PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The Toyo AT3s come in a P285/70r17... they have a shorter tread depth but the manufacturer states the overall measured diameter is the same as the LT285.... it's also worth noting that the P version is listed as being 9lbs lighter.... which is significant.
significantly good? or significantly bad?
Sponsored

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
i asked on another thread and one person offered an opinion, but would like to hear from as many as possible on this question - what would be the best gearing for the 285/75/17? in other words, for best performance would one need to go with the 4.7 (meaning squatch, then downsize)?
wouldn't hurt, the Sasquatch are actually 34's* , so you are really close on the circumference, like 2% off. The gearing difference between the higher trims 4.46 automatic and the 4.7 is about 5%, it really won't help that much either. You are , in practical terms, splitting the difference. Since 'best performance' depends entirely on what you think it means, what do you value the most (acceleration, fuel economy, braking, most comfortable ride...)? We don't know what attribute you want to maximize.

*yes, Ford has exaggerated once again, much like the 4.9L V8 in the Fox body 5.0's (although playing with significant digits means that while it is not a 5.0L, it is a 5L.) 315/70-17 tires are 34.4 inches in diameter, rounded to the nearest inch would result in a 34" tire, not a 35".

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

significantly good? or significantly bad?
Significantly different as a percentage of the overall tire weight - 16%

The AT3 LT285/70r17 weighs 55lbs
The AT3 P285/70r17 weighs 46lbs

A 9 pound reduction of tire weight is a pretty significant decrease in unsprung weight (that's good) just by spec'ing the P tire instead of the LT.

Now, those are 33" tires... and this thread is about 34s... but the "P" tire was invoked so I figured it was worth pointing out the benefits of going with a Standard Load (SL) tire if you aren't interested in what the LT tire offers.

There are no P tires in 285/75r17 that I can find.... but honestly, I would spec that with my Bronco use-case scenario.

Richw23

Base
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

has anybody looked at or thought about the Yokohama Geo MT's. they are available in 285/75 R17. the aggressive tread looks damn good to me
Ford Bronco 34"s the perfect size? Yokohama Geolander M-T LT 285-75-R17

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

wouldn't hurt, the Sasquatch are actually 34's* , so you are really close on the circumference, like 2% off. The gearing difference between the higher trims 4.46 automatic and the 4.7 is about 5%, it really won't help that much either. You are , in practical terms, splitting the difference. Since 'best performance' depends entirely on what you think it means, what do you value the most (acceleration, fuel economy, braking, most comfortable ride...)? We don't know what attribute you want to maximize.

*yes, Ford has exaggerated once again, much like the 4.9L V8 in the Fox body 5.0's (although playing with significant digits means that while it is not a 5.0L, it is a 5L.) 315/70-17 tires are 34.4 inches in diameter, rounded to the nearest inch would result in a 34" tire, not a 35".
That's not Ford exaggerating... the 315/70r17 are commonly referred to as a 35" (class) tire.

Pro tip: Don't ever measure the *actual* size of your TV.... or even a 2x4 piece of lumber for that matter. ;)

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

BFG also makes a KO2 in 34 x 10.5. Its "D" rated, 56 lbs, and triple peak snow rated. Actual diameter is 33.5". This seems like a really nice fit for the Bronco, but the prices for them are insanely high. Like $357 high. That's an extra $500 for a set of 5, for all you forum members from Rio Linda. :D
I tried these on my Wrangler... and all the reviews were correct. When mounted they were the same height as the 285/70r17s they replaced...

I pulled them off and sold them within a couple weeks. Replaced them with Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT 285/75r17 which I have enjoyed.

Ignoring the reviews that warned me of their shortness was an expensive mistake on my part.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Are you hoping Fox comes out with their own lift, or are you going to look at the ford performance 2 inch lift? My plan currently is the exact same one as yours. Watching these ride along videos makes me wonder if our BD with a lift will be at least close to those BL rigs that people have been raving about. I hope so.

I guess either way if Fox makes it. I will install myself. I'm not concerned about factory warranty issues. Fox will warranty the parts they make better than Ford anyway.

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I guess either way if Fox makes it. I will install myself. I'm not concerned about factory warranty issues. Fox will warranty the parts they make better than Ford anyway.
Makes sense. Good plan though.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What rating are the bronco tires coming with?

If replacing, should you stick with the same rating?

What difference will the rating make?

When you buy new tires, you should get tires to meet your needs. Not what Ford thinks is a decent, try to please everyone tire. Now it could be that the tire you need is the same tire that came on it, but often times it's not.

If you just walk into a tire shop and tell them your vehicle needs new tires, they'll replace with the same type tire, mostly because that's easier than trying to figure out what you need.

Tires matter. It doesn't matter how great everything else is on your vehicle if the tires don't perform, either on rood or off.

Sponsored

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
BFG also makes a KO2 in 34 x 10.5. Its "D" rated, 56 lbs, and triple peak snow rated. Actual diameter is 33.5". This seems like a really nice fit for the Bronco, but the prices for them are insanely high. Like $357 high. That's an extra $500 for a set of 5, for all you forum members from Rio Linda. :D
You were piquing my interest before the price part. I really wish I had experience with truck tires as I don't know what to expect as I change each variable. While I understand generalities I don't know, say, just how squishy the ride would be on a 295/75/16 wheel versus a 285/75/17 or if you'd even feel a difference.

peterh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler jlu 2018
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

'best performance' depends entirely on what you think it means, what do you value the most (acceleration, fuel economy, braking, most comfortable ride...)? We don't know what attribute you want to maximize.
thanks for putting it this way, since not being knowledgeable I don't understand alot of the nomenclature - to me, best performance would be to not lose factory acceleration when going up from the 33s to the 285/75s -comfort would be second priority, i can deal with a slight mpg loss and my sense is braking would not be an issue since i plan on going with a lighter 285/75 in a C rating (Toyo)

based on that, would love a read on the situation, thanks

AmericanFreedom

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

lmao Rio Linda nice

Uintafly

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Has anybody tried this yet on a stock Badlands suspension? Can you keep the crash bar in place?