NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Would be nice if Ford could give folks an estimated build date (even as rough as half of year) with and without MIC so that folks could make an informed choice. Alas. As it is, people are moving to soft top without any idea how much sooner that's getting them a vehicle (or indeed, whether it changes their situation much at all).
This would never be possible, because there isn’t a way to estimate timing without knowing how many people would opt to switch. Chicken and egg!
Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Wrangler hardtops after the fact are expensive, Bronco might be similar. I'd caution against getting the hardtop later unless you're a big spender.

Also one of the major pluses of 2-door Bronco is the included hardtop. Would not like losing that. And I don't care about the MIC top it sounds fine. I've driven CJs and TJs with non fancy hardtops no problem.

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I’d switch instantly if it was something like: soft top for production, order hard top at usual cost, free shipping.

Probably won’t happen and the $700 hard top turns into $1000.
The top is definitely already more then $700. MIC is $700 if you forego the soft top. So take the parts catalog price of the soft top, and then add $700-1000 more to get the true retail cost of a standalone MIC top.

MJJ

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon, Jeep Wagoneer, Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Happy for those that want this option.

It wouldn’t do anything for me since I have also checked the box for 2dr, 2.7, lux, tow, Sasquatch and a mod top. I bet I won’t see mine until 2023.

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

If they had done this the beginning (they should have) since they knew about the MIC/Mod top production issues I might have gone this route instead of pushing my order to MY22.

Sponsored

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd be tempted, I wanted dual top and would have put the soft on right away (well, if I should get it in summer/autumn), but I'd be hesitant to make the switch now, since I have all the other sins on my build as well. There would have to be some kind of confirmation that if I do the switch, I'll get my Bronco around x month.
Getting the hard top later is going to be very expensive, doesn't pack down as much as a soft top.

But it would be very tempting, so much easier to go open with the soft top.

I'm also not sure I'd want my dealer to start removing all those panels to install this kit. Probably not a big job, but I'd rather not have my brand new car taken apart before I even get it.

If they install it at the factory and if we find out how much a hard top will cost including shipping and all that, I might consider.

If not I'll just wait and see, and if I get pushed into next year I'll change back to dual top.

And continue hoping that somebody will make a sunrider style soft top for the front two rows on my 4door, that would be my ideal solution, keep the shell on in the back, soft top for the front for easy open and close. Where I live it can be 100+ degree at my house and 60 at the coast (or any given evening if the fog rolls into SF), so always having the roof with me would be ideal.

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If they had done this the beginning (they should have) since they knew about the MIC/Mod top production issues I might have gone this route instead of pushing my order to MY22.
all broncos off the factory should have this hookup

its a massive oversight that i honestly cant believe made it to the production line floor

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

all broncos off the factory should have this hookup

its a massive oversight that i honestly cant believe made it to the production line floor
would be nice, but it's the same with Wrangler. And considering there will be tens of thousands of soft top orders, that adds up quickly, even if the harness and install costs only $10.

They should just make it an option to pay for, I'd be happy to order that, installed in the factory, there if I decide to get a hard top. Well, I'd be happy to pay something reasonable.

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
would be nice, but it's the same with Wrangler. And considering there will be tens of thousands of soft top orders, that adds up quickly, even if the harness and install costs only $10.

They should just make it an option to pay for, I'd be happy to order that, installed in the factory, there if I decide to get a hard top. Well, I'd be happy to pay something reasonable.
again imagine the cost of the hardware to enable modular fenders

its the same deal but ford made a different decision.

the key to this car is modularity and they flubbed the most "modular" part of the car

Brongo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just so long as people realize that the cost for the hard top later could be higher (than waiting for it now straight from the factory with your Bronco order) and the shipping cost will be huge.
But it’ll come with a free sound deadening headliner!

Sponsored

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

again imagine the cost of the hardware to enable modular fenders

its the same deal but ford made a different decision.

the key to this car is modularity and they flubbed the most "modular" part of the car
oh, very true, the bean counters got in the way I think. I can't imagine it's all that much in savings, different switch up front, some wires and a rubber hose and maybe a minute longer in assembly? But here we are. Shortsighted, but probably made sense back when they thought they'd be getting MIC tops by the truck load as needed.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Those thinking it will cost a grand (or two) for a shipped hardtop are going to be in for a surprise. JL 4-door hardtop:

Ford Bronco "Soft Top Cloth w/ Prep Kit" Option Spotted in Ordering System as Possible Hard Top Prewire (For Retrofit Install) Screenshot_20210528-150912

Although the shipping cost did seem reasonable. Probably add another thousand if you are wanting the painted MOD top. And you should also assume it will be on back order well into 2023.

BroncoAgain

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"14 Wrangler JKUR, Ram 2500 6.7 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This is sad. They are building about 1000 a month, 33 a day and they can't get tops for that. Now they want to sell you one without a top and get you one later when they can. Shipping costs alone. Dealer install costs. Trying to get a plastic factory up to speed for full production then add the backlog of past builds without tops. Aftermarket tops on a new Bronco, really, lol. Time to just cancel 2021.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If I could get a 4 door mansquatch right now for 34k with NO TOP I would step right in line. Who cares I live in Hawaii and tarps are cheap!

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If I could get a 4 door mansquatch right now for 34k with NO TOP I would step right in line. Who cares I live in Hawaii and tarps are cheap!
I mean why not? Back in the day CJs came standard without a top IIRC, and didn't the U13 Bronco too?
Sponsored