2.7 break-in oil change

mountainbronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So, here a short description documenting the quantity and condition of my OEM engine oil at 2870 miles, the eve before the first, yes early, oil change.

My build is a 2.7 auto BD 4dr MIC mid tow, delivered Dec 1 2021.

Followed break-in instructions, very gentle first 500 miles. Then, variable and increasing pressure. No hard accelerations before 2000 miles. Ran turbos 0 to 6 psi first 500, 0 to 9 until 1500 and only recently as high as 12 psi at around 2500.

The oil today at 2870 miles is lightly discolored, but the smell of fuel is strong. Too strong for my comfort. The quantity shows above the 2nd indicator dot, where the dipstick makes a twist. So I interpret this that it consumed no oil during the first 3000.

I am very pleased with my decision to change the oil tomorrow. The engine oil smells pretty much like gasoline, and that alone warrants fresh oil, IMHO!

I am starting to wonder if the failed 2.7s had detonation inside the crankcase! Is this even possible if the fuel concentration is high enough?

Will post update tomorrow after dealer oilchange. I will be asking for them to filter it, take a sample, monitor drained and fill quantity with great care and get their opinion on fuel in oil.
Sponsored

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Will post update tomorrow after dealer oilchange. I will be asking for them to filter it, take a sample, monitor drained and fill quantity with great care and get their opinion on fuel in oil.
You have a lot of faith in dealer oil change! I hope they agree to do all this for you (and follow through)!

Also, no offense but kinda don’t see the point of this particular post. To announce you’re *about* to have an oil change? To report on the scent of your oil after 2500 miles? IMO, post once you have some data (oil analysis?) or conclusions, or at least after you do the darn thing. Honestly not trying to troll you it’s just, think of all the spam if posts were like:

- About to Get Carwash Tomorrow
- Rainstorm Coming Tomorrow, Wonder if Roof Will Leak?
- I Might Get in a Crash Tomorrow
- Inflating my Tires Tomorrow Morning

Last edited:
OP
OP
mountainbronco

mountainbronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You have a lot of faith in dealer oil change! I hope they agree to do all this for you (and follow through)!

Also, no offense but kinda don’t see the point of this particular post. To announce you’re *about* to have an oil change? To report on the scent of your oil after 2500 miles? IMO, post once you have some data (oil analysis?) or conclusions, or at least after you do the darn thing. Honestly not trying to troll you it’s just, think of all the spam if posts were like:

- About to Get Carwash Tomorrow
- Rainstorm Coming Tomorrow, Wonder if Roof Will Leak?
- I Might Get in a Crash Tomorrow
- Inflating my Tires Tomorrow Morning
Just like your handle "not applicable"!
I dont need your opinion or approval to do my post in two steps. Grow up!

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Just like your handle "not applicable"!
I dont need your opinion or approval to do my post in two steps. Grow up!
I said no offense, and I honestly meant it. Sorry you took offense anyway.

OP
OP
mountainbronco

mountainbronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
well, I am back from my oil change and here are some points;

1. they strained/filter the used oil and observed no particles
2. they took a small sample, which I will retain and only have analyzed if my engine fails
3. they removed 7 quarts, exactly as they described it
4. they replaced 7 quarts
5. they describe the fuel smell of the engine oil as "normal". They told me they tested a brand new Bronco they have ready for delivery, and apparently smells like fuel also. I will be watching this over the next few hundred miles and if the odor returns, will push for a PCV replacement.

while I was there I asked for the rear hatch glass to be raised 1/16 or 1/8th, as it is rubbing against the tailgate when you close it. Well, that turned out to be a disaster. First, they could not find a way to adjust the glass upwards, and in the process removed trim to expose the inside back, including the wires and wiper motor. They re-assembled incorrectly, with loose screws and broke tabs in the trim. Now I have a rattle in the back, on top of a rubbing tailgate - submitted a warranty repair question and waiting for Ford..................

I checked the oil with the dipstick upon coming home and the level is exactly where it was last night before the oil change - so I guess that is all good news.

Sorry if I bored some of you with this, but with the ongoing 2.7 engine issues, the inaccurate dip-stick, the discussion around 6 or 7 quarts and the question around whether to install a catch-can, I thought this may provide some insights.

Sponsored

Cat

Wildtrak
First Name
Cat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB500SL, HD Road King Custom
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

2. they took a small sample, which I will retain and only have analyzed if my engine fails
5. they describe the fuel smell of the engine oil as "normal". They told me they tested a brand new Bronco they have ready for delivery, and apparently smells like fuel also. I will be watching this over the next few hundred miles and if the odor returns, will push for a PCV replacement.

while I was there I asked for the rear hatch glass to be raised 1/16 or 1/8th, as it is rubbing against the tailgate when you close it. Well, that turned out to be a disaster. First, they could not find a way to adjust the glass upwards, and in the process removed trim to expose the inside back, including the wires and wiper motor. They re-assembled incorrectly, with loose screws and broke tabs in the trim. Now I have a rattle in the back, on top of a rubbing tailgate - submitted a warranty repair question and waiting for Ford..................

I checked the oil with the dipstick upon coming home and the level is exactly where it was last night before the oil change - so I guess that is all good news.

Sorry if I bored some of you with this, but with the ongoing 2.7 engine issues, the inaccurate dip-stick, the discussion around 6 or 7 quarts and the question around whether to install a catch-can, I thought this may provide some insights.
Thank you! Great report, and helpful.

jehines3

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX350L, Chevrolet Silverado, Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Send the oil in. What's $35? You said it smelled like fuel. If that is true it can lead to eventual bearing damage.

Blackstone will file all of your oil samples together over the life of the vehicle. Oil analysis benefits from trending, not a part failed so here is this data that could have prevented the failure after the fact.

OP
OP
mountainbronco

mountainbronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
And now a short update after driving a good distance with new oil.

Wow, what a difference, runs now even smoother, and my MPG improved by 1 !!

For all those that think breaking in an engine is not real, well, it is! And doing a break-in oil change is definitely worth the $ 105 it cost me!

ex_nyer

Badlands
First Name
Chokes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Land Cruiser, Outback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Thanks for the PRE and POST comments on the oil change. I came to this page exactly for the information you provided.

Folks like you who take the time to add quality information to this Board make it the valuable tool it is. Keep up the quality work and please let the community know if you learn anything.

OP
OP
mountainbronco

mountainbronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks for the PRE and POST comments on the oil change. I came to this page exactly for the information you provided.

Folks like you who take the time to add quality information to this Board make it the valuable tool it is. Keep up the quality work and please let the community know if you learn anything.
Thank you, very much, for these encouraging words!

Sponsored

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ll do my first oil change at 5000 as the factory recommends

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you drive lots of short trips that doesn’t allow the engine to heat up to operating temperature, fuel can end up in the oil. Several types of engines need to be run hard to seat the rings (unseated rings will allow fuel to wash into the oil). I’m not sure if the 2.7 is in that category. Yamaha 4.2 outboards are notorious for not seating rings if they are not run hard during break in.

Murraydog11

Outer Banks
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2Dr Outer Banks, Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I just got my first oil change yesterday @ 2,109 mi. I had a free first oil change coupon from Ford that I tried to use, but I wanted full synth, so I had to pay for the oil. So $80 bucks for what normally would be a $130 oil change. Odd though, the dealer used Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 API GF-6A, when the cap says 5W-30. Ford know best I guess...

oilchange-jpg.jpg

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just got my first oil change yesterday @ 2,109 mi. I had a free first oil change coupon from Ford that I tried to use, but I wanted full synth, so I had to pay for the oil. So $80 bucks for what normally would be a $130 oil change. Odd though, the dealer used Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 API GF-6A, when the cap says 5W-30. Ford know best I guess...

Ford Bronco 2.7 break-in oil change oilchange-
Take it back and ask them why they put the wrong oil in? It calls for xW-30. You would be better off if they had used the syn blend in the right viscosity. Plus the motorcraft synthetic doesn't meet Ford spec WSS-M2C963-A1.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco 2.7 break-in oil change oilchange-
I would definitely have them swap the 5W30 unless the dealer can site where the factory recommends the lighter viscosity oil. It's nothing to panic about IMO, but would not be my first choice personally. I also wouldn't worry about the new spec with the 2.7, it's specifically for the DI motors. The 2.7 uses DI and port.
Sponsored