First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks for the reply, I will check Valvoline.
Sponsored

Jpursuit

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 f250 king ranch 4wd, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We have a Ronin plug. Didi not think it would be needed but that proved my thinking was wrong!!

Looking for a good full synthetic oil for the 2nd change. One that meets the WSS M2C961-A1 spec that Ford calls for is not real easy to find locally.

Interesting that Pennzoil and Mobil 1 do not have this spec. (at least in my searching I did not see it.) Royal Purple, Amsoil OE Advanced, Amsoil XL, Castrol Edge, GTX and Magnatec do meet this spec., as does Motorcraft.

Most likely others that meet the spec. I believe we will stay with Motorcraft to keep it simple.
You got me worried with this post as I have 3 cases of Mobil 1 that I purchased for future oil changes. Looking at the spec sheet you will see that FORD WSS-M2C961-A1 is not listed in the section for "recommended for use in applications requiring...", BUT is listed below that section in the "meets or exceeds the requirements section. ... I've attached the spec sheet PDF

Attachments

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That is good. M1 seems to be a great oil. And available in many places.
I edited my earlier post to show this.
Thank you for correcting this.

Last edited:

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Since I like Mobil 1 oil, I called Mobil 1 to ask why the new Ford oil spec WSS M2C961-A1 is not on Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 Extended Recommended list but is on the Meets or Exceeds the specification list for their 5-30.

Short answer "Not sure why". The rep went on to explain that because it is on the Meet or Exceed List they are satisfied that it is covered under their warranty for vehicles calling for the spec.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Don't quote me on this, but I thought that Ford Spec requirement translates to SP and GL6 rating.

Murraydog11

Outer Banks
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2Dr Outer Banks, Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I just got my first oil change this past Wed. @ 2,109 mi. I had a free first oil change coupon from Ford that I tried to use, but I wanted full synth, so I had to pay for the oil. So $80 bucks for what normally would be a $130 oil change. Odd though, the dealer used Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 API GF-6A, when the cap says 5W-30. Ford know best I guess...

UPDATE: 3/22/22

Dealer replaced oil with 5W-30 API GF-6A full synth at no additional charge. No questions asked.
I am happy with the outcome.

Ford Bronco First oil change on 2.7 oilchange-jpg-

Last edited:

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
FORD does know best and they say 5w-30.
Local Ford dealer's oil change boy may not know beans and grabbed 5W-20.
Motorcraft Full syn 5w-20 does not meet the spec the owners manual calls for either.

Me, I'd go back and get 5W-30. Especially with summer coming
Even in extreme cold FORD says 0w-30.

Last edited:

Sponsored

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I

It's a good thing you're changing it yourself then! 8000km and had the dealer change mine.... $91
No reason to change the oil at 5k miles unless you're driving it in extreme conditions while max towing at 100mph daily. Lol
But, your dime 🤷🏻
Of course, you'll see comments like mine in the 40 other oil change threads as well! Lol
Damn, $91 is cheap as hell considering oil and a filter no labor ran me $83 from the dealer

Fmuguira

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The techs doing oil changes as previously mentioned are the least skilled/experienced people.

In the shop/maintenance world they re often referred to as ‘Grease Moneys’ …. Thus my humor towards bananas.
Sponsored