Sponsored

2 Door Race red Wildtrak build. Custom FAB and CNC machining!

OP
OP

Talon2006

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150l, 91 Eagle Talo n
Your Bronco Model
Base
How much does one of those portals weigh?? curious how much they add to each corner. 😁
I want to say 30-50 pounds? I did not think to weight them, but really not that much imho.

OP
OP

Talon2006

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150l, 91 Eagle Talo n
Your Bronco Model
Base
@Talon2006 some of us don't do Instagram. You should do a group buy separate from your current vendor. That vendor has burned some bridges.

We do sell everything on our own website as well. This is a build thread though.... if there is something you want to discuss send me a PM....

OP
OP

Talon2006

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150l, 91 Eagle Talo n
Your Bronco Model
Base
Update:

I need to get my photos together, and do a better write up. Been pretty busy here at the shop designing some new stuff!

I went to Hidden falls this weekend with a few buddies. Lets just say, wheeling with portals VS a stock bronco is a game changer. I was following jeeps on 40's on my stock 34.274" tires, and crawling up effortlessly over obstacles they were struggling on. I got to climb obstacles that I never thought I would be able to attempt.

Half way trough the day my wife looks over at me and says "I haven't heard you grind the skid plates on anything yet. This is awesome!"

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Update:

I need to get my photos together, and do a better write up. Been pretty busy here at the shop designing some new stuff!

I went to Hidden falls this weekend with a few buddies. Lets just say, wheeling with portals VS a stock bronco is a game changer. I was following jeeps on 40's on my stock 34.274" tires, and crawling up effortlessly over obstacles they were struggling on. I got to climb obstacles that I never thought I would be able to attempt.

Half way trough the day my wife looks over at me and says "I haven't heard you grind the skid plates on anything yet. This is awesome!"

Cool. I tried to find your IG but Talon2006 is a private account. You will have to spoon feed it to me as I am not intelligent, I'm a B6G member.

What is the "shops" site, maybe I can check there.

Sponsored

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Update:

So you are running the Tibus portals??.... Those are a cast iron case are they not? I would think 50 lbs on the low end but I may be wrong. They are nice.... I looked at them pretty closely. They probably do vastly improve both your clearance and your gearing. That 50lbs does though vastly increase your unsprung weight. Not much of an issue when you are going slow but it will effect your suspension response any time you are at speed. That is just one of the trade offs, It is simple physics. Trail running that has to be awesome.

One thing I do not like about the tibus portal is that he is using a helical gear set. Too much axial loading for the bearings he is running.... before you react too quickly I am NOT parroting something anyone else has said. I have taught gear design at the university. I actually have a clue about what I am saying.

That said I bet those portals are absolutely awesome to run off road.

Last edited:

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So you are running the Tibus portals??.... Those are a cast iron case are they not? I would think 50 lbs on the low end but I may be wrong. They are nice.... I looked at them pretty closely. They probably do vastly improve both your clearance and your gearing. That 50lbs does though vastly increase your unsprung weight. Not much of an issue when you are going slow but it will effect your suspension response any time you are at speed. That is just one of the trade offs, It is simple physics. Trail running that has to be awesome.

One thing I do not like about the tibus portal is that he is using a helical gear set. Too much axial loading for the bearings he is running.... before you react too quickly I am NOT parroting something anyone else has said. I have taught gear design at the university. I actually have a clue about what I am saying.

I believe I heard Tyler say on last weeks video that they were machined from 7075 but I thought they looked like they were cast. What do I know though I am just an unintelligent B6G member. 😁

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I believe I heard Tyler say on last weeks video that they were machined from 7075 but I thought they looked like they were cast. What do I know though I am just an unintelligent B6G member. 😁
Yea... your are about as ignorant about this stuff as I am.... I recognize you. I am not sure who you are referring to when you say "Tyler".... Was he one of the guys interviewing Quinn?

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yea... your are about as ignorant about this stuff as I am.... I recognize you. I am not sure who you are referring to when you say "Tyler".... Was he one of the guys interviewing Quinn?

I am not the smartest but I have always learned to pay attention. I have been selling lift kits and other accessories for 20+ years now, so I have needed to be somewhat informed. But no expert.

Sorry about that, Tyler is the main guy at BroncoBuster.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I am not the smartest but I have always learned to pay attention. I have been selling lift kits and other accessories for 20+ years now, so I have needed to be somewhat informed. But no expert.

Sorry about that, Tyler is the main guy at BroncoBuster.

Yea.... I know who Tyler is.... I was just having fun.....

If Tyler and Quinn ever had a discussion I want to be a fly on the wall. I have never talked with Tyler but I have talked with Quinn. Dude knows his stuff. I am surprised to see that milled bronc buster piece in the pic above...

I have been trying to listen to the people that I BELIEVE know a thing or two... It is all mixed in with a bunch of noise.... Just so you know, I listen to you.

I have looked up Wolfgang Tibus, been reading everything the werewolf releases. Boy the animosity Wolfgang can through around!

I have already put my money down on Quinn.... Stage 3 and portals.... Should see them in November probably. Fricken lot of money, but I want to do this one right. Everything before this has always been a compromise. I guess this one is too though... It will increase my unsprung weight and my scrub radius.... But I think Quinn's product minimizes those issues as far as is possible in the physical world.

Sponsored

87-Z28

Outer Banks
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You will have to spoon feed it to me as I am not intelligent,
Ok. I will talk very very slowly….

“my stock 87 Z28 rocked and was better than a stock 87 5.0L mustang.” 🤣🤣🤣

Probably not the best thing to say on this forum but I just couldn’t resist.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

@5GENIDN

I appreciate that. It is always a delicate dance between trying to inform those here and not say too much that the Admin wants to ban me.

I have followed Quinn for a few years now. His race portals are used in Ultra4. That is how I found out about him. Then he did the ones on the 4600 Broncos. Was always pushing him to make ones for use "normal" people. Glad to see he did. I love to listen to him explain things, he knows how to take the engineer terms and put them in layman terms. When someone can explain it like that you know he knows what he is talking about.

OP
OP

Talon2006

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150l, 91 Eagle Talo n
Your Bronco Model
Base
They are machined aluminum housings, so way lighter then if they were cast. What university did you work at?

I read your other posts about this. Question, in a helical ger setup how much force is converted from rotational force to axial force?

Hopefully that question makes sense. I went to school to be a RN, not an engineer :p.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

@5GENIDN

I appreciate that. It is always a delicate dance between trying to inform those here and not say too much that the Admin wants to ban me.

I have followed Quinn for a few years now. His race portals are used in Ultra4. That is how I found out about him. Then he did the ones on the 4600 Broncos. Was always pushing him to make ones for use "normal" people. Glad to see he did. I love to listen to him explain things, he knows how to take the engineer terms and put them in layman terms. When someone can explain it like that you know he knows what he is talking about.
Well I am Damn glad you pushed!!!!

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Funny, you can always spot a Houston-area front yard. Portals!
Sponsored