relevant. That looks like a one time occurance of plowing through a freshwater flooded spot in a parking lot. I wouldn't have an issue doing that in my Tesla (provided I know the depth). But I'm not going to back down a boat ramp in miami into saltwater with my Tesla, keep the battery pack in the saltwater for 15 minutes, and then park it in the parking lot. Then repeat it at least once a week. You're guaranteed to have issues.

Edit: Also the other issue is that the F-150 won't fit in my garage so I'd have to somehow extend the charging outside.

Last edited:

Moya7

Base
First Name
Maureen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW M240i, 2015 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Base
There's a reason why 1 out of 5 EV owners in CA have switched back to internal combustion vehicles:

It only takes a few minutes to fill up an empty gas tank versus hours to recharge a battery in an EV.

The technology (batteries, charging systems) is not there yet for normal usage.
OK where on earth did you get that statistic? I live in CA and there are thousands of electric cars everywhere and the numbers are increasing daily. There are fast chargers that charge to 80% in 20 minutes, so I'm not quite sure where you are getting your info.

Robertriley

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK, 36 ford convertible, 59 MGA, 57 Mercedes
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Two things that I wasn't a fan of:
1) Is Electric really better? Is it good enough to replace gas F150's for what we use them for today?
2) Blinking! I challenge anyone to count how many times she blinked. I don't know why but towards the end of the video, that was all I could focus on.

Sponsored

Deleted member 21681

Blah blah blah
Thats about the caliber of the green arguments, yes.
Coal only supplies about 20% of US energy now- less than green energy sources.
Renewables provide 19.8%... intermittently. Supplemented with fossil fuels when the sun doesn’t shine and the wind doesn’t blow. Which is typically when energy demands are the highest. So....

ReimundKrohn

Big Bend
First Name
Reimund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rav-4, 2005 F-150 Lariat, 2005 PT GT Conv
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm not entirely sold on the idea that electric vehicles are "greener" or "better". The manufacturing process requires a lot of raw materials and processes that aren't "green". How "green" are the power plants? How many more power plants will we need? Anybody think about battery disposal? I'm not sure we're ready for this transformation... Just my 2 cents...
GreenPeace agrees with you. That says a lot about the “science” behind this movement.

Montana Bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The technology is not perfect yet, but the world is on a path to greatly reduce/eliminate fossil fuels from our energy portfolio. It’s happening, and it will radically change the way we think about energy.

This new pickup from Ford is step along the path into our future.

OP
OP
MaverickMan

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Two things that I wasn't a fan of:
1) Is Electric really better? Is it good enough to replace gas F150's for what we use them for today?
2) Blinking! I challenge anyone to count how many times she blinked. I don't know why but towards the end of the video, that was all I could focus on.
Lots of people have eye issues just ask the later reservations holders o here, they been crying all year. :ROFLMAO:

Deleted member 21681

The part you are missing is that coal is greener than gasoline or diesel. And is being supplemented every day by cleaner and cleaner energy sources. Also if x amount of people use x amount of coal today the 1.2x amount of people 10 years from now will use 1.2x amount of coal. How much is there? Innovation is the only solution outside of genocide and Im not going to Vormir to get the Soul stone for Thanos. That dude is nuts!

As long as it can run on a carb. I want EVs and loud stinky engines.

Other than roofers and that ass in the neighborhood complaining about lawn maintenence guidlines looks at roofs?

Um no.

Where do you live Nova Scotia Because the norther US states have similar latitude as spain.

Our grids can use pumped water storage batteries and run off wind or solar by day. Water power at night. Just redam the dams.
And how much greener does it need to be and how long to offset the footprint of infrastructure and generation manufacturing, not even considering the monumental energy needed to mine, process, and ship the resources to produce the inefficient means we have of storing the energy (batteries) or the ecological devastation that would be the result of the massive required size of the green generation sites. The point is that you cannot look at it simply as A vs B. It is a shortsighted way of looking at a complex situation that is over-simplified to the point of being useless. One step forward and thee steps back isn’t progress. At the end of the day, math doesn’t care about your lofty ideas.
I’m all for innovation. I’d love to have the conversation about nuclear, for example. I’d love to talk about LNG, fracking, and pipelines, but we see that’s obviously not a priority. I’d love to talk about companies making newer, better batteries. But that’s not what we get from the greenies. It’s always “wind and solar, and damn the consequences!” or “intermittency problem intershmitency problem.” These are not the solutions some people seem to think (and I use that word very lightly).
Sponsored