Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
LOL, I get those calls all the time.
There's a hilarious audio clip floating around where a guy answers the phone & after a minute claims to be a police detective investigating a homicide scene, and begins to question the young female caller on the extent of her relationship with the deceased. He appears to speak to another nearby officer & says he's got a 'person of interest' on the line and says to have HQ trace the call. Of course the girl is going bananas pretty quick.

I assume that clip is a few years old because 90% of the time now you're conversing with an AI computer & can't tell the difference. In fact Many of those calls devolve into the guy hitting on the female caller & trying to get her number.
Sponsored

SuperFord

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I had a bad experience with a Ford extended warranty in the later 1980ā€™s and havenā€™t purchased one since. Long story short, new Tempo needed a valve job at 18,000 miles and service dept cobbled together some excuse why it was my fault and therefore warranty didnā€™t apply. Anyway I guess my butt hurt over that has faded a bit and I am considering an extended warranty for the Bronco.

When purchasing vehicles over the years, Iā€™ve always challenged the dealer when they try to sell me a 5-year warranty on a vehicle that has 36 month factory warranty. I say, ā€œthatā€™s a 2-year warrantyā€ and I always seem to get push back on that. Even with my Texas public school education I can do that math, 5 - 3 = 2. Is there any down side to waiting until the factory warranty is getting ready to expire and buying the extended warranty then? Maybe theyā€™re more expensive?
In regards to this specific question There are two kinds of warrantees. ā€œNew carā€ extended warranty or a ā€œused carā€ extended warranty. You can buy the new car warranty at the lower price all the way up until your factory three-year 36,000 mile warranty expires. You can purchase on day 1 or you can buy it the day before your 3/36 expires. It doesnā€™t matter which but the thing is either way it starts at the original date of purchase.

Used car warranty becomes available after your three years 36,000 miles is up and the warranty doesnā€™t start until the day you buy the policy, but it is also going to be at a higher price..

joeramirez

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram Truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is the price the same if you purchase it at month 35 or 35,900 miles?
You may also want to consider that you can purchase it anytime until your warranty expires. They usually donā€™t tell you that when the finance guy is giving you the shake down.

SuperFord

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Is the price the same if you purchase it at month 35 or 35,900 miles?
essentially, yes. If Iā€™m not mistaken after the first year it goes up by like $100 bucks or some negligible amount. After 3/36 is when it becomes a ā€œused car policyā€ and the price increases significantly.

Last edited:

DEC

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 640, Mustang Bullitt, Mazda 3, Honda Accord,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
All those prices are negotiable despite what the finance guy says. Trust me, what the finance guy says at the end of the sale is all a sales tactic.

Sponsored

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
All those prices are negotiable despite what the finance guy says. Trust me, what the finance guy says at the end of the sale is all a sales tactic.
That's my favorite part of the transaction, saying, No (about 20 times).

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll consider buying the extended warranty when I get closer to the 36-month mark. I think we will have a good idea on how the Bronco is holding up by then too.

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You don't have to be at a dealership to have an opinion on warranties.

If warranties are always good buys, no one would offer them because they would always be losing money.

The Bronco comes with:
3 year / 36,000 mile coverage for everything

5 year / 60,000 mile coverage of powertrain

Buying an additional one is betting against Ford. Ford is betting their vehicle lasts longer than the warrant you bought - if so, they score a profit.

If the vehicle breaks down enough times to cover your warranty cost, you made a good investment - although you have a shitty vehicle.

What I don't like about extended warranties is they "run concurrently" with your factory warranty. If I buy 7 years, 100,000 miles - I am really paying for 2 years/40,000 miles on the powertrain (the biggest expense, I'd say).

I've bought extended warranties in the past - and have yet to even break even on repair costs. My F-150 used up $800 of my warranty cost which was way more than that. Ford won that bet.

Admittedly, a friend bought a Dodge Neon and that was so terrible they actually gave it back under the Lemon Law - so crap vehicles are out there.

But I am thinking of taking the cost of a warranty, stick it into a savings/money market/CD and see if I even use that up in the first 7 years/100,000 miles. I'm betting I won't.

YMMV
I love when people lay things out like this. Very well said!

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored

tyrobronco

Badlands
First Name
CC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco,2017 Ford Fusion Energi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I am assuming you donā€™t have health insurance, car insurance and home insurance? Since itā€™s a bet against insurance companies and they all make money just like Ford.
If Ford offered a 30 year insurance policy at similar rates, it would be worth it.

But I think you knew that. Good try, though.

JimiVegas

Base
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade, Nissan Altima
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

do you guys buy gap insurance through your insurance company or your dealership? I buy gap insurance for all my vehicles just in case but only ever bought it through the dealership.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Get whatever warranty that allows you to replace both turbos on the 2.7 under warranty. That seems to be at the 65,000-70,000 mile mark.

Most people are in it at least $2,500 for the twin turbo replacements with their F150's and the replacement rate is real enough to be worthy of consideration.

If you're going 2.3, then plan on 100K getting you a pair of intake manifold walnut cleanings. Or hedge your bets with $200 on an oil catch can and the factory warranty. You'll probably only need the single walnut blasting to get to 100K miles without issue.

Drivetrain however...... I'm going 2.3 with MT and i'll be going extended warranty to 80K at least. Nobody knows to what extent they enginerded the MT or how robust it will be. I'm expecting it to have issues as it's the only vehicle that will get that specific MT (that we know of as of this post), and it's use is so drastically different than Mustang i'll take a flyer on it's issues for 1st year of prouction.

Ashley5180

First Edition
First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-150, 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I have GEICO auto insurance and we carry the mechanical breakdown coverage. Deductible is 150.00 and it cost 56.00 every six months. Coverage is good for 100k with no year limits. Must be added when vehicle is purchased. I have had Finance guys beg me to please not tell people about it. They never believe me until I have to show them my policy docs.

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The last Chevy extended warranty we paid for and couldn't use because it was always some loophole that kept the issue from being covered. (electrical issue which would have been covered; but oh man it was caused by the switch... Which isn't covered) šŸ˜³šŸ™„
Sponsored