Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

You were the one defending the Rivian as an off road vehicle.
It's not a hardcore offroader but I've seen first hand it handle Florida mud/trails/obstacles that would be questionable for a Defender/4Runner/Sequoia. It's not a Wrangler or Bronco capable because the lack of mechanical lockers, strong underbody shield, and sheer size.

Speaking of a Sequoia... I briefly owned a 23 TRD Pro before the Rivian. That's not an offroader to me. Low ground clearance, stupid front air dam/bafflethat would get destroyed instantly on the first trail, wide girth, heavy.

Ford Bronco Video: Broncos recover a Rivian & other vehicles stuck in snow Sequoia stuck.PNG
Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks like a nice adventure. Yep, with a storm coming you gotta tell those people we'll catch you on the way out as you're on a mission vice tooling round in the snow. Furthest point out & work your way back 🤠

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
While I just sold my R1S, I've seen Rivians in Florida basically go through the same muddy 3-4 feet trails and man-made obstacles. The R1Ses have completed the Rubicon trail too. The 14-15" of ground clearance truly helps. The problem is the stock 20" tires are not great for snow and the Rivians use quad motors and software to detect traction loss - rather than utilize front/rear lockers (a big flaw).
Doesn't the R1T and CT basically ship with Pirelli street rubber? Great for range estimates but terrible for anything else I guess.

Dantastic

Outer Banks
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
OBX Sas Bronco, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Man I live in the wrong state. Y’all get to wheel in any terrain you want in CA.

Sponsored
OP
OP
popo_patty

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Let me guess…the 4Runner owner kept talking about legendary Toyota reliability while he was being pulled out 🤣
Haha, naw he was chill. A little nervous about being pulled on but still cool

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Separately, an underrated off road beast is the Hummer EV. My friend is actively trying to destroy his (his reasoning is it is under warranty) and it basically destroys terrain and wades through water instead of driving over it.
It weights so much (about twice the weight of a Bronco that in my opinion is way on the heavy side) that It basically throws out the whole Idea of treading lightly????

Like you said it Basically destroys terrain..... Not my idea of someone I want to go wheeling with.

Surfnbike

First Name
Mahtayo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
While I just sold my R1S, I've seen Rivians in Florida basically go through the same muddy 3-4 feet trails and man-made obstacles. The R1Ses have completed the Rubicon trail too. The 14-15" of ground clearance truly helps. The problem is the stock 20" tires are not great for snow and the Rivians use quad motors and software to detect traction loss - rather than utilize front/rear lockers (a big flaw).
I have an R1T and agree with your statements. I just got back from wheeling in mud/snow and I was impressed with what the truck could do for a full independent suspension vehicle. I also wish that it had mechanical lockers as the power delivery via 4 motors is inferior at this point in time when rock crawling. It is important to point out of course that the vehicle wasn't made for hard core offroading as it can also do 0-60 in 3.0 seconds.

Owning an R1T I don't see how a Rivian could do the rubicon. Also that graphic can't be right. I had an F150 and the Rivian has a way better departure angle than my lifted F150 on 35s did.

On a side note, why did you sell the R1S? I am looking at trading my R1T for R1S because our family is growing this year.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Surfnbike

First Name
Mahtayo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My raptor friend made a video too!

Looks like a blast. How did the raptor perform compared to the regular track width broncos? Looks like your roads are really wide.

voxel

Heritage
First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I have an R1T and agree with your statements. I just got back from wheeling in mud/snow and I was impressed with what the truck could do for a full independent suspension vehicle. I also wish that it had mechanical lockers as the power delivery via 4 motors is inferior at this point in time when rock crawling. It is important to point out of course that the vehicle wasn't made for hard core offroading as it can also do 0-60 in 3.0 seconds.

On a side note, why did you sell the R1S? I am looking at trading my R1T for R1S because our family is growing this year.
I bought a Bronco :)

For me, it was my "third" car that barely was driven. I commute with my Mach-E to a tiny downtown office garage and my Grand Cherokee is the backup gas car for hurricane season and visiting family have borrowed it a few times already. I decided against trading in the gas GC for the Rivian because I need energy diversity for the hurricanes (some years I lose power for days, some years gas stations around me don't have gas for 3-5 days but I still have power). Now that I have the Bronco, the GC can go :)

For a family, the R1S is great. I sold it to a women with 3 kids.

Camp Hell Yeah.

Everglades
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Tover
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Question about pulling someone out snow, mud etc. When watching videos why does the person pulling the stuck vehicle out “yank” the vehicle instead of just very slowly Inching forward until the strap or rope gets tight and then add more power? The yanking seems unsafe and could potentially snap the rope/strap? Just a question from a rookie observer.

OP
OP
popo_patty

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Question about pulling someone out snow, mud etc. When watching videos why does the person pulling the stuck vehicle out “yank” the vehicle instead of just very slowly Inching forward until the strap or rope gets tight and then add more power? The yanking seems unsafe and could potentially snap the rope/strap? Just a question from a rookie observer.
So in the video it’s kinetic ropes being used that stretch. It’s very safe when used with soft shackles and is very strong (when used appropriately). A slow pull won’t always pull someone out that’s stuck.
This is the appropriate method vs using a strap to pull.

Camp Hell Yeah.

Everglades
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Tover
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Thanks for the response.
So in the video it’s kinetic ropes being used that stretch. It’s very safe when used with soft shackles and is very strong (when used appropriately). A slow pull won’t always pull someone out that’s stuck.
This is the appropriate method vs using a strap to pull.
Sponsored