Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Something I randomly thought of today is how good can you possibly make the 2.3L exhaust sound? I listened to some different ones on the Ranger and it still sounds like an import tuner.
You can't make the EcoBoosts sound good. Best to keep them quiet.
Sponsored

ezrod

Base
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, Blazer, Slingshot, Harley Electra glide
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thats me leave it alone, Dont want people to know it has a 4 banger, it loses something in the translation. at least put duals so it sounds like a couple of Harleys riding together.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Best to rip out the stock air filter box and replace with a cold air intake and K&N filter. I am partial to accentuating the turbo whistle more so than trying to make the exhaust sound good.

PNW_Bronco94

Badlands
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Something I randomly thought of today is how good can you possibly make the 2.3L exhaust sound? I listened to some different ones on the Ranger and it still sounds like an import tuner. I like my vehicles to sound nice but think the 2.7 is the only way to make that happen on this Bronco. I need the 7 speed though so I guess it's pick your poison.
It's all a matter of opinion. To me, nothing beats the sound of a V8 and I'm not crazy about the sound of a 4 cylinder. But the 2.7 V6 is not an improvement in the sound department, IMO.

Mile630

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Best to rip out the stock air filter box and replace with a cold air intake and K&N filter. I am partial to accentuating the turbo whistle more so than trying to make the exhaust sound good.
Nicely said. It’s a turbo engine, so make it sound like one. You’ll forever be disappointed trying to make a 2.3t or 2.7tt sound like a coyote.

Sponsored

Section8

Base
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Base
I like a good deep and subtle, quiet sound out of exhaust that I can just feel but isn't really heard by others, but its probably among my lowest level of things important to me in any vehicle I own (I also ride motorcycles). Then again, I don't have an overwhelming need for attention when driving either...

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nothing beats the roar of a V8 but I liked the sound of my 350z with V6 and the Boxer rumble of my STis flat 4 unequal headers. Unique sound. There’s a bunch of exhausts for the Ranger, some sound OK but sound like a v8. Check out YouTube vids

LemonShark

Outer Banks
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG, 2018 Honda Odyssey
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Turbos are magic. Learn to embrace the sound of their wizadry!

Open up the intake and hear it breath. Upgrade the stock diverter/recirc/blow-off (whatever this has?) to get some nice whooshing and psssshng (especially you manual guys!). Get an aftermarket downpipe to get all that wonderful spooling sound rushing out the exhaust.

I agree it's very hard to get a 4 cylinder to sound good, especially on something big, but we've got a lot of fun stuff work with on this platform. I think freeing up the turbo will be the route to take for auditory goodness.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Turbos are magic. Learn to embrace the sound of their wizadry!

Open up the intake and hear it breath. Upgrade the stock diverter/recirc/blow-off (whatever this has?) to get some nice whooshing and psssshng (especially you manual guys!). Get an aftermarket downpipe to get all that wonderful spooling sound rushing out the exhaust.

I agree it's very hard to get a 4 cylinder to sound good, especially on something big, but we've got a lot of fun stuff work with on this platform. I think freeing up the turbo will be the route to take for auditory goodness.
So true. When I got my first STi in 2007, I just loved those sounds. They were so different than the NA V6 I came from. I now have a FBO STi and external wastegate at WOT is deafening. So loud and obnoxious! Quiet when I don’t get on it so my neighbors don’t hate me.

Sponsored

Zinn

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2020 Ranger Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yep, a good exhaust will complement the sound of the engine. But an engine that sounds like a lawnmower is not something you want to trumpet around. Kids do this with their Honda Civics and it’s always just cringeworthy.

I have the 2.3L in my Ranger and it’s a fine engine, but you really don’t want to hear it. And that’s okay.

I agree with the idea of cold air intake and increasing the turbo / induction sound. At least then you’re highlighting the vehicles innately cool sound and not trying to pretend it’s something it’s not (a v8)

OP
OP
BOLD Renegade93

BOLD Renegade93

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yep, a good exhaust will complement the sound of the engine. But an engine that sounds like a lawnmower is not something you want to trumpet around. Kids do this with their Honda Civics and it’s always just cringeworthy.

I have the 2.3L in my Ranger and it’s a fine engine, but you really don’t want to hear it. And that’s okay.

I agree with the idea of cold air intake and increasing the turbo / induction sound. At least then you’re highlighting the vehicles innately cool sound and not trying to pretend it’s something it’s not (a v8)
Yeah agreed. I'm all about good mechanical sounds

Garbone

Big Bend
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1962 C10, 21 Mustang, 12 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Have to say, inherited our 62 Chevy pickup and found grandad had parked it with a blown motor. Dropped in a factory fresh 350 and nice flow masters. Truck is not cammed out so no gurgle at idle but she sounds sweet as hell when you get on it and engine brake.

Long way of saying, yup, if I can not have old school V8 sound I prefer it be nice and quiet. I will spend my money on an aftermarket hitch and rubber instead.

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I might change the BOV or something along with an upgraded intercooler but that would probably be it on the exhaust/turbo side of things.

I have short tubes, bbk catted x pipe, flowmasters on my mustang and I actually went to the catted x as I was sick of the off road H...too much...10.5 compression and 2k rpm drone sucks.

I am not asking for much but would like to hear the turbo a little and not sound like a fart can civic nor do I want to be all "bro tuck bro" and try to race someone...got a bottle in the other car for that.