Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A co-worker from Detroit says 2020-21 build quality could be low due to COVID-19 and its impact on the workforce. Worker shortages are resulting in temp/non-union workers being used on assembly lines and in the manufacturing of microchips and other components. Justifiable speculation?
Sponsored

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
production hasn't begun yet and even in the states with the most heavy handed, draconian restrictions there is easing as cases and deaths are plummeting as well as people taking the vaccines by the millions each day. Basically Covid has used up it's usefulness and succeeded in it's mission so besides the people scared of their own shadows who will mask up the rest of their lives it should be a non issue come production time.

With all that said I'm sure it will still be used as a crutch for half assery.

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A co-worker from Detroit says 2020-21 build quality could be low due to COVID-19 and its impact on the workforce. Worker shortages are resulting in temp/non-union workers being used on assembly lines and in the manufacturing of microchips and other components. Justifiable speculation?
I think its fair to always be wary of early production quality. That said, if these are built with less union labor and more contract labor my confidence just went way up. 😂

I just can't wait for a late model year, been driving a beater jeep for far too long. Half the things on the Bronco are meant to be removed or replaced for fun anyway right? How bad could it be (knock on wood)

Edit: it appears I have hurt some feelings. Sorry not sorry? If I were in charge of Ford I would offer a labor buyout and split the savings of the union parasite between the OEM and Labor force, its not 1920 anymore

Last edited:

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm not worried about, at least not from MAP. If the Bronco was being produced in Chicago like the Explorer then I'd be much more speculative.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A topic like this coming from someone's first few posts and rather new to the forum doesn't sound like something we should entertain.

All assembly line vehicles have some issues with a first run, but don't think that'll come down to who's a temp and who isn't. There are a number of checks along the lines, then QA checks at the end. Everything is never caught and sometimes issues have to do with design; again, not unique to Bronco or COVID-19.

Bet I know what we don't see, the constant panel gaps, faulty switches, etc from a thrown together Tesla, that's were people should be concerned.

Not giving concerns a thought on the Bronco, whatever they are, it can be fixed under warranty.

Sponsored

TripleB

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base Sas 2.7L, 2023 GMC AT4 HDD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Manufacturing in 2021 has removed the human factor a great deal. I'm not worried.

SevenT

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 U15 Sport Edition; 2021 AMB 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You tell me where unskilled workers make integrated circuits and I will avoid that company like the plague. Does not happen in that industry, maybe in automotive assembly plants but not with ICs.

bjellefs

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Mustang, 2008 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm not worried about, at least not from MAP. If the Bronco was being produced in Chicago like the Explorer then I'd be much more speculative.
Agreed. I have heard from friends that work at Ford that the Chicago plant is not the greatest in general. MAP has been very solid.

As far as vaccines go, I think Michigan recently approved auto line workers for getting the vaccine. Most, if not all of the line workers should be vaccinated by the time the bronco goes into full production.

The chip shortage is another problem entirely and who knows how that will mess things up. I would imagine it would just slow down delivery if anything.

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As a general statement, if the line workers are excited about a product the better job they do. At Ford, the Mustang (exciting) and F150 (can't afford to mess up), don't have too many issues related to assembly. Yes, they have problems but it's not the guys on the lines fault - engineering and design elsewhere or a supplier issue are typically to blame.

You see this across other manufacturers as well. The more pride a worker can say in "I built that" the better the assembly is.

Dom

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Expedition, 2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

You tell me where unskilled workers make integrated circuits and I will avoid that company like the plague. Does not happen in that industry, maybe in automotive assembly plants but not with ICs.
YES!! There are no shortcuts in semiconductor. Especially in the automotive sector. And as far as unions go and unskilled workers, this was not a strike event. So all of those skilled workers are probably chomping at the bit to get going on builds.

Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

YES!! There are no shortcuts in semiconductor. Especially in the automotive sector. And as far as unions go and unskilled workers, this was not a strike event. So all of those skilled workers are probably chomping at the bit to get going on builds.
Honestly, I'm not sure that the "skilled" workers are ever really off the job to begin with. If there are temps, they likely have simple roles, redundancies, and a lot of checks after they're done touching anything.

The men and women who assemble things like engines, bold in transmissions, and other sensitive bits are well protected, paid well, and as stated, are giddy on working on the Bronco and will ensure it's done right.

Think the feeling the night before a big game. I have trust in Ford's men and women on the line.

1st4rd

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crosstrek, Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would be worried if Ford was being irresponsible and rushing to keep the original start date, but they seem to be taking their time to get everything right even in the midst of the pandemic. If anything, the build quality will be better because everyone is focused and taking nothing for granted

shoelessjoe

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They aren't going to let temps and non-union workers work on the assembly line. They will hire people and train them and bring them into the union. It doesn't work that way in a UAW facility.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sneakers
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Ford Bronco 2020-21 Build Quality yy7

targas

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
All speculative, but what you can look at is the 2021 F150 rollout, as that is a fair comparison as it is also being produced during COVID., and there are a fair amount of issues popping up for that truck.

Bad batch of batteries, battery drain for the zone lightening, doors not straight, rust on the axles (don't shoot the messenger), rattling noises due to lack of bolts being tightened, fit and finish issues (line workers do control this), front windshield mounting issues, proximity alarm going off at randomly times every night, misc codes popping up.

Is everyone having these problems? Of course not, but you get a whiff of QA issues if you surf around and look at that platform, and look at the TSB's. And these issues are prevalent enough to catch Fords attention as they are addressing many of them.
Sponsored