First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands;2015 Hellcat;2016 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My wife and I are just average people like you who want to modify our 2023 Ford Bronco Badlands. We have a lot of mods and upgrades planned and want to take you along for the ride with us. I will keep this thread updated as we complete all the mods listed below.

Right now we are 4 weeks from delivery of our new Bronco and have already started collecting some parts and planning for her arrival.

No, we are not sponsored, we buy all of our own parts at retail pricing, so most likely we are just like you. Links below are just to share where we got things from.

Our Planned Mods:
Advanced Fiberglass Concepts: Forge Carbon Fiber Hood and Forged Carbon Fiber Fender Flares for Bronco - www.advfiberglass.com
Westerner Seat Covers - www.seatcovers.com
Rhino Shackles - www.rhinousainc.com
Pedal Commander for Bronco - www.pedalcommander.com
Diode Dynamics Stage Series Fog Pocket Lights and Stage Series Ditch Lights - www.diodedynamics.com AWE Exhaust with Twin Black Diamond Tips - www.awe-tuning.com
Turbo Smart Blow Off Valve - www.cjponyparts.com
AFE Momentum GT Cold Air Intake and Hot and Cold Charge Pipes - www.afepower.com
Whipple Intercooler Upgrade - www.whipplesuperchargers.com
UPR Dual Catch Can With Clean Side Separator - www.uprproducts.com

Here is our first video to keep track of our progress and journal the build.

Sponsored

Last edited:

Hunger&SharkTooth

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
No ford performance tune?

OP
OP
Bad To The Stone

Bad To The Stone

Badlands
First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No ford performance tune?
I am thinking of going with the VR Tune piggyback module. Also plan to trying out the forscan software. So yes, a little more performance is on the overall list. This is what I have ready to go when it arrives.

Hunger&SharkTooth

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Given all your other upgrades I think your already going to forgo your OEM warranty so you have the flexibility of picking the tune you like best.

I am really happy with ford tune

OP
OP
Bad To The Stone

Bad To The Stone

Badlands
First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Given all your other upgrades I think your already going to forgo your OEM warranty so you have the flexibility of picking the tune you like best.

I am really happy with ford tune
Good to know, do you have a link with details on your Ford tune? As for the warranty, I have talked to my dealer about mods and all depends on the issue and proving what caused any issue etc. I am aware that is a potential. But also an air intake, charge pipes and a different intercooler should not have the ability to cause an issue IMO. But I also donā€™t engineer and build engines for a living, so hard debates to win I am sure.

Sponsored

Hunger&SharkTooth

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My dealer told me any changes in engine bay would run risk of impacting warranty if something comes up.

I agree and understand.

Love the charge pipe add, adds better airflow

Hunger&SharkTooth

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Good to know, do you have a link with details on your Ford tune? As for the warranty, I have talked to my dealer about mods and all depends on the issue and proving what caused any issue etc. I am aware that is a potential. But also an air intake, charge pipes and a different intercooler should not have the ability to cause an issue IMO. But I also donā€™t engineer and build engines for a living, so hard debates to win I am sure.

https://www.lethalperformance.com/f...ry-tool-2021-2022-bronco-2-7l-m-9603-b27.html

Kfonte

Base
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi
Your Bronco Model
Base
My wife and I are just average people like you who want to modify our 2023 Ford Bronco Badlands. We have a lot of mods and upgrades planned and want to take you along for the ride with us. I will keep this thread updated as we complete all the mods listed below.

Right now we are 4 weeks from delivery of our new Bronco and have already started collecting some parts and planning for her arrival.

No, we are not sponsored, we buy all of our own parts at retail pricing, so most likely we are just like you. Links below are just to share where we got things from.

Our Planned Mods:
Advanced Fiberglass Concepts: Forge Carbon Fiber Hood and Forged Carbon Fiber Fender Flares for Bronco - www.advfiberglass.com
Westerner Seat Covers - www.seatcovers.com
Rhino Shackles - www.rhinousainc.com
Pedal Commander for Bronco - www.pedalcommander.com
Diode Dynamics Stage Series Fog Pocket Lights and Stage Series Ditch Lights - www.diodedynamics.com AWE Exhaust with Twin Black Diamond Tips - www.awe-tuning.com
Turbo Smart Blow Off Valve - www.cjponyparts.com
AFE Momentum GT Cold Air Intake and Hot and Cold Charge Pipes - www.afepower.com
Whipple Intercooler Upgrade - www.whipplesuperchargers.com
UPR Dual Catch Can With Clean Side Separator - www.uprproducts.com

Here is our first video to keep track of our progress and journal the build.

My experience with the Whipple Intercooler and AFE charge pipes was that you couldnā€™t get the pipes to fit. I went through quite the ordeal with AFE, even sending them video of me trying to hammer the coupling in to the intercooler, to no avail. AFE was great, and very interested and helpful, and eventually I was able to return both hot and cold pipes without issue. Just a little info before you go down the same path I did.

OP
OP
Bad To The Stone

Bad To The Stone

Badlands
First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My experience with the Whipple Intercooler and AFE charge pipes was that you couldnā€™t get the pipes to fit. I went through quite the ordeal with AFE, even sending them video of me trying to hammer the coupling in to the intercooler, to no avail. AFE was great, and very interested and helpful, and eventually I was able to return both hot and cold pipes without issue. Just a little info before you go down the same path I did.
Thanks for the heads up on this. I have those parts here already and just checked and confirmed the same issue. They are close, I think with a rubber mallet I could get them on; however, clearly that is not ideal. Thankfully I am a machinist and will be able to correct the issue. Since the AFW connectors are nice and round and separate from the cast pipes, I can just throw them in the lathe and take a skim out to get them to fit. I will wait until my Bronco gets here and I am making the swap so I can determine if I want to modify the intercooler or the pipes? I am assuming since you sent the AFE pipes back that the stock pipes fit on the Whipple so the issue is with the AFE part?

OP
OP
Bad To The Stone

Bad To The Stone

Badlands
First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That is a good looking option. I still think I will go with the VR Tune though. Boasts a little more HP and Torque and since I am already using the pedal commander for the throttle response, I like the on off options of the VR and the warm up option. For the other features you get with the Ford version like tire size adjustment, auto start shut off etc. I plan to delve into the world of Forscan to address some of those issues. I like the look of the Oracle flush mounted tail lights and since I will have the LED tail lights stock I have to use Forscan to make the changes to run the Oracle lights. Since I will already have it, I figure I will use it for some of the other changes I have read about like turning on the Sport Goat mode for sure.

Sponsored

Kfonte

Base
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thanks for the heads up on this. I have those parts here already and just checked and confirmed the same issue. They are close, I think with a rubber mallet I could get them on; however, clearly that is not ideal. Thankfully I am a machinist and will be able to correct the issue. Since the AFW connectors are nice and round and separate from the cast pipes, I can just throw them in the lathe and take a skim out to get them to fit. I will wait until my Bronco gets here and I am making the swap so I can determine if I want to modify the intercooler or the pipes? I am assuming since you sent the AFE pipes back that the stock pipes fit on the Whipple so the issue is with the AFE part?
Ohhh man I wish I couldā€™ve done that. I used a rubber mallet and it wouldnā€™t budge, so youā€™ll definitely have to skim. Yeah I kept the Whipple Intercooler and stock pipes fit perfectly. Heard Whipple was eventually going to make their own pipes, but itā€™s looking like thatā€™s fallen by the wayside for the moment.

OP
OP
Bad To The Stone

Bad To The Stone

Badlands
First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ohhh man I wish I couldā€™ve done that. I used a rubber mallet and it wouldnā€™t budge, so youā€™ll definitely have to skim. Yeah I kept the Whipple Intercooler and stock pipes fit perfectly. Heard Whipple was eventually going to make their own pipes, but itā€™s looking like thatā€™s fallen by the wayside for the moment.
Good to know the Whipple part is correct. Strange why AFE would make it so close a tolerance. It only seals on the O-Ring so no need for that front lip to be tight. It just holds the wire retainer from what I understand? Little bit of clearance should be fine. I do feel lucky, should be faster to fix it than having to box them up and ship back for sure. I do appreciate you letting me know though, much easier to take care of before I am on the last step of putting them together.

Kfonte

Base
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi
Your Bronco Model
Base
Good to know the Whipple part is correct. Strange why AFE would make it so close a tolerance. It only seals on the O-Ring so no need for that front lip to be tight. It just holds the wire retainer from what I understand? Little bit of clearance should be fine. I do feel lucky, should be faster to fix it than having to box them up and ship back for sure. I do appreciate you letting me know though, much easier to take care of before I am on the last step of putting them together.
Yeah itā€™s crazy because they know about it, I even tested one of the pipes on my OEM intercooler and it was having difficulty going in. Sent vids and spoke numerous times. They sent me another set of couplings and they still didnā€™t work. I was frustrated at the product, but the customer service was on point. Itā€™s a pleasure to help, thatā€™s why weā€™re all here!

OP
OP
Bad To The Stone

Bad To The Stone

Badlands
First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah itā€™s crazy because they know about it, I even tested one of the pipes on my OEM intercooler and it was having difficulty going in. Sent vids and spoke numerous times. They sent me another set of couplings and they still didnā€™t work. I was frustrated at the product, but the customer service was on point. Itā€™s a pleasure to help, thatā€™s why weā€™re all here!
Just wanted to update you on this. I spoke to AFE they are acknowledging the problem and have the R&D department looking into getting it fixed. They are trying to get a Bronco in there to measure and fix the issue. Meantime they donā€™t have a fix. So offered to let
Me return them. I suggested rather than pay for me to ship it back they pay for the machining, they said they could not do that but they did offer to comp a spare filter and cleaning kit for the intake I purchased and maybe some Swag? I will let you know what they send but their customer service is on it for sure. They want to do their best. Sounds like they will get this part sorted eventually as well.

Last edited:

Kfonte

Base
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi
Your Bronco Model
Base
Jay wanted to update you on this. I spoke to AFE they are acknowledging the problem and have the R&D department looking into getting it fixed. They are trying to get a Bronco in there to measure and fix the issue. Meantime they donā€™t have a fix. So offered to let
Me return them. I suggested rather than pay for me to ship it back they pay for the machining, they said they could not do that but they did offer to comp a spare filter and cleaning kit for the intake I purchased and maybe some Swag? I will let you know what they send but their customer service is on it for sure. They want to do their best. Sounds like they will get this part sorted eventually as well.
Well, thatā€™s nice of them. Iā€™m glad this all happened before you started working on your engine. Sorry it donā€™t work out with afe, though. Let me know if you decide to go another route on the pipes; I may just follow your lead on this round šŸ˜‚
Sponsored