Sponsored

2.3L ecoboost V4 vs 2.7L V6 for towing capabilities ?

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Another way to look at it - the 2.3 is the Ranger engine and in some configurations it can haul up to 7,500 lbs. the 2.7 is an F150 engine and it can go up to 10,100 lbs with that engine.

But the Bronco, no matter what engine you get, is only rated to about 3,500 because a trailer will literally push your rear suspension around like a bully who wants your candy
Sponsored

Sparkherd

Badlands
First Name
Sparky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You are limited by the soft suspension waaaaaay before either engine will be a limiting factor in towing. Either of them have more than enough power/torque to handle the very light towing capacity that the suspension limits you to.
Soft suspenders makes towing less boring!!!

Sponsored

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2010 Milan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Definitely held back by the suspension and vehicle dynamics. My Flex has the soft-AWD but rated for 4,500lbs thanks to that loong wheelbase and city suspension.

I'd still keep in mind that Ford recommends running premium when towing, so maybe a little MPG boost would be beneficial.

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I'm not 100% what limits the Bronco to a Max Tow of 3500 but I suspect it may be the rear crossmember the receiver is bolted to. The Braptor has higher tow limit but also has extra bracing for the receiver. Other factors such as weight for the various trims likely play a part in reducing the max from 3500.

In general tow ratings are set by the limit of the weakest link. Such as frame strength, driveline capability (engine, trans, axle), brakes, suspension, engine/transmission/ differential cooling.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The rear springs are soft for good articulation and soft ride. The opposite of what you need for towing with any kind of tongue weight. And you need tongue weight to prevent sway. Could add Sumo springs but there goes some of your articulation. If I was ordering one to tow close to max rating I would probably get the V6, but either will do the job.

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
The Bronco has the tow rating of a Rav4, a V2 would be enough.
You can get a Rav4 rated for 3500 but most are only rated for 1500 as are most other car platform SUVs. Every Bronco is rated for 3500, which is respectable for a specialized off road vehicle.

Last edited:

Sponsored

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
The rear springs are soft for good articulation and soft ride. The opposite of what you need for towing with any kind of tongue weight. And you need tongue weight to prevent sway. Could add Sumo springs but there goes some of your articulation. If I was ordering one to tow close to max rating I would probably get the V6, but either will do the job.
Its crazy how many people whine and complain the Bronco doesn't have the tow rating of a pickup truck. That's not what it's designed for. 3500 is plenty for a typical 17ft ski/fhishing boat or small camper.

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
You can get a Rav4 rated for 3500 but most are only rated for 1500 as are most other car platform SUVs. Every Bronco is rated for 3500, which is respectable for a specialized off road vehicle.
For a body on frame SUV, the only thing I can think of that's been produced in the last 15 years with less than it's piss poor towing capisity would be a 2-door Wranger(?).

Reactions: OX1

Jmanly

Badlands
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the 2.3 in my Badlands and pull a 2700lb popup. It does just fine. Lots of mountains here in Arizona.

Jimco64

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the 2.3 in a Ranger with a towing capacity of 7500 pounds.
I have towed an enclosed 7/16 trailer with two snowmobiles weighing about 3500 pounds with no issues. We also have an Outer Banks with Sasquatch package Bronco with a 2.3 and have been very pleased with the power.
Brian
I have a badlands with 2.3, I’ve towed equipment trailer, 22 ft camping trailer with no power problems.

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I've towed my 3500lb 5x10 utility trailer between MT and WA over 3 mountain passes and have not felt more power was necessary. Mine is a 2-door Badlands, non Sas, 2.3, Manual. 4th gear up the grade gets it done @60-65mph with plenty of passing power available when needed.
I gotta believe the non Sasquatch is better for power delivery & towing, and of course MPG. I would love to run different sets and put the 35"s on only when going wheeling. If I could just switch the instruments between two different tire sizes I would consider buying some TO with 30"s to 33"s.

Coming from a Tacoma V-6 with 190 hp & 220 lbs, the Bronco's 300 hp & 325 lbs are a big increase of power and my Tacoma towed 5,000 lbs with no problems, just slower. I can only imagine when the turbo kicks in the 2.3 being just fine.

Doesn't really matter which engine you get, the rear suspension is butt for towing compared to any F-150.
How much weight can I carry vs droop will I get with a hitch mounted cargo carrier? I gotta imagine too much weight will effect the front's handling too.

But the Bronco, no matter what engine you get, is only rated to about 3,500 because a trailer will literally push your rear suspension around like a bully who wants your candy
Too funny, same question as above... Sorta, the trailer itself will push you around, but how about the weight of a hitch mounted carrier? I know I don't want too much weight and will try to put the less dense but larger items on it.

Too much hitch weight would be bad, but the reality is anything I put in the Bronco's cargo area will be on the back suspension too so I guess both the overall cargo's weight, AND the hitch's weight, carrier and all on it have to considered.

That’s why the majority of 6g broncos sold are 4 doors.
Ouch.
Brian
Those of us that love the 2 door, thank you for buying enough more doors to get the Bronco into production, the fact that we can buy a two door is the cherry on top.
Sponsored