Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.snowtrek.org
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wow, beautiful country! Tell us more about your settings . . . did you use GOAT mode "Slippery" or did you engage your rear locker? Did you keep it in 4 Low most of the time?
So about that... I was in slippery mode, I did call in the video when I engaged the locker. Rear down low, and the front up high. I did keep it in 4 low most of the time. I plan to do some more in depth testing when I get a nice day and can set the camera up outside.

Now back to slippery mode... when I hit the pavement again I attempted to shift into 2wd and I was getting a mode not available error. I pulled over into some gravel and backed up, pulled forward, shifted into low, high, auto, neutral, park, etc. No matter what I tried it wouldn't go back to 2 hi. I was starting to curse the electronics, then I remembered I was in slippery mode :ROFLMAO:.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks great!

The pictures in this thread could be used to demonstrate why Rok Blokz needs to make mud flaps for the Bronco.

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Can't wait to take mine to the Sierras! I'm very curious how the Goodyears (SAS) do in snow and ice. I'm used to having a seperate set of tires and wheels mounted just for snow.

Sponsored

ab_slack

Black Diamond
First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Explorer and 87 Bronco II
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I cut my teeth wheelin my Bronco II. The 2021 feels very Bronco II.

My '84 BII 302 V8, NP435, D44, D60
1636517005887.jpeg
serious mods to that BII

My B IIs have all been standards and that is what I have on order. One thing I loved was that I could lock my hubs (manual) at the first snow and just leave them locked for the season with the only degradation was a drop from 22mpg to 20.5 mpg and some steering wheel rocking in very tight (near the locks) turns due to the axle shaft u-joints. With them locked I could shift in and out of 4 on the fly at any speed and would do so when on dry pavement on highways whenever I encountered a drift, just flip into 4wd while doing 70, stay in the gas and move over it and back to 2wd when hit dry pavement on the other side. I don't know anyone personally who did what I did with most looking at me like I had two heads when I didn't get out and lock and unlock hubs every time I went in and out of 4wd. 192k miles with no issues in the 4wd system (partly because it was well exercised) speaks for the technique I used was okay.

My drive in Off-Rodeo caused me some concern as they evidently have a differential (I assume limited slip) in the transfer case so front and rear axles could be different speeds as they had us put it in 4wd on pavement and there wasn't any sort of chatter in turns. I just don't like that as it is like relying on a limited slip differential on the rear axle compared to a locker. I suppose with locker on the axle it is okay. What I drove had the advanced transfer case and that is what I have in my order as I didn't know if the basic transfer case would be able to shift into 4wd on the fly like I wanted. I'll tolerate a differential in the transfer case if it is the only way I can get the rapid transition from 2 to 4. My 02 explorer had a live axle and can switch rapidly at a pushbutton but it is not nearly as good as the old BII in the snow.

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Woot! More two door action!

Awesome video Matt! Kinda makes me homesick for the Wet Coast. When I come down there we'll have to hit a couple of trails.

I love how much visibility the dropped centre of the hood gives.

I wonder if turning off the stability control would make it brake better?

Sponsored

BiggerHammer944

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ, 1987 Porsche 944, 2023 RZR XP 1000
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So about that... I was in slippery mode, I did call in the video when I engaged the locker. Rear down low, and the front up high. I did keep it in 4 low most of the time. I plan to do some more in depth testing when I get a nice day and can set the camera up outside.

Now back to slippery mode... when I hit the pavement again I attempted to shift into 2wd and I was getting a mode not available error. I pulled over into some gravel and backed up, pulled forward, shifted into low, high, auto, neutral, park, etc. No matter what I tried it wouldn't go back to 2 hi. I was starting to curse the electronics, then I remembered I was in slippery mode :ROFLMAO:.
Next time give it a whirl in Sand mode. My understanding is Slippery should be more for slippery road conditions, and would therefore be tuned to minimize wheelslip and any "fun" factor (though traction control might be defeated in 4LO, I'm not sure). In the F-150, it's literally called "Deep Snow/Sand" so regardless of why they dropped the snow nomenclature (heh...snowmenclature), I would bet you'd have more appropriate settings for snow wheeling. For instance you'd probably get better stopping performance, since tuning for stopping in loose sand is probably much more like what you're seeing in the snow than if you're on a slushy highway.

Neat video, thanks for sharing!

BroncoRevital

Badlands
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, past; 94 FB, 86 FB, 84 Bronco2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What a great video.

Jumps, rooster tails and rock flexing are cool to see but this video gets me more hyped then anything. This is what off-road wheeling is all about to me.

Seeing that amazing scenery makes me want to get out there. I’ve had to relinquish to playing the video game Snowrunner and this video felt just like playing the game 😂.

I love how you transitioned the music to intense music when you decided to go for it 😂. Great stuff. Glad to see the Bronco did well. Thanks for sharing.

69351windsor

Base
First Name
JW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Merc, Ranger, HD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Great vid!! Where are you getting snow now - is that Mt Baker, Christal Mtn? Born & raised in NW. Spent most recent two years in Darrington but we usually don't get snow until January.

Lxatoledo

Wildtrak
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75 EB Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Ohh I could have pushed on for sure, just wasn't worth the risk. It's what I like to do, and I know how fast things go sideways. Quite literally.
Yep, and all of the "Keyboard Warriors" filled with advice and opinion would not be there cold, and annoyed digging out of the mess.

As my buddy said in Moab when we were pushing him to do an obstacle at night, "Oh, I can do it, but if something breaks................that is when the "suck" begins."
Sponsored