First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Been busy w/work and haven’t been on in a few days. Can’t believe we are up to 33 and another with a replacement…ugh!

got a call yesterday, my replacement engine has arrived at the dealer…car should be good to pick up early next week. Tech mentioned it is a news part number.

quick question, what should I ask? What should I look for? Anything I should know or that even we would want to know on here?

I will take pics of the new engine and post when I get it.
Will be interesting to see what the new part # is now post "engineering hold". Don't know as it will tell us much, as service part #s and production part #s are different to begin with. Hopefully they notate on your invoice what steps the tech took to diagnose, and what he found. Most have been pretty decent about that. Hope you get it back soon and all is good!
Sponsored

widnere12

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I'm not trying to minimize anyone's problems, as this absolutely SUCKS for anyone this has happened to, but I have a question.

For manufactured Just under 13,000 Bronco's last month alone. 33 engines is only .002% failure rate on a single month of production, and those 33 engines are actually from a year and half of production.... so probably add another couple of zeros in front of that 2 for a real % of failure.

Does Ford really care about a problem that statistically insignificant?

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Just a data point for those tracking engine build dates and revisions... No issues, for build data only.

My 2022 2-Door Wildtrak 2.7L had:

Build week: 1/10/2022
Blend date: 1/12/2022
Build date: 1/14/2022
Engine Code: AB
Engine date: 347 (12/13/2021)

----

And just a comment for all those discussing that Ford should do a "recall". Recalls are exclusively for safety related issues and are triggered by the NHTSA. Even 'voluntary recalls' are from NHTSA investigations where the manufacturer is usually told a NHTSA recall is imminent.

Would an engine failure constitute a safety issue?
Different question, but I think usually not unless it also causes the drivetrain to lock up and skid to a stop, which isn't usually the case with auto transmissions, which of course is the only transmission paired to the 2.7L.

Of course that doesn't stop Ford from instituting a 'service action' for the 2.7L motors.
Interesting. My 1/11 blend has a 356/Dec 22 AB engine in it.

widnere12

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I just received a recall notice for my Honda Pilot’s hood latch. This is what honesty and transparency looks like. This is why I have been a loyal Honda customer and trust them. No accidents or injuries reported but they still issue a recall and get the problem fixed for their customers. What will it take for Ford to do the same?

812ADF8F-EDE5-4F62-9609-0A745CB86A82.jpeg
Ford did exactly the same thing for exactly the same problem on the 1993-5 Mustangs.

Or more recently on the MIC tops for the Bronco. Every single hard top was replaced voluntarily.

One thing of note however, the Honda Recall is a mandate from the NHTSA due to the obvious safety issues that could occur if a hood opens at 75mph on the freeway. It was a mandate,not a voluntary choice.

The Ford Hard-top was an example of a company stepping up, admitting a mistake, and taking credit for a poorly manufactured item that didn't have a safety issue attached.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
In most cases it won’t be a safety issue. When it will be is if/when someone loses power on the freeway in the middle of a tractor trailer convoy and can’t pull over. See many trucks ride several car lengths off the car in front of them? Not many in my neck of the woods. So it would take the perfect storm for someone to get seriously hurt or killed, but the potential is there. Thank goodness all the ones on here who have a blown 2.7 were able to get out of harms way or weren’t in harms way to begin with.
Someone recently died on I-96 after her engine failed (not in a Bronco).

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news...nty-when-car-stalls-suv-hits-her-from-behind/

It is a serious safety issue.

Sponsored

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not trying to minimize anyone's problems, as this absolutely SUCKS for anyone this has happened to, but I have a question.

For manufactured Just under 13,000 Bronco's last month alone. 33 engines is only .002% failure rate on a single month of production, and those 33 engines are actually from a year and half of production.... so probably add another couple of zeros in front of that 2 for a real % of failure.

Does Ford really care about a problem that statistically insignificant?
It is not 33 out of total broncos produced. Its 33 out of forum members- those already members and those who joined once their motors blew. You CANNOT use total 2.7’s produced in the calculation. We don’t know how many are out there or how many out there have or have not failed. All we use this data for is based on what we know. There has been date ranges established, etc but we have not calculated a failure rate because we can’t. Neither can you unless you somehow know the total number of 2.7’s sold, driven and how many have or have not failed.

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Ford Hard-top was an example of a company stepping up, admitting a mistake, and taking credit for a poorly manufactured item that didn't have a safety issue attached.
And then releasing another flawed version of said top.

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And the 13k broncos built last month- most have probably not been delivered and most probably fall outside the engine build dates with issues established here.

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

33/13000 = 0.254%
33 of 13000 is actually quite high and definitely would result in a recall from the NHTSA if investigated. And that is just from forum members.

Sponsored

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

33 of 13000 is actually quite high and definitely would result in a recall from the NHTSA if investigated. And that is just from forum members.
That number is meritless anyway. Those broncos engines are well outside the troubled engine date range gathered here.

Yodi

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I just hit 1200 miles and have several trips set for spring. Imma gonna stress test this thing and see what happens around town before I take a trip deep in the mountains. I've been on it pretty hard on the highway and one thing that surprised me is how fast the oil temp comes up under hard accel.

Rpm

Wildtrak
First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X3
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Build week 162, 7.5k miles so far and no issue yet.
Can we say I have dodged the bullet?

Last edited:

widnere12

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

33/13000 = 0.254%
Yes.... we agree....
33/13000 = 0.254%
33/13000 = .00253846.... but you're right. As a percentage, it should be properly simplified, and I was not trying to mislead.

But my point is still the same. If we actually bring it to Bronco deliveries in 2021, the number shrinks to 0.00132 (or 0.132%)

Is that even statistically viable enough that Ford would Care at this point?

I'm sure that the real answer lies more in the cost of repairs and public perception than statistical failure numbers though.

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes.... we agree....

33/13000 = .00253846.... but you're right. As a percentage, it should be properly simplified, and I was not trying to mislead.

But my point is still the same. If we actually bring it to Bronco deliveries in 2021, the number shrinks to 0.00132 (or 0.132%)

Is that even statistically viable enough that Ford would Care at this point?

I'm sure that the real answer lies more in the cost of repairs and public perception than statistical failure numbers though.
What numbers are you using from 2021?
Sponsored