Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban, Tacoma, Patriot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Made it to the top of Bronco Knoll this past Satuday!

IMG_0831.JPG

IMG_0838.JPG

IMG_0816.JPG

This was actually our second attempt at the Knoll. Our first time was a few weeks ago right after we got the Bronco (white 2-door in the pics, 2-door Base, non-Sasquatch, 2.3L/7-speed). We wanted Bronco Knoll to be our first trip off the pavement in it. But we were thwarted by the tiny stock tires on the stripper model, as we were trying the steeper, deeply rutted southern approach mentioned in the original post in this thread. The tiny tires didn't provide enough ground clearance and we were denied just from hanging up and dragging. But we vowed to return when we had some bigger tires, which we do now, 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers along with a small spacer lift from ICON. With the extra ground clearance the Base Bronco motored right up it, without lockers of course!

The red 4-door is our buddy Oscar. It's also a Base but with the Sasquatch package so he was already well-equipped with gears and lockers, but he had also recently put 37's on his so he had no troubles at all.

Upon leaving the top, we continued on in a westerly direction that isn't listed in the original post. It's gnarlier than any of the other approaches and we probably would not have made it up in that direction. It was pretty hairy even coming down. But that Crawler gear is badass, holding the Bronco back for a controlled descent even without any of the fancy Goat Modes or cheat codes that come in the Broncos that cost twice as much :)

There are tons of cool things to see in the area so we made a day of it, visiting several interesting spots pertaining to natural, geologic and human history. If anyone is headed out there DM me and I'll get you a few waypoints for interesting things to check out while you're in the area.

Panoramic view from the top:

IMG_0825-4000w.jpg

The benchmark placed by Bronco Nation:

IMG_0821.JPG

We took a bunch of video and we'll be posting it up on our YouTube channel at some point. I'll add a link to it here when we do :)
Made it up to Bronco Knoll this past Saturday. Nice short trail and great views. Fun coming up from the east side and definitely tougher going down the west side. Got a few scratches on the way down, but that's what the armor is for. Good times.

BroncoKnoll.jpg
Sponsored

Chipt7

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr Badlands Squatch, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
not to be debbie downer here... but I thought most of the people on this forum would be the outdoorsy types... What happened to the 'leave no trace' motto?

Why did you need to mark your territory? Why not leave it the way it was, as it was, for other people to enjoy? Cairns are considered vandalism & graffiti in a lot of places.

While I think what you did was an awesome experience. Don't leave your mark behind. Let others enjoy it the way you got to enjoy it. No need to let everyone know you were first by making a rock pile.

I may catch a lot of flak for this post, but TBH, I find it disrespectful.
Yikes...not leaving your mark means, NO tire tracks, no foot steps, etc...might as well NOT enjoy the outdoors in this case. I guess you should also dust off your vehicles and your shoes while your outdoors as to not show a mark/trace. What has this world come to?

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yikes...not leaving your mark means, NO tire tracks, no foot steps, etc...might as well NOT enjoy the outdoors in this case. I guess you should also dust off your vehicles and your shoes while your outdoors as to not show a mark/trace. What has this world come to?
I mean that's a little bit of an extreme take.

Let me guess. You want to go back to when America was great, right? 🤦‍♂️

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leave_No_Trace

Plus, this thread is pretty old. We already establish this area isn't exactly a national park or anything.

Br0k3N_AxL3

Badlands
First Name
Hans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'69 Bronco, '11 F150, '88 Bronco, '22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is a featured trail write-up that I hope will be of interest to all Bronco enthusiasts, especially those who own/will own a 6G.

I recently saw a photo taken by a fellow Bronco enthusiast who goes by Utah.Bronco on Instagram, which showed latitude and longitude coordinates (easter egg) hidden on the new 2021 Ford Bronco.

Ford Bronco Bronco Knoll Named and Marked From Easter Egg Coordinates BroncoKnoll

I was extremely curious about where the coordinates were pointing, and was delighted to discover that the secret location was in Johnson Valley OHV Area, just a few hours from where I live. I had never been to JV before, but always wanted to go, so I began researching the area and planning a trip. I couldn't think of a more fitting day to visit the spot than New Years Day 2021, to celebrate the first day of the year of the new Bronco!

The coordinates are on the top of a small hill in the Northwestern part of the OHV area, about 5 miles East by Northeast of Cougar Buttes, just West of Anderson Dry Lake, and about 500 feet above the surrounding valley. I used Google Earth to scout out the three routes that I considered to be the most likely to allow me to get up the hill in my completely stock 1991 Bronco XLT.

Ford Bronco Bronco Knoll Named and Marked From Easter Egg Coordinates BroncoKnoll

I first attempted the Southern route, but the steep 35%+ hill climb with loose rocks and gravel proved to be too steep. (I may try it again next time with lower pressure in the tires.) Since I couldn't make it that way, I drove to around to the South end of Anderson Dry Lake and ascended the hill on the slightly less steep route up the East side of the hill. Here I encountered a couple of rocky ledges and took a little minor damage to a tube step, but was able to make it.

At the top, the trail turns to the West and follows the ridge to a somewhat prominent peak, with a relatively wide flat spot. At this point, I turned on the GPS (Locus app on my phone) and walked the last few feet to the precise location.

I half expected to find a plaque or memorial left there by the Ford Bronco testing team (T-shirts on the Ford Bronco amazon store tout Johnson Valley as "The Original Proving Ground", and many of the reveal photos and videos were shot there). Instead, I found nothing but rocks and great views. Being a land surveyor by profession, and having a penchant for monuments marking unique and special locations, I naturally raised a small cairn to mark the spot and named it Bronco Knoll.

On the descent, I attempted the third route, but was soon blocked by a very narrow rocky pass on a sidehill trail that I didn't dare attempt without supporting vehicles, and was forced to go back the way I had come. Maybe another day.

I'll be back in Johnson Valley again later this month and/or early next month for King of the Hammers, and will gladly lead a group of other adventurous souls to the site. I hope many Bronco owners will visit Bronco Knoll in the future and add a stone to the pile!

(Send me a PM if you'd like to have a kml file of the routes.)
[Edited for typos]
Stoked to see the old Full Size Broncos still bashing through the trails! We need more of this around here.

bdezmo

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Chevy Dually
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is a featured trail write-up that I hope will be of interest to all Bronco enthusiasts, especially those who own/will own a 6G.

I recently saw a photo taken by a fellow Bronco enthusiast who goes by Utah.Bronco on Instagram, which showed latitude and longitude coordinates (easter egg) hidden on the new 2021 Ford Bronco.

I was extremely curious about where the coordinates were pointing, and was delighted to discover that the secret location was in Johnson Valley OHV Area, just a few hours from where I live. I had never been to JV before, but always wanted to go, so I began researching the area and planning a trip. I couldn't think of a more fitting day to visit the spot than New Years Day 2021, to celebrate the first day of the year of the new Bronco!

The coordinates are on the top of a small hill in the Northwestern part of the OHV area, about 5 miles East by Northeast of Cougar Buttes, just West of Anderson Dry Lake, and about 500 feet above the surrounding valley. I used Google Earth to scout out the three routes that I considered to be the most likely to allow me to get up the hill in my completely stock 1991 Bronco XLT.

I first attempted the Southern route, but the steep 35%+ hill climb with loose rocks and gravel proved to be too steep. (I may try it again next time with lower pressure in the tires.) Since I couldn't make it that way, I drove to around to the South end of Anderson Dry Lake and ascended the hill on the slightly less steep route up the East side of the hill. Here I encountered a couple of rocky ledges and took a little minor damage to a tube step, but was able to make it.

At the top, the trail turns to the West and follows the ridge to a somewhat prominent peak, with a relatively wide flat spot. At this point, I turned on the GPS (Locus app on my phone) and walked the last few feet to the precise location.

I half expected to find a plaque or memorial left there by the Ford Bronco testing team (T-shirts on the Ford Bronco amazon store tout Johnson Valley as "The Original Proving Ground", and many of the reveal photos and videos were shot there). Instead, I found nothing but rocks and great views. Being a land surveyor by profession, and having a penchant for monuments marking unique and special locations, I naturally raised a small cairn to mark the spot and named it Bronco Knoll.

On the descent, I attempted the third route, but was soon blocked by a very narrow rocky pass on a sidehill trail that I didn't dare attempt without supporting vehicles, and was forced to go back the way I had come. Maybe another day.

I'll be back in Johnson Valley again later this month and/or early next month for King of the Hammers, and will gladly lead a group of other adventurous souls to the site. I hope many Bronco owners will visit Bronco Knoll in the future and add a stone to the pile!

[Edited for typos]
We took delivery of our 22 BL 2Dr July 14th. I saw the coordinates the next day and let it slip my mind until yesterday when my son saw them and asked what they were. I plotted them on a map first, then hit the ol' google...your right up is the only hit. Good stuff guy!

Sponsored

Mvruggink41

Wildtrak
First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting on Wildtrak Bronco Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

[Edited for typos]
Great story I really enjoyed reading it! Thanks for sharing!!

Tcbbronco

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Im late to the party but what did you use to show the coordinates, compass, and altitude early in the post? Is that an app? Couldnt find it in Ford Pass

Thurmy7

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Im late to the party but what did you use to show the coordinates, compass, and altitude early in the post? Is that an app? Couldnt find it in Ford Pass
The GPS coordinates are in the picture in the original post... showing them inside an actual Bronco. 34.52621 N. 116.75685 W.

Tcbbronco

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The GPS coordinates are in the picture in the original post... showing them inside an actual Bronco. 34.52621 N. 116.75685 W.
I saw the coordinates in the vehicle. Id like to know where to find the altitude and such. It looked like the OP used their phone.

Thurmy7

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I saw the coordinates in the vehicle. Id like to know where to find the altitude and such. It looked like the OP used their phone.
The marker itself doesn't list an elevation, but Google Earth shows it as 3,823 feet.

20211009_094233.jpg

Sponsored

cyberfalco

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JK, 2000 Ram 2500, 1993 FZJ80, 1994 FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I can't wait to knock that pile of rocks over. :D

All those other tracks are past KoH course.
Ford Bronco Bronco Knoll Named and Marked From Easter Egg Coordinates Bronco Knoll

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bronco Easter Egg Coordinates Bronco Knoll.jpg

Bronco Knoll 001.jpg

20210105_165728.jpg

Screenshot_20210101-104100_Locus Map.jpg

20210101_104938.jpg

20210101_105604.jpg

[Edited for typos]
I’m at the top right now. Came up your route A. Highly don’t recommend it. I ain’t going back down it.

Ford Bronco Bronco Knoll Named and Marked From Easter Egg Coordinates IMG_0655

OffRoadeoRanger

Heritage
First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'91 Bronco | '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
I’m at the top right now. Came up your route A. Highly don’t recommend it. I ain’t going back down it.
I'm glad you made it up, and hopefully you made it safely back down! I definitely recommend the green route, approaching from the East side of the hill for first timers, especially if you're alone. That approach from the South is steep with loose chunky rocks. Maybe it's gotten worse recently. It's been about 18 months since I've been there.

(Note: I am the OP, but lost access to the @Torgsurv account, and couldn't reset the password. Anyone with questions or updates feel free to reach out to my new username.)

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm glad you made it up, and hopefully you made it safely back down! I definitely recommend the green route, approaching from the East side of the hill for first timers, especially if you're alone. That approach from the South is steep with loose chunky rocks. Maybe it's gotten worse recently. It's been about 18 months since I've been there.

(Note: I am the OP, but lost access to the @Torgsurv account, and couldn't reset the password. Anyone with questions or updates feel free to reach out to my new username.)
I made it down just fine using the north route. Definitely the preferred route for a beginner.

TEAMSLO

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Bronco 2.7 4d Oxford White & 22' JLURD
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Great post, anyone have the 3 routes on a gpx file that I can get?
Sponsored