Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco. Sold the 1968 and 2015 mustang GTs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great review, thanks for posting. I agree with your comments now that I've had my Badlands for 2 weeks. I like the soft top overall and it has met or exceeded my expectations. It's clearly better than the soft top on the 97 TJ Wrangler that I daily drove for many years.
Sponsored

OP
OP
KyTruckPlant

KyTruckPlant

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Mustang, 05 F150, 08 Expedition EL, 21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Isn't the point of the windows to look through them from the inside?
One would think!
With all the roof supports, hinges, safety cage, and rear headrests, it's just a big blind spot as far as I'm concerned as a driver. I'm glad I opted for a package that has the blind spot notification. Also glad I got the 12" screen with the 360 view. Originally I huffed at the thought of cameras replacing my old school mirrors, but I've come to appreciate what it brings.

grewhi

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maserati MC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I may have to move from the PNW to Orlando due to work. Any thought on folks in Florida if the Soft top works there with the heat? It was a no-go in Seattle with the Rain and the crime downtown.

DPierce

Outer Banks
First Name
Dawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Toyota 4 Runner
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I've had my badlands for about 2 weeks (950 miles) now. I had originally ordered the MIC, but changed my order back in April when I saw the Webasto iceberg on the horizon. I just thought I'd offer my opinions on the soft top.

It's nice only having to undo the 2 latches to flip it back. I love the ease of operation. The passenger side of my fabric wants to curl under whenever I flip it back to the sunrider position and I have to pull it out and make sure it folds correctly. I don't mind this too much as I always do a walk around to make sure it's good to go anyhow (thus, the purpose of the walk around).

Folding it fully back is pretty easy as well. I learned from a buddy who has already scratched his safety cage up, how to do it properly and not scratch mine up.as long as you're not in a hurry, and do it carefully you're good to go. I haven't tried it in windy conditions yet. To note, at delivery, mine already had felt pads to reduce rubbing on the inboard side of the hinges that cause the known issue.

I've seen where a few folks don't care for how the 3 rear windows come off, but I don't mind it too much. Getting the upper 3 buckles on each side put back in when reinstalling is kind of a pain with big hands. That's the one of only 2 things I find bothersome. The other is trying to install the rear window around that 33" tire, it's just in the way whether you leave the back door open or closed. But neither of those are a big enough deal to stop me from taking them out and putting them back in. I do wish there was a storage solution for the 3 windows when they are not installed @Ford Motor Company .

Road noise isn't too bad as far as I'm concerned. Without the lux, I find myself turning up the radio to less than half to hear the programming I listen to.

The only major complaint I'd have is the seam along the edge of the fabric is sewn in a way that it has a lip for water to run along. Unfortunately, this lip ends directly above the door lock switch, so that when you roll your window down at Chik-fil-A in the rain, a steady stream of water pours into the truck and all down the inside of the door. Loving the drain plugs!

All in all, I'm happy with my choice of going with the rag top. I've had 2 other convertibles, and this one met my expectations.

Edited to add pictures of the passenger side where I spoke about the fabric folding under, and after I straighten it out

20210818_130306.jpg

20210818_130317.jpg
Thanks a bunch for sharing!

De Brus

First Edition
First Name
De Brus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 HD 1200, '66 IH, '62 VW
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

sounds pretty much like what I expect, which is great. Not a fan of the rain pouring in, though that was a Wrangler only feature. But it rains like never here, and I don't stop at fast food places, hopefully I'll be good.

I'm not sure how often I'll take the rear windows out, but it seems equally cumbersome on the Wrangler and Bronco. Storage is an issue, I really have nowhere to put these nice and flat and protected unless I put them on the living room floor, and then the cat will sit on them immediately. Some bags would be nice there.

Things I expect to love the the easy open/close and the fact that I'll always have my roof with me in case the temps change. Also nice to just fold it shut to keep the inside in the shade on hot days. I'll also like the lift action in the back for loading the dog and other stuff.

Personally don't care about wavy windows or any of that. I just want a quick opening and closing roof, I'm mainly buying this as a convertible as there are no trails nearby.
You need to remove the side windows to open the top fully, were your aware of that? If you don't plan to take windows out, your stuck in the half open - garage eating position.

Sponsored

JakeC

Badlands
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
michiganbroncos.club
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have spoken with Bestop. They make the top under contract by Ford and so can only be purchased at Ford for now. There will be other tops out soon and I suggested a White one. For now the only color is black.
Not to be rude, but are you sure the factory soft tops are from Bestop? I’ve heard on forum many cite Webasto as the producer of the soft and MIC tops.

[edit: Hoping to be wrong. 😀]

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've had my badlands for about 2 weeks (950 miles) now. I had originally ordered the MIC, but changed my order back in April when I saw the Webasto iceberg on the horizon. I just thought I'd offer my opinions on the soft top.

It's nice only having to undo the 2 latches to flip it back. I love the ease of operation. The passenger side of my fabric wants to curl under whenever I flip it back to the sunrider position and I have to pull it out and make sure it folds correctly. I don't mind this too much as I always do a walk around to make sure it's good to go anyhow (thus, the purpose of the walk around).

Folding it fully back is pretty easy as well. I learned from a buddy who has already scratched his safety cage up, how to do it properly and not scratch mine up.as long as you're not in a hurry, and do it carefully you're good to go. I haven't tried it in windy conditions yet. To note, at delivery, mine already had felt pads to reduce rubbing on the inboard side of the hinges that cause the known issue.

I've seen where a few folks don't care for how the 3 rear windows come off, but I don't mind it too much. Getting the upper 3 buckles on each side put back in when reinstalling is kind of a pain with big hands. That's the one of only 2 things I find bothersome. The other is trying to install the rear window around that 33" tire, it's just in the way whether you leave the back door open or closed. But neither of those are a big enough deal to stop me from taking them out and putting them back in. I do wish there was a storage solution for the 3 windows when they are not installed @Ford Motor Company .

Road noise isn't too bad as far as I'm concerned. Without the lux, I find myself turning up the radio to less than half to hear the programming I listen to.

The only major complaint I'd have is the seam along the edge of the fabric is sewn in a way that it has a lip for water to run along. Unfortunately, this lip ends directly above the door lock switch, so that when you roll your window down at Chik-fil-A in the rain, a steady stream of water pours into the truck and all down the inside of the door. Loving the drain plugs!

All in all, I'm happy with my choice of going with the rag top. I've had 2 other convertibles, and this one met my expectations.

Edited to add pictures of the passenger side where I spoke about the fabric folding under, and after I straighten it out

20210818_130306.jpg

20210818_130317.jpg
I totally agree with your assessment. I've only had mine since Friday.

The water running into the door when you open it in the rain is a very annoying feature. I think their rain channel isn't thick enough.

Where is the scratching supposed to happen? I saw a little felt section on the arms. Does it scratch on the top rail? I want to make sure I don't have an issue there.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not to be rude, but are you sure the factory soft tops are from Bestop? I’ve heard on forum many cite Webasto as the producer of the soft and MIC tops.

[edit: Hoping to be wrong. 😀]
The factory tops are all made by Webasto.

Bestop only makes the accessory tops with the fastback that is available from dealers.

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I may have to move from the PNW to Orlando due to work. Any thought on folks in Florida if the Soft top works there with the heat? It was a no-go in Seattle with the Rain and the crime downtown.
It's totally fine. It was 91 when I left work and it was actually cooler than my truck after sitting in the sun all day.

colintrax

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado, Ford Explorer, KTM 890 ADV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As far as storing the windows with the top down, where would you put them? This is something I wanted to tackle but couldn't think of a logical place to put that large back window.

Sponsored

RubyRedGT

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco. Sold the 1968 and 2015 mustang GTs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As far as storing the windows with the top down, where would you put them? This is something I wanted to tackle but couldn't think of a logical place to put that large back window.
I just stick them in either the back seat or the far back if I have the backseats down. Plenty of room

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
One would think!
Also glad I got the 12" screen with the 360 view. Originally I huffed at the thought of cameras replacing my old school mirrors, but I've come to appreciate what it brings.
Shame you can't get that option in the lower trims. I hate when they tie safety-assisting options to luxury packages. Every buyer at every trim level should have the ability to add every safety option available.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You need to remove the side windows to open the top fully, were your aware of that? If you don't plan to take windows out, your stuck in the half open - garage eating position.
yes, side and back need to come out, I know. I'll do it sometime, but doubt I'll do it often, the "garage eating" (haha) position is fine enough for around town, just want the open sky. I can't really store the windows anywhere except maybe on the guest bed, so they'll most likely be installed most of the time. But I've never had a vehicle like this, so who knows...

I'll take everything down/off once for sure, including the doors, but I doubt I'll like that, too much heat radiating up and too much noise from trucks for my taste I'm sure. Plus I want my armrest for my left arm and personally don't care for tube doors.

colintrax

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado, Ford Explorer, KTM 890 ADV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just stick them in either the back seat or the far back if I have the backseats down. Plenty of room
I was referencing the request for Ford to give a storage option. Say grooves along the cargo area to hang the windows up in the cargo area and get them off the floor (and out of seats). Of course that idea doesn't work because the rear window is so long.