dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 f250
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

this looks like fun! but I hate snow and cold its only a matter of time before its here in mass
Sponsored

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I live in Houston, so I'm super jealous of any wheeling, but those pics make it look like so much fun. Wish I could make a trip somewhere to do that type of stuff.

OP
OP
tobyw

tobyw

Wildtrak
First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4-Door
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
looks like a blast!! And, it's good to see someone using the K02's in snow.. I've been considering them to replace the stock sasquatch tires, but I keep getting people saying they are terrible in snow - you sure didn't look like you had a problem!
Opinions on tires are like belly buttons, everyone has one. Similar to my take on the vehicles themselves, Iā€™m not out to try and tell anyone what is the best or what they should run. With all of that said, Iā€™m a huge fan of the BFG All-Terrain and have run every single generation of them over the decades, and will continue to do so. For my use and driving style, they simply work, and Iā€™ve wheeled them in nearly every state West of the Mississippi and in every weather and trail condition that chunk of real estate has to offer. Like all things, there are compromises under certain circumstances, but for the vast majority of my use case they continue to be the right answer.

What were you running for tire pressures? Any negatives for snow wheeling?
As for tire pressure, I started at 9psi but ended up dropping down to 6 once we got up to about 5,800ft. The consistency of the snow changed enough that we needed a tad more flotation.

Ford Bronco Snow Wheeling With Bronco & Jeep 06 Nov 2022 IMG_0692.JPG

How did they compare?
Regarding the performance of the Jeep vs. the Bronco, Iā€™m going to refrain from directly answering that questionā€¦ Iā€™m a longtime owner and operator of both brands (everything from my ā€™47 CJ-2A and ā€™77 Bronco up to our 2018 JLU-R and the 2022 Bronco) and have enough direct experience with all of them to formulate my own opinions which are guaranteed to ruffle someoneā€™s feathers, and I just donā€™t care enough to do that. I enjoy what I enjoy for my own reasons, and I hope others do the same. (y)

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As for tire pressure, I started at 9psi but ended up dropping down to 6 once we got up to about 5,800ft. The consistency of the snow changed enough that we needed a tad more flotation.

Ford Bronco Snow Wheeling With Bronco & Jeep 06 Nov 2022 IMG_0692.JPG
Are you using the bead lockers at that pressure?

SwampCactus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 Door Cactus Grey Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Regarding the performance of the Jeep vs. the Bronco, Iā€™m going to refrain from directly answering that questionā€¦ Iā€™m a longtime owner and operator of both brands (everything from my ā€™47 CJ-2A and ā€™77 Bronco up to our 2018 JLU-R and the 2022 Bronco) and have enough direct experience with all of them to formulate my own opinions which are guaranteed to ruffle someoneā€™s feathers, and I just donā€™t care enough to do that. I enjoy what I enjoy for my own reasons, and I hope others do the same. (y)
[/QUOTE]

Just curious how it performed. Won't ruffle any feathers. We all know the Jeep is better at rock crawling and hardcore off-roading. While the Bronco is better at Baja stuff, and better on the road / more comfortable to drive.

I haven't heard much about how it does in the snow.

Sponsored
OP
OP
tobyw

tobyw

Wildtrak
First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4-Door
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Are you using the bead lockers at that pressure?
Negative, these wheels are not beadlocks.

Just curious how it performed. Won't ruffle any feathers. We all know the Jeep is better at rock crawling and hardcore off-roading. While the Bronco is better at Baja stuff, and better on the road / more comfortable to drive.

I haven't heard much about how it does in the snow.
Fair enough... Overall it met and/or exceeded my expectations in the deep snow. The ability to lock only the front axle was fantastic in a couple of situations, particularly side hills. Similarly the instant lock/unlock of the diffs was much appreciated; my JLU-R suffers from laggy locker operation that always seems exacerbated by cold weather. I was less impressed with the manual shifting situation as directly compared to the JL, but that will probably come around with more seat time. The lack of a rear seat heater outlet was definitely noted once the colder weather really kicked in, the minions always enjoy the center console vents in the JL. The rear doors freezing shut against the flares with ice/slush was another glaring negative of the day.

But in terms of raw performance, again, it worked very well for a 5,000lb rig on 37" tires trying to navigate relatively significant early season snow. We'll see what happens when it gets really deep and as the snow gets rotten in the spring...

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The rear doors freezing shut against the flares with ice/slush was another glaring negative of the day.
Do you think mudflaps would have changed the amount of ice/slush deposited on the flares?

OP
OP
tobyw

tobyw

Wildtrak
First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4-Door
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Do you think mudflaps would have changed the amount of ice/slush deposited on the flares?
I installed mud flaps about a week after taking delivery back in June:

Ford Bronco Snow Wheeling With Bronco & Jeep 06 Nov 2022 IMG_6485.JPG

As such I can't really provide a direct comparison before/after, but I'd like to think they at least knocked it down some, as you can definitely see where it collected on/around them throughout the day:

Ford Bronco Snow Wheeling With Bronco & Jeep 06 Nov 2022 IMG_0621.JPG

Ford Bronco Snow Wheeling With Bronco & Jeep 06 Nov 2022 IMG_0651.JPG

Ford Bronco Snow Wheeling With Bronco & Jeep 06 Nov 2022 IMG_0684.JPG

Ford Bronco Snow Wheeling With Bronco & Jeep 06 Nov 2022 IMG_0697.JPG

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I installed mud flaps about a week after taking delivery back in June:

As such I can't really provide a direct comparison before/after, but I'd like to think they at least knocked it down some, as you can definitely see where it collected on/around them throughout the day:

I'm almost wondering if a small flap in front of the rear wheel would help. It looks to be spraying up between the flare and the rock slider/side step.

FilmcoBronci

Black Diamond
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 6G
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Most excellent!

Sponsored

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
re: mud flaps - there is no comparison. I took delivery of my Bronco last November and after one trip in the snow I installed flaps. People in mud have experienced the same thing - HUGE pile up of debris on the rear fender/rear door seam. My doors were inoperable with about 8ā€ of frozen, salted snow slush fusing the door to the rear quarter and fender. Had to melt it away before the doors could be opened.

The problem is insignificant with good flaps installed.

SwampCactus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 Door Cactus Grey Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Negative, these wheels are not beadlocks.

Fair enough... Overall it met and/or exceeded my expectations in the deep snow. The ability to lock only the front axle was fantastic in a couple of situations, particularly side hills. Similarly the instant lock/unlock of the diffs was much appreciated; my JLU-R suffers from laggy locker operation that always seems exacerbated by cold weather. I was less impressed with the manual shifting situation as directly compared to the JL, but that will probably come around with more seat time. The lack of a rear seat heater outlet was definitely noted once the colder weather really kicked in, the minions always enjoy the center console vents in the JL. The rear doors freezing shut against the flares with ice/slush was another glaring negative of the day.

But in terms of raw performance, again, it worked very well for a 5,000lb rig on 37" tires trying to navigate relatively significant early season snow. We'll see what happens when it gets really deep and as the snow gets rotten in the spring...

Awesome thank you. I live in Florida so snow driving is not a thing haha. But that's interesting abut the back getting colder. That is one drawback to the Bronco is those crappy vents under the seats. But looks like you had a good adventure.

Sparkherd

Badlands
First Name
Sparky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I live in Houston, so I'm super jealous of any wheeling, but those pics make it look like so much fun. Wish I could make a trip somewhere to do that type of stuff.
Shoulda been up here in Canyon Lake a coupla years ago!!!
Ford Bronco Snow Wheeling With Bronco & Jeep 06 Nov 2022 20210218_104041

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model