Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Do some better research.
The 1.0 ecoboost “belt failure” is caused by a shitty belt tensioner design. Not the belts fault.
Also this has zero to do with v6 ecoboosts or the 5.0 considering they don’t use a tensioner at all, nor do they have failures 🤷‍♂️

The article you posted states all of this if you took the time to actually read it. It also even says there are no issues with the other engines

“In fact, Ford used a similar setup in later-year 2.7-liter and 5.0-liter engines. Some internet sleuthing didn't bring up failures related to those motors—just concerns from owners over the potential for problems.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco,1996 Bronco, F350, JKU, MKZ, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I skipped through it quick but doubt he mentioned the 2.7 has a wet belt driven variable oil pump that’ll cause sudden catastrophic failure right after warranty is up. Might be easy to change when replacing the clacking phasers and timing chains though
You've had this happen?

Foxbody Barra

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mine too. My two door probably gets to 60 as quickly as an 86-90 fox body mustang GT
As a foxbody mustang owner, that’s nothing to brag about, believe me.

Foxbody Barra

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I skipped through it quick but doubt he mentioned the 2.7 has a wet belt driven variable oil pump that’ll cause sudden catastrophic failure right after warranty is up. Might be easy to change when replacing the clacking phasers and timing chains though
Do you have any evidence of these failures?

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The 2.7L is one of the primary reasons I bailed on a heavily modded 2019 Wrangler Rubicon. I have been very impressed with its power and economy.

The 3.6L was a complete dog at altitude despite regearing to 5.13 whereas the 2.7L laughs at it.

I think good maintenance aka moderate length oil change intervals with a stout xW-30 oil is key to longevity, but otherwise...rock and roll.

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Internet amplification of 0.01% of the negative issues trumps the 99.99% of the positive ones as evidenced by this very post.

Last edited:

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Decent video, but definitely an "outside looking in" perspective. He certainly seems to have more familiarity with: engines; their construction; and the components, materials, and manufacturing processes that increase strength and reliability. I just wish he knew something about F150s before he started describing it, haha.

Funny bits:
  • Royal blue
  • Sport is just an appearance package, settle down, Beavis
  • "...in the 1500 segment." Uh, you mean half-ton pickups?
  • Couldn't say a certain HP per liter without giggling.
This is a really good video or start of a series for people unfamiliar with engines and their components but there are some points that I wish had a more in-depth or scientific phrase or sentence included.

Balt

Badlands
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands SAS / 2017 Lincoln Nautilus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Found this video this afternoon by what seems like a true gearhead. Likely unsurprising to most of you, but boy I cannot wait for my rig to arrive!

Loved watching this and learning. I subscribed to him so I get all the upcoming 2.7L videos!

BigSkyBronco

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited - '96 Toyota FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Internet amplification of 0.01% of the negative issues trumps the 99.9% of the positive ones as evidenced by this very post.
Reference the Porsche IMS bearing….. 🤭

Sponsored

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Is that belt problem theoretical, anecdotal or do you have failure statistics on that problem?

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Found this video this afternoon by what seems like a true gearhead. Likely unsurprising to most of you, but boy I cannot wait for my rig to arrive!

I had the earlier generation of the 2.7 in my 2016 F150. I drove that nearly 70,000 miles and traded it on my 2021 OBX 2.7 Eco. Now at 48,000, no issues, runs well. My early advice from my service advisor in 2016 was to faithfully change the oil, and do the fuel injection injector service at 60,000. Nice, reliable engine.

bravely

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
3490 s leonard rd, new palestine in 46163
Vehicle(s)
1973 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Back in the day my old 93 Fox body hatchback with a lot of bolt ons did the 1/8 mile in 9.1

My 2.7L Big Bend Sasquatch loaded up with skids and heavy rock sliders does the 1/8 mile in 9.46 with an S&B air filer and E30. Have more mods incoming, so I should be able to beat that soon 😁

I also let off too soon in this run, so it should be slightly better.

Ford Bronco 2.7L Ecoboost Engine Review by Heavy Duty Mechanic 8787213646_f756b65371_o
e30?
Sponsored