2.7L CAST IRON BLOCK - WHY?

RAB123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 RUBICON , 1980 BLAZER , OWNED LIKE 4 OF THE ORIGINAL BRONCOS
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'd be much more excited to see two more cylinders added to a 2.7. That 3.6L V8 CGI block designed to handle boost would bring more to the table, and more consumer interest, than simply scaling up the V6 in volume I would think.
Is that 3.6 V-8 in a production model ? does it have the architecture as the 2.7 ?

Is the 3.0 eco boost bored and stroked or just ?

Do all these fords engines share the same bell housing pattern ?

I'm new to this new breed of engines , I hot rodded my share of the older stuff but never none of this generation .
Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is that 3.6 V-8 in a production model ? does it have the architecture as the 2.7 ?

The 3.6 is just the theoretical extension of the 2.7 by volume per cylinder. There might be an engineer at Ford who has tinkered with the idea, but as far as I know there has never been any official indication Ford is making a small V8.

Yes, the 3.0 is just a modification of the 2.7.

RAB123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The 3.6 is just the theoretical extension of the 2.7 by volume per cylinder. There might be an engineer at Ford who has tinkered with the idea, but as far as I know there has never been any official indication Ford is making a small V8.

Yes, the 3.0 is just a modification of the 2.7.

Thanks for the info ,

do you know what the mod is on the 3.0 ? stroke or bore or both ?

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Sponsored

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yes - the 3.0 is a bored and stroked 2.7.

Do all these fords engines share the same bell housing pattern ?
Ford has a few different bellhousing patterns currently:
- Modular (Coyote, 7.3 Godzilla, VooDoo, Predator, V10, 6.2) - note the squared-off top similar to the older SBF pattern
Ford Bronco 2.7L CAST IRON BLOCK - WHY? coyote

- V6 (3.3 NA, 3.5 NA, 3.7 NA, EcoBoost V6s) - note the more round profile. I'm 99% sure this is the same on transverse and longitudinal applications
Ford Bronco 2.7L CAST IRON BLOCK - WHY? f150 at

- Duratec (2.0/2.3 NA and EcoBoost, same as Mazda 4cyl - you can use a Miata trans to make an EcoBoost engine RWD)
Ford Bronco 2.7L CAST IRON BLOCK - WHY? focus-5s

- Sigma (1.5/1.6 EcoBoost)
Ford Bronco 2.7L CAST IRON BLOCK - WHY? fiesta-trans

CGiron

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Your Bronco Model
Base
The CEO of the Company behind the High Tech for making the CGI in the Nanoengines , Dr Steve Dawson of Sintercast says that a new petrolengine is in the cards. 2019 he said The company also expects the production approval of a new SinterCast-CGI petrol engine, potentially marking the company's second passenger vehicle petrol engine application. The Nano-engines of 2.7 and 3 liters were the first ones on the market. As they were from Ford why not another one from Ford?

From Sintercast

Passenger car blocks in CGI

zaki

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lexus LS 500;'94 Acura NSX;'13 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The 2.7 is not cast iron. It's CGI (compacted graphite iron). It's tougher and lighter than cast. The 2.7 was engineered from the very start to be turbocharged and be able to have extreme durability.
Man but I like the sound of that!
Extreme durability and what not!!?

I haven’t been this pumped about a new car in a very long while ??.

Go FORD!

CGiron

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Your Bronco Model
Base
And CGI-engines can be smaller in size and lighter than aluminiumengines with same displacement. Most people assume that an aluminiumengine always is the lightest on. This is wrong.

GIFA World Foundry Trade Fair, 16-20 June 2015

" Prominent among the cylinder blocks on display is the world’s first high volume CGI petrol engine cylinder block, the Ford 2.7 litre V6 EcoBoost, establishing a new benchmark for CGI in petrol applications. The display also included a direct comparison between the Audi 3.0 litre V6 CGI cylinder block and the Mercedes 3.0 litre V6 aluminium cylinder block, highlighting that the assembled Compacted Graphite Iron engine is 125 mm shorter and weighs 15 kg less than the aluminium engine. "

This means that a CGI-block fits in more narrow enginebays and can can be used in more models.
From

https://www.sintercast.com/market/exhibitions-2012-19/

Sponsored

RAB123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The CEO of the Company behind the High Tech for making the CGI in the Nanoengines , Dr Steve Dawson of Sintercast says that a new petrolengine is in the cards. 2019 he said The company also expects the production approval of a new SinterCast-CGI petrol engine, potentially marking the company's second passenger vehicle petrol engine application. The Nano-engines of 2.7 and 3 liters were the first ones on the market. As they were from Ford why not another one from Ford?

From Sintercast

Passenger car blocks in CGI

interesting to say the least , thanks

So, do you think there is a a larger CGI Sintercast engine in the works for the blue oval ?

CGiron

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Your Bronco Model
Base
Who knows. Dawson said that only " production approval " was needed and that sounds like a ready engine but from what OEM remains to see. Ford is a hot candidate as they are the most CGI experienced OEM . Time will tell. The interesting thing is that petrolengines will most likely be made in large numbers.

Last edited:

guzie

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru WRX sti, 2019 Ford Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is not an issue re-sealing aluminum heads on an aluminum block once blowing a head gasket. if The head is warped from overheating then you get it decked flat and your good to go. I have rebuilt multiple aluminum engines without issue.
Sponsored