Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC 1500 Denali
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

On another note, is there anyone that has an engine within these build dates & mileage that could get their probed and see if there is any early signs of cracks or possible damage
I called my dealer yesterday regarding this. I have a really good relationship with the sales manager and GM. They checked with their head of service and indicated there really isn't a way to check valve 5 or 6 without taking things apart. So unfortunately you have to sit back and hope for the best.
Sponsored

broncoky

Outer Banks
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2DR CB OBX SAS & 2000 Lexus LS400
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

^This, a NHTSA inquiry will light a fire under Ford's ass.

Please report any engine failures here.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2021/FORD/BRONCO/SUV/4WD#manufacturerCommunications

I think something might be going on. I haven't been able to access any of the full size Bronco's information on the NHTSA website for well over a month now. You can view the source code and see some of it, but it don't contain all of the information that the PDF files do. It's strange because literally every other car I look up, I have no problem. I emailed the webmaster about a week ago about the issue and have yet to receive a response.

I've been watching this very closely as my engine is 21159. Up until recently I hadn't seen one with this date, but now one has popped up from the same day with the highest mileage reported.

W. T .F.

faziorf

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR OBX AMB
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2021/FORD/BRONCO/SUV/4WD#manufacturerCommunications

I think something might be going on. I haven't been able to access any of the full size Bronco's information on the NHTSA website for well over a month now. You can view the source code and see some of it, but it don't contain all of the information that the PDF files do. It's strange because literally every other car I look up, I have no problem. I emailed the webmaster about a week ago about the issue and have yet to receive a response.

I've been watching this very closely as my engine is 21159. Up until recently I hadn't seen one with this date, but now one has popped up from the same day with the highest mileage reported.

W. T .F.
The NHTSA site used to redirect correctly to a 2dr and 4dr variant. At some point over the past month or so, they changed the redirect URL (depending on how you get to it) for both to https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2021/FORD/BRONCO/SUV/4WD which gives you an error.

I now use:
https://api.nhtsa.gov/vehicles/byYm...rd&model=Bronco&modelYear=2021&detail=details

Will return everything (max=100 in the URL) on the NHTSA site so far for the two Bronco variants (2dr and 4dr) but I'm not sure they are being distinguished yet. Recalls, complaints and communications are all listed in the output including links to related docs.

Boxer4

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRUCK
Your Bronco Model
Base
Jones Ford. Honestly the purchase process wasn’t the greatest either w/them. I am sure The whole process from Ford Corporate is making me feel that way, but now w/the lack of empathy coming from the service department, I am beyond frustrated w/this dealership. I would think the GM would be calling trying to do whatever it is they think is right, however I don’t even know if the issue has gone above my tech.
There are some good post on this thread how to push your claim directly with Ford. See if Ford can push the dealer to get you an itemized work order of what the dealer intents to fix.
Ask members here if that work order has issues.
Good Luck.

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As part of the replacement, I would ask them to inspect the oxygen sensors and the face of the catalytic converter. It there is damage to either this will cause more problems down the road. We should put together a list of things that shall be replaced and things that should be looked at. Imagine a chunk of valve or massive oil deposits on your converter.🤮
there’s really no way to make the service department replace anything Ford’s warranty folks don’t approve. If they prescribe a new engine, that’s all you’ll get. Ford won’t give service departments a blank check to go inspect other components.
There in lies a big problem. I had a Subaru that lost a valve and seat. Did not have time to repair myself so took it to a Subaru guy. Almost a year later, there had developed a loud rattle under the car, thought it was a heat shield. What it ended up being was some of the broken parts were in the exhaust. Over the time since engine replacement, they had wore a hole through the catalytic converter honeycomb and were rattling around the pipe further down starting to destroy the second cat. So the expensive engine repair got a lot bigger.

Just a note from fairly recent first hand experience that debris from a catastrophic failure is a very valid concern.

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have broken in lots of Turbo motors, believe me, after 20 minutes - you can run them full tilt without any issues.

_finack

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Lincoln MKZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know some news outlets monitor this forum as I've seen plenty of "according to a post at Bronco6g.com...". I'm very surprised this hasn't gotten picked up as a news item. You'd think for sure that someone like Jalopnik would run with it at least for the ad impression revenue.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Any automobile can get stuck out in the wilderness. You should plan for this eventuality.
In Motorsports, unlike a lot of other sports, there is a real risk of death. Engine, clutch, trans, tires, steering breaking at the wrong time could put you into a wall at 100+mph, or roll you off the 1000' cliff.
You don't even have to break anything. Simple loss of concentration or the wrong reflex action could have fatal results.
I don't see this engine failure being any more or less of a safety issue than any other component failure. Seems like everyone reported has had time to coast to a stop on the side of the road. If all 4 tires locked up due to engine failure, I'd be saying the opposite.

I'm "worried" equally of any part failure/break at this point, since all parts seem hard to source at this time.

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Has anyone who used Twitter tried to tweet this to Levine? Interested to see if he’d respond……. Or block the user who tweets it!

As for the engine failure on the highway- people have been able to coast off safely SO FAR. Driving around a batch of tractor trailers could be a different story. I see them trailing cars by less than 5 feet constantly. If your engine blows suddenly and loses speed- good luck getting that truck to stop before crushing you. This could potentially be a huge liability issue for ford- especially if engines are blowing more than we’ve seen and they’ve ignored the issue.

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

- yes these are more realistic views of the problem scope overall

- and remember the late Oct fb post by Ford Service Technician - said "about thirty in the last month . . in the Ford Technicians Forum page"
- some questioned it, but if phony how come he's dead-on w 2.7 vs 2.3
- no, the #'s match reality - looks legit - and he was only talking about 1-month of failures
- and Ford Service Technicians Forum is the best gauge of the problem nationwide

? so how many total ? since Bronco Rollout last spring ? total # of blown 2.7's so far ?
- nationwide it has to be well over a hundred by now

note- more than 16-months my build/plan was 2.7
Damn. I never saw the post from that technician. He’s dead on with the 5000 miles as well. Why isn’t this a recall?

Sponsored

mmmeff

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Just took delivery of my 2.7 Wildtrak here. Been following this thread nervously for a while now. Here's to hoping 21324 is a lucky number. Planning on driving the crap out of mine, have a few road trips from WA -> UT/CO planned this year. Here's to hoping for a reliable build.

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] IMG_0782

bkfit

Base
First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spaceship
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Just took delivery of my 2.7 Wildtrak here. Been following this thread nervously for a while now. Here's to hoping 21324 is a lucky number. Planning on driving the crap out of mine, have a few road trips from WA -> UT/CO planned this year. Here's to hoping for a reliable build.

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] IMG_0782
November 20th 2021…

Baddie64

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep Liberty, 2013 Ford Fusion Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A word from Ford on this would be nice. Guessing they are weighing the cost of bad PR from an engine recall vs letting it play out and replacing xxxxx # of engines as they blow.

Either way, this is not going to stay off big media outlets for long If it continues.
Sponsored