First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am still on the fence and waiting till more information comes out.... but since thats weeks and months away, might as well keep speculating...

2.3 PROs:
Manual Transmission (and the gear ratios that come with it.)
Metal oil pan
Fumoto compatible

2.3 CONs:
Direct injection
Aluminum block
Oil filter location (based on the Ranger.)

2.7 PROs:
More HP & torque
CGI block
Port injection
Trail turn assist (and the other things that are only available with they auto trans.)

2.7 CONs:
No available manual transmission.
Plastic oil pan (based on other applications)

TBD:
plastic oil pan composite strength unknown
MPG - Based on the 2.3 in the Ranger and the 2.7 in the F-150 it looks like MPG between the two engines will be about 1-2 MPG difference, which I would mark as a major CON for the 2.3/PRO for the 2.7.
Initial purchase price - if upgrading to the 2.7 is in the 3% of the overall purchase range again I'd put that as a CON for the 2.3/PRO for the 2.7

Normally choosing a smaller engine is purely an economical choice - Cheaper purchase price, better MPG and cheaper insurance bill - but with available information so far, that doesn't appear to be the case here.

Right now, as much as I want that manual, I'm leaning toward the 2.7. If the MPG/purchase price is better than I predict with the 2.3 I'll tip the other way.
Sponsored

Last edited:

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Toyota Avalon, 08 Honda Civic, 01 Nissan Pathfinder, 10 3T Saab, 94 Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I would be a bit cautious of a small engine with two turbochargers. I would think the smaller engine would wear out faster.

OP
OP

Dick_Castlesmurff

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would be a bit cautious of a small engine with two turbochargers. I would think the smaller engine would wear out faster.
Durability won't really be known for years, but the noted aluminum vs. CGI block is a nod in that direction.....

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

BuzzyBud

First Name
TBD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Not sure if the 4 door when fully loaded with spouse, kids, dogs and gear would benefit from having the 2.7? I suspect it would. Of course you could go with the 2.3 and leave the spouse and kids behind. Just don't forget the dogs!

Sponsored

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Nothing is worth giving up that sweet 7-speed MT for me. Not worried about the DI motor either, it's not a Hyundai :LOL:

BE_

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 jeep cherokee, piece of junk Korean car
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

you forgot the part where the 2.7 has twice as many turbos to be replaced, tones of piping and junk all over the place blocking access to important parts, and 0 room in the bay making repairs difficult

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

you forgot the part where the 2.7 has twice as many turbos to be replaced, tones of piping and junk all over the place blocking access to important parts, and 0 room in the bay making repairs difficult
You say replace, I say Upgrayedd:

Ford Bronco 2.3 vs. 2.7 ultimate pro/con list 1597075928231

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It totally ruins my day when my engine block wears out because it's the wrong material.....

It's not as if it doesn't have cylinder liners.... Both blocks probably have liners

BuzzyBud

First Name
TBD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I plan to purchase a 2 door with the 2.7. My 2016 F150 has the 3.5EB and automatic. The sport mode is amazing. No problems so far. If the 2.7 is as good as my 3.5, I will be a happy man! The dog will be happy too!

Sponsored

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This. I was thinking the same thing when I saw what it looked like. I think the 2.3L will be much easier to wrench on. I still do all the light/medium repair stuff myself so the 2.7L looks pretty intimidating...

Reactions: BE_

BunkieDuster69

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 3.6 OB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am still on the fence and waiting till more information comes out.... but since thats weeks and months away, might as well keep speculating...

2.3 PROs:
Manual Transmission (and the gear ratios that come with it.)

2.3 CONs:
Direct injection
Aluminum block

2.7 PROs:
More HP & torque
CGI block
Port injection
Trail turn assist (and the other things that are only available with they auto trans.)

2.7 CONs:
No available manual transmission.

TBD:
MPG - Based on the 2.3 in the Ranger and the 2.7 in the F-150 it looks like MPG between the two engines will be about 1-2 MPG difference, which I would mark as a major CON for the 2.3/PRO for the 2.7.
Initial purchase price - if upgrading to the 2.7 is in the 3% of the overall purchase range again I'd put that as a CON for the 2.3/PRO for the 2.7

Normally choosing a smaller engine is purely an economical choice - Cheaper purchase price, better MPG and cheaper insurance bill - but with available information so far, that doesn't appear to be the case here.

Right now, as much as I want that manual, I'm leaning toward the 2.7. If the MPG/purchase price is better than I predict with the 2.3 I'll tip the other way.
Also (Based off current production Fords ( I.e. F150 and Ranger)):
2.7 - plastic oil pan (con)
small percentage known to leak
Not fumoto valve compatible
composite strength (oil pan) unknown ( pro or con)
Easy oil filter access (pro)

2.3 - metal oil pan (pro)
Fumoto compatible
Strength limits known
Oil filter location (con)

Last edited by a moderator:

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Remember, on turbo engines in general, upgrade the Charge Pipes and Intercooler to avoid heatsoak and run cooler (Thus more Buff Ponies)

Imissmy1996bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This. I was thinking the same thing when I saw what it looked like. I think the 2.3L will be much easier to wrench on. I still do all the light/medium repair stuff myself so the 2.7L looks pretty intimidating...
The 2.7 isn’t all that bad, it looks like serpentine belts will be the worst routine job, and those will also probably be kinda rough on the 2.3.

To it’s benefit, the 2.7 does have the oil filter on the front-top of the engine, while I know you have to pull a wheel on the ranger to do an oil change.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Allot of engine anxiety for me are the package differences and how they relate to cost or ROI for what I need. To expand on that, I'm happy with a manual and base engine but want mid package and probably modular HT, white preferably, and want all that in a BL with the optional wheels but I will never use all it's capabilities so if that cost is close or exceeds a WT then why would I not take that option? Ughhh!
Sponsored