First Name
Hans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I agree with fuel synthetic. Also in the good old days oil dilution was cool weather operation to keep oil from jelling, the fuel evaporated at temp aircraft engines.
Sponsored

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I just did my first oil change. 2400 miles and 8.5 months. Oil was slightly discolored, nothing real bad though and no strange smell. I live in very hot climate. I used Mobil 1 5W-30. With all of the oil debacle, posts 6 versus 7 quarts I am in the 6.5 quart camp so that's what I put back in. The oil change was real easy, BTW.

TxHazmat

Wildtrak
First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 Show Bronco, Raptor, CTS V
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So, here a short description documenting the quantity and condition of my OEM engine oil at 2870 miles, the eve before the first, yes early, oil change.

My build is a 2.7 auto BD 4dr MIC mid tow, delivered Dec 1 2021.

Followed break-in instructions, very gentle first 500 miles. Then, variable and increasing pressure. No hard accelerations before 2000 miles. Ran turbos 0 to 6 psi first 500, 0 to 9 until 1500 and only recently as high as 12 psi at around 2500.

The oil today at 2870 miles is lightly discolored, but the smell of fuel is strong. Too strong for my comfort. The quantity shows above the 2nd indicator dot, where the dipstick makes a twist. So I interpret this that it consumed no oil during the first 3000.

I am very pleased with my decision to change the oil tomorrow. The engine oil smells pretty much like gasoline, and that alone warrants fresh oil, IMHO!

I am starting to wonder if the failed 2.7s had detonation inside the crankcase! Is this even possible if the fuel concentration is high enough?

Will post update tomorrow after dealer oilchange. I will be asking for them to filter it, take a sample, monitor drained and fill quantity with great care and get their opinion on fuel in oil.
Thank you for your update and concerns. Great insite to "what if" questions. Even though the Ford Bronco is a awesome 4X4. Ford has been working hard to take customers complaints seriously.
Sponsored