First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
I hope you have just a blast. I assume you meant a sabbatical after five years, not a five-year one.
Sponsored

TheShark

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4DR Wildtrak, 2023 Maverick XLT FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Hopefully you don't run across any German U-Boats. šŸ˜„

dahoneybadga

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 4dr Badlands, 22 R1T
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I live in SLC and there isn't much to do in the city right now besides some restaurants and the offroading is underwhelming all around. Central Utah and the San Rafael Swell/La Sal Mountain area has some really cool places that are worth hitting if you have the time. We are doing CO at the end of the month but would definitely recommend spending more time there than anywhere else.

If you haven't hit Moab yet, there are a ton of incredible trails, even for a new driver. Chicken Corners will give you some incredible views. Eye of the Whale was a new one I did this year - the trail had a few fun sandy parts where you can really gun it around some corners. The last easy one I'd recommend is Potash Road. Also very scenic and really won't run into any issues on any of those. If you only have a day, I feel like you need to do the obligatory runs on Fins and Things as well as Hells Revenge. Hells Revenge is a little harder but not terribly difficult - and it's usually busy so you'll have lots of help from those around if you get stuck or unsure what line to take.

Red Squatch

Heritage
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Cobra convertible
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
So I'm fortunate enough that my work offers me a 5 year sabbatical, so what else to do but head west and see what my Bronco can do. I thought I'd keep a travel log so that some folks back home can follow along. So this is my ride, the Lusitania, or Lucy for short:

20230902_101242[1].jpg

She's a 2021 Badlands, mostly stock with a few upgrades for protection, LOD Destroyer Rock Rails, an LOD Transmission bash plate and DV8 Shock Bash Plates. I've got a Rough Country high winch mount with a Warn EVO 10K Winch.

Why do I call her Lusitania? Cause I've been known to sink her.

IMG_4717[1].JPG

20220403_154332[1].jpg

Anyway I'm relatively new to off roading, So I'm going to be doing the Bronco Off Rodeo to start and then exploring Moab and other points in Utah and Colorado. I need to be back in Pittsburgh the 21st, so feel free to follow along, and I'm open to suggestions on stuff to check out. I made it to Denver and the Front range today, so tomorrow we hit the mountains. In the mean time here's a few road trip attractions I hit on the way!

20230903_101953[1].jpg
20230904_100012[1].jpg

20230904_155813[1].jpg

20230902_101242[1].jpg

IMG_4717[1].JPG

20220403_154332[1].jpg

20230903_101953[1].jpg

20230904_100012[1].jpg

20230904_155813[1].jpg

20230902_101242[1].jpg

20220403_154332[1].jpg

20230903_101953[1].jpg

20230904_100012[1].jpg

20230904_155813[1].jpg
Nice, it will be fun following a Yinzer on his journey. Sounds like you're living out your dream, good for you.

JimL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2020 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Fellow Yinzer here. I love the picture of Lucy taken with the Burgh in the background. . I'll look for you -- I'll be in the 2019 Bullitt.

Sponsored

drmdwebb

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4-door Wildtrak in Hot Pepper Red
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I live in SLC and there isn't much to do in the city right now besides some restaurants and the offroading is underwhelming all around. Central Utah and the San Rafael Swell/La Sal Mountain area has some really cool places that are worth hitting if you have the time. We are doing CO at the end of the month but would definitely recommend spending more time there than anywhere else.

If you haven't hit Moab yet, there are a ton of incredible trails, even for a new driver. Chicken Corners will give you some incredible views. Eye of the Whale was a new one I did this year - the trail had a few fun sandy parts where you can really gun it around some corners. The last easy one I'd recommend is Potash Road. Also very scenic and really won't run into any issues on any of those. If you only have a day, I feel like you need to do the obligatory runs on Fins and Things as well as Hells Revenge. Hells Revenge is a little harder but not terribly difficult - and it's usually busy so you'll have lots of help from those around if you get stuck or unsure what line to take.
I will second Central Utah, especially in the fall absolutely gorgeous. There are some gnarly side-by-side trails, but the main roads are easily passable with a Bronco (I've seen normal passenger cars up there). Lots to do over a few days if you want.

Also, Hells Revenge and Fins and Things are must-dos in my opinion. You can bypass the serious stuff like Hell's Gate. I've seen normal stock 4x4 trucks up there do fine; you'll have no issue with the Bronoco.

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I work for a Tech company that's a wholly owned subsidiary of Ford. That's actually how I got my Bronco. It's a pretty awesome perk!
At Webasto a couple weeks ago: "Why don't you take like....five years off"

OP
OP
Mishra42

Mishra42

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well We got to Moab Late Tuesday for those coming in from the east the 128 Bypass is definitely worth it.
Ford Bronco Pittsburgh to Utah in my Bronco "Lusitania" DSCF8138-SHrunk

The next Day The Adventure Began with a quick stop at the entrance to town.
Ford Bronco Pittsburgh to Utah in my Bronco "Lusitania" DSCF8155-Shrunk

We started off by heading to Dead Horse Point State Park. The story about the name is kind of horrible, but the views are Spectacular.
Ford Bronco Pittsburgh to Utah in my Bronco "Lusitania" 20230906_113656
Ford Bronco Pittsburgh to Utah in my Bronco "Lusitania" 20230906_113720

There's some nice picnic tables with shade for lunch if the timing works out. It's a little pricey to get into the park, but All in all worth it in my opinion. After that we headed into Canyonlands.
Ford Bronco Pittsburgh to Utah in my Bronco "Lusitania" 20230906_124431

Our Route was the Schafer Pass and Potash Rd with a detour along the White Rim Rd to Muscleman Arch. White Rim Road requires a special day Pass, only 50 a day are given out. It runs a full 100 miles but we only did the nice easy portion made up of the first 10 miles or so. Schafer pass has the infamous switchbacks that drop 1400 ft.
Ford Bronco Pittsburgh to Utah in my Bronco "Lusitania" DSCF8160-shrunk

I'm not going to lie pucker factor was high here. I'm still pretty new to this sort of driving. The road is well maintained and pretty wide, but there's a few spots that are pretty tight. there's plenty of sections to pull off and let the uphill folks pass. I was glad for a copilot who was looking ahead and would warn me of oncoming traffic. Here's the view from the bottom.
Ford Bronco Pittsburgh to Utah in my Bronco "Lusitania" DSCF8168-Shrunk

After that we hit Muscleman Arch. Not really challenging, but again narrow and a bit nerve wracking with the large drop off.
Ford Bronco Pittsburgh to Utah in my Bronco "Lusitania" DSCF8175-shrunk

Ford Bronco Pittsburgh to Utah in my Bronco "Lusitania" DSCF8185-Shrunk

Once we got on the Potash rd it was pretty uneventful, though the number of Nissans and Buick's we saw that had no business on that trail was surprising. I guess that's how guys like Matt's Off-Road recovery stay in business. There's plenty of scenic vistas including Thelma and Louise point and a Balanced rock right near the end of the trail. All in all a great way to ease into the adventure.
Ford Bronco Pittsburgh to Utah in my Bronco "Lusitania" 20230906_153327

Ford Bronco Pittsburgh to Utah in my Bronco "Lusitania" 20230906_160521

Ford Bronco Pittsburgh to Utah in my Bronco "Lusitania" 20230906_162016-Cro

Today we're waiting on my Third friend to show up so no trails as we need to go pick him up. Tomorrow is the Off-Rodeo. In the meantime, see if you can figure out what time we dropped into the Schafer Pass!
Ford Bronco Pittsburgh to Utah in my Bronco "Lusitania" Screenshot_20230906_191127

BadBronc

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just did the same trip, maybe with some different detours, in early August to attend the Moab Off-Rodeo. 4000 miles in total by the time we got back to home by way of Rocky Mountain National Park and the Badlands.
Such an amazing journey, and like you mentioned completely different than what we're used to.
Check out Salt Flat Road and Willow Flats Road in Arches as a nice break from the tourists on the blacktop. I wasn't going to do Willow Flats solo, but was fortunate enough to have another Bronco show up as we were about to turn around.

If you're offered a twilight run up Onion Creek after the Rodeo, don't hesitate!

Enjoy some prairie jewels at the Red Rock Resort šŸ‚

Sponsored

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sorry I didn't see this until now, as I could have recommended some fun trails not far from SLC. My son and I have been doing a lot of trails at the south end of the Oquirrh mountains in Cedar Valley not far from the Pony Express Staging Area. Also, the Tintics west of Utah lake have some fun Baja trails as well as trails that take you to ridge peaks with nice views. Little Moab is out there, but it should be called Tiny Moab, LOL. There's plenty to do and lot's of fun to be had. It's not Moab, but it gives us an excuse to spend a couple of weekends a month checking out new areas.
Ford Bronco Pittsburgh to Utah in my Bronco "Lusitania" IMG_0813

Ford Bronco Pittsburgh to Utah in my Bronco "Lusitania" IMG_0829

Ford Bronco Pittsburgh to Utah in my Bronco "Lusitania" IMG_1176

Ford Bronco Pittsburgh to Utah in my Bronco "Lusitania" IMG_1195

Ford Bronco Pittsburgh to Utah in my Bronco "Lusitania" IMG_1793

Ford Bronco Pittsburgh to Utah in my Bronco "Lusitania" IMG_1797

Ford Bronco Pittsburgh to Utah in my Bronco "Lusitania" IMG_1830

Ford Bronco Pittsburgh to Utah in my Bronco "Lusitania" image000000

Ford Bronco Pittsburgh to Utah in my Bronco "Lusitania" IMG_1947

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Today we're waiting on my Third friend to show up so no trails as we need to go pick him up. Tomorrow is the Off-Rodeo. In the meantime, see if you can figure out what time we dropped into the Schafer Pass!
Ford Bronco Pittsburgh to Utah in my Bronco "Lusitania" IMG_1947
Once you do the Off Roadeo you'll get a better idea of what the Bronco can do and it will lower your stress.

OP
OP
Mishra42

Mishra42

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Once you do the Off Roadeo you'll get a better idea of what the Bronco can do and it will lower your stress.
Yeah, part of it was the sheer scale of the landscape. The worst for me is driver side camber. When I sank the car it was at a 19 degree angle and sitting there watch water leak into the car while my friends pulled me out was pretty scary. But I'm sure I'll get used to it.

MtnRanger

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I will second Central Utah, especially in the fall absolutely gorgeous. There are some gnarly side-by-side trails, but the main roads are easily passable with a Bronco (I've seen normal passenger cars up there). Lots to do over a few days if you want.

Also, Hells Revenge and Fins and Things are must-dos in my opinion. You can bypass the serious stuff like Hell's Gate. I've seen normal stock 4x4 trucks up there do fine; you'll have no issue with the Bronoco.
If you were to pick one, hells revenge without hells gate or fins and things, which is more scenic and easier and less risky of breaking something. Iā€™m planning to do one of them or a similar one day after off rodeo before heading back home

drmdwebb

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4-door Wildtrak in Hot Pepper Red
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If you were to pick one, hells revenge without hells gate or fins and things, which is more scenic and easier and less risky of breaking something. Iā€™m planning to do one of them or a similar one day after off rodeo before heading back home
Iā€™m not sure Fins and Things is much easier. There are some cool obstacles on it as well. If I had to do just one I would pick Hellā€™s Revenge because you have great views of the Colorado River and you can potentially see carnage at Hellā€™s Gate. Itā€™s pretty fun to sit a while and watch on a busy day. I always do both.
Sponsored