stickshifthappy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, 65 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In February of 2020, with my second daughter due in July, I took a motorcycle ride from Tampa Bay to Mt Dora and then to Cedar Key. By the time I got to Cedar Key, I was considering trading my Harley for a C5 corvette instead because the drivers are crazy. I was terrified I'd be taken out before my second daughter came into the world and when I got home, I stopped riding except for locally in my town. Now that I'm in rural PA I'm riding again, though I also took out a nice life insurance policy on me, and 4 times as much on my wife in case we go together ;)

Gave up riding bikes a log time ago. The advent of the cell phone put the final spikes in that coffin.

The second factor was the explosion of the deer population/coupled with suburban sprawl/density. They come out of no where, and if you're on a bike it's game over.

From Sept. to March if I don't see a new deer carcass daily I'm surprised, and that rarely happened pre 90's.

If I'm gonna be on a bike it's gonna be on an arrow straight road in the middle of the desert.

The wife wanted me to get a bike in the early 90's. I suggested a 1966 convertible Chrysler 300 instead.
Sponsored

SWLABRONCO

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

He is sitting in jail as we speak, attempted murderer, Illegal firearm and shots fired. I will give a more detailed account of events once the police conclude their investigation. I will say this, I am lucky to be alive and it seems at this point I was targeted at random as part of a gang initiation.
I have to ask. Where was your firearm? Every responsible citizen should have a means to protect themselves/family. The use of your firearm should be the last resort. In this case you said shots were fired. That guy shouldn't be in jail. He should be in a box, or at the very least the hospital. Glad you're Ok.

kirnma

Base
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon
Your Bronco Model
Base
So sad but glad you are ok.........Broncos are so hard to get- especially the 2 door. Yes lot of speeders and road rage here in FL. I was on a back road in mid FL recently and getting passed by multiple people doing 90-100. On the interstates I drive between 68 and 70 and I get passed like i am standing sill, people cruising at 90-100 and even more.
I feel the same way. I go 70-75 mph on the highway and get passed by people doing well over 90 all the time. On Rte. 81 in VA, two guys were racing and one of the guys passed me on the shoulder doing 120+. Scared the bajeezus out of me. Another time on Rte. 64, also in VA, a motorcyclist threaded between me and another car going also 120+. Not sure what's driving the craziness, but I sure wish it'd stop. On the good side, I do see a lot more troopers working the highways, which is a good thing.

ScottyC

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

EasternSierra

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect van
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The second factor was the explosion of the deer population/coupled with suburban sprawl/density. They come out of no where, and if you're on a bike it's game over.
I had two extremely close calls in a Suburban years ago. Both times the deer were hiding in roadside vegetation and exploded out from cover at literally the last second as the vehicle got very close. That instinct may work well when a predator approaches but not so well when it's a vehicle. I shudder to think how bad it could have been if I'd been on a bike and the deer had run just a little bit differently in either incident.

OP
OP
Anvilair1973

Anvilair1973

Base
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2 door and 1994 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have to ask. Where was your firearm? Every responsible citizen should have a means to protect themselves/family. The use of your firearm should be the last resort. In this case you said shots were fired. That guy shouldn't be in jail. He should be in a box, or at the very least the hospital. Glad you're Ok.
Good question! Lesson learned. I carry all the time, and on this day I was rushing out during my lunch to hit the post office just a few miles up the road, so I left it at home. First time I had done that in ages. Last thing I was thinking about was an accident since I have never had so much as a fender bender in 36 years of driving, let alone a road rager. Never again.
Sponsored