Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram3500 diesel crew cab long bed on 37's
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mileage is one thing I care about. It's actually one reason I'm interested in the new Bronco. I already own several fun and capable open top 4x4s. But driving my old Land Rover from Chicago to where I used to live in Colorado for off-roading, isn't always the best experience.

So yeah, I'll be looking at what a new Bronco offers me, that I don't already have in my 4x4s. And part of that is mileage and longer trip abilities. With Bronco I'd be happy hitting 20mpg or a bit over, could live with that. Would be a nice improvement over my TJ which needs some tuning and eats gasoline.
Indio 22, I get where you are coming from, owning other capable offroad vehicles with pretty terrible mileage but if capable mileage is a major priority, why aren't people with that focus looking at the fully electric jeep or waiting for future hybrid and fully electric versions of the 6g bronco coming our way in the near future? I don't think the 21 and 22 model years are designed towards exceeding federal fuel economy standards, only barely meeting them. Shouldn't you hold out for a real mileage game changer if that is one of your top needs?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Merc4x4

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow, I did not expect so many thinking 20mpg or even higher for non-sasquatch 2.3.
19.1 mpg in the city for a 2.3 non-sasquatch 4dr is what I'd suspect.

I just saw a link to this thread which also shows the trip computer during the moab trip. Quick calc shows the average speed above 54 and 21 gallons of fuel left. I'm guessing that is one of the 4dr's. I don't know if it was 2.3, 2.7, sasquatch, doors and or top removed.
15.8mpg highway. This is what I'd expect from a 2.7 sasquatch.
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/so-only-15-8-mpg.3645/

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Theres no free lunch 35s 4x4 brick like looks mileage is a secondary concern

Rover72

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR, 18 Cadillac XT5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

non aggressive driving
Base Bronco = 21 - 23 mpg
Badlands Bronco = 18 - 21 mpg

Drive it like you stole it
Base Bronco = 18 - 20 mpg
Badlands Bronco = 15 - 17 mpg

At what mileage would you "not" buy a Bronco?

edit: above numbers are for 2.7 add 1 mpg for 2.3

OP
OP
Merc4x4

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

non aggressive driving
Base Bronco = 21 - 23 mpg
Badlands Bronco = 18 - 21 mpg

Drive it like you stole it
Base Bronco = 18 - 20 mpg
Badlands Bronco = 15 - 17 mpg

At what mileage would you "not" buy a Bronco?

edit: above numbers are for 2.7 add 1 mpg for 2.3
Subtract 1 from badlands for sasquatch

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Indio 22, I get where you are coming from, owning other capable offroad vehicles with pretty terrible mileage but if capable mileage is a major priority, why aren't people with that focus looking at the fully electric jeep or waiting for future hybrid and fully electric versions of the 6g bronco coming our way in the near future? I don't think the 21 and 22 model years are designed towards exceeding federal fuel economy standards, only barely meeting them. Shouldn't you hold out for a real mileage game changer if that is one of your top needs?
I would say mpg is in the mix in terms of an overall better long distance driving experience, that a new Bronco would offer compared to my older rigs. Which includes knowing I'd get to the destination without breaking down somewhere in Nebraska, lol.

Bumping from 14mpg highway (my 1998 TJ rating as equipped) to 20mpg with a new Bronco, for a typical 3000 mile round trip Chicago to Colorado (with side trips to Ouray etc), at $3 a gallon gasoline ... would result in approx $200 savings. Over time that can add up. I'd be satisfied if the new Bronco could average 20mpg highway.

Joker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I would say mpg is in the mix in terms of an overall better long distance driving experience, that a new Bronco would offer compared to my older rigs. Which includes knowing I'd get to the destination without breaking down somewhere in Nebraska, lol.

Bumping from 14mpg highway (my 1998 TJ rating as equipped) to 20mpg with a new Bronco, for a typical 3000 mile round trip Chicago to Colorado (with side trips to Ouray etc), at $3 a gallon gasoline ... would result in approx $200 savings. Over time that can add up. I'd be satisfied if the new Bronco could average 20mpg highway.
We have friends that own Timber Rige lodge in Ouray. We are definitely heading up there again when we get the Bronco. Such an awesome little town.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

yes actually.
Instead of putting a v8 in a car and going with something called eco-boost and ecoboost mini engines , i expect economical milage above 20mpg at LEAST

Its 2021 believe it or not people are not expecting 15mpg on really any car regardless of its configuration
Yep, I get it's heavy and brick like but Ford's all in on this Ecoboost thing so it ought to pay off with power and economy. If it can't they could have just stuck a V-8 in for power or a NA V-6 for economy.

All that said, I'm still all in on Bronco, at 15 mpg I'll live with it at 20 mpg I'll love it.

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yep, I get it's heavy and brick like but Ford's all in on this Ecoboost thing so it ought to pay off with power and economy. If it can't they could have just stuck a V-8 in for power or a NA V-6 for economy.

All that said, I'm still all in on Bronco, at 15 mpg I'll live with it at 20 mpg I'll love it.
I dont think anybody is going to be able to "live" with 15mpg with the madness brewing in politics right now

we went from like free gasoline in america to almost 5 dollars in a few months

72BroncoSand

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 Bronco, 77 f-150, Jetta Tdi, 1ton
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I dont think anybody is going to be able to "live" with 15mpg with the madness brewing in politics right now

we went from like free gasoline in america to almost 5 dollars in a few months
Not quite.
Ford Bronco 19.1 MPG? 5D0F4903-19FF-4ABF-A10B-613C4297B2DB

Sponsored

Vellicate

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150, 2014 Flex Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
19.1 is better than I was expecting and much better than my 2014 Flex with the 3.5 Ecoboost. I just drove a 2021 F150 for a week and a half, got 14.4 with the 5.0.

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Looking at what the ranger and f150 get 19mpg would not sound unreasonable.
Much better then my current 4x4. But that is the point of the turbos and the 7 and 10 speed.

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Drive it like you stole it. It takes regular gas! That’s a major offset at the pump.

my wife’s new S60 sedan has the T6 engine. It’s pretty fast to be honest. Turbocharged supercharged.Speed wise similar to a last gen S4. It gets 19.5 mpg around town. For a small sedan. The equivalent of premium vs regular is about 16 mpg. So if I could get that with a lifted bronco on 35s on regular would be fine with that.

think about LR discoveries that get low teens on premium. That’s a huge kick in the nuts. a Sasquatch bronco will be less at the pump.

Last edited:

Big L 65

Outer Banks
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I need 25 mpg highway in OBX trim . da hell ford has that 10speed auto ? All them gears better deliver 😡
Sponsored