Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We finally got a little bit of the white stuff up above 4,000ft so we took a quick scouting trip to see what's what. The summit of Darland Mountain is about 6,900ft and the drifts were anywhere from 3-4' deep, but it was nominally only about 12-24" deep along the majority of the route.

My buddy and I are both running 37" KO2's and we traded off breaking trail all day long. Didn't run into anyone else until we were headed down the other side toward Blue Lake, which is where we stopped for a late lunch before heading back down and home.

IMG_0620.JPG
IMG_0622.JPG
IMG_0628.JPG
IMG_0636.JPG
IMG_0644.JPG
IMG_0647.JPG
IMG_0682.JPG
IMG_0685.JPG
IMG_0686.JPG
IMG_0704.JPG
IMG_0718.JPG
Curious if the headlights get coated with snow and ice easily as they probably don’t have much heat like a halogen would?

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Oo! There's something I never thought of; I assume (I've never had LED headlights) LEDs don't create heat like halogens?
So frozen precip cakes up on the lenses?

We actually had a long thread on this a year or two ago, but don't worry. A few folks from the South assured us it was not a problem.

22Badskwatch

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great pics and thanks for sharing. We are starting to get some significant snow fall in the CA Sierras so looking forward to getting my Bronco in the snow.
Where are you located? I'm in Sacramento. Just went up to Mormon Emigrant Trail this past weekend. If you're on Facebook, check out the Gold Country Broncos group for events!

MJB06312.jpg

Sparkherd

Badlands
First Name
Sparky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We actually had a long thread on this a year or two ago, but don't worry. A few folks from the South assured us it was not a problem.
Well I are from the south, but I was stationed out west for a long time.
I've used ye olde windshield ice scraper to get frozen stuff off the (non-LED) headlights on my 85 F-250. I bet that woulda been waaaaayyyyyy tougher with LEDs...

Sponsored

BoatMan

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Oo! There's something I never thought of; I assume (I've never had LED headlights) LEDs don't create heat like halogens?
So frozen precip cakes up on the lenses?
I wonder if there is a coating/wax/spray that can be put on both the fenders and headlights to at least partially resolve this problem. I did some quick research and I saw a range of solutions including WD40, rain-x, de icer, and other products, but no real consensus. I would be very interested to hear if anyone has a solution for it.

Sparkherd

Badlands
First Name
Sparky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wonder if there is a coating/wax/spray that can be put on both the fenders and headlights to at least partially resolve this problem. I did some quick research and I saw a range of solutions including WD40, rain-x, de icer, and other products, but no real consensus. I would be very interested to hear if anyone has a solution for it.
90 weight?

Tswag

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Curious if the headlights get coated with snow and ice easily as they probably don’t have much heat like a halogen would?
Just had the first snow here in NY. Heavy wet snow and upper 30's out and they iced up twice within 10 minutes of driving at 30 to 50 mph. Had to stop and wipe them off both times. I wish they threw more heat or had a defroster. I'll give rain-x a shot and see if that helps.

CT203

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just had the first snow here in NY. Heavy wet snow and upper 30's out and they iced up twice within 10 minutes of driving at 30 to 50 mph. Had to stop and wipe them off both times. I wish they threw more heat or had a defroster. I'll give rain-x a shot and see if that helps.
Thanks for the report. That’s not good though- worst conditions to need to stop in. I know some aftermarket Jeep LEDs have heating elements. Maybe there will be something similar for us.
Sponsored