Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Very cool! I saw a post somewhere about an even smaller unit coming soon that’s meant to be backpackable

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not sure I’d trust the MIC top to hold that, but cool none-the-less. I’d buy a StarLink in a heartbeat if they offered a daily plan instead of monthly.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I've got a Gen 1 dish sitting on my roof - good to see the Gen 3 does pretty well. And with no tracking required that does let you do neat things like this! Increased power draw would be the biggest concern I'd have overlanding with it though.

Lewisj41

Heritage
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Awesome. Curious at what point if these make it standard in New cars.

Sponsored

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I wish it could be:
* Flush with the roof
* Black / roof colored

- It looks like a little wing spoiler...

privateer35

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2021
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

this is the way

Sponsored

Johnny Rebel

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2D Big Bend, 2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
@OWEN - I think your mount is awesome! I started out with the mag mounts on my old Raptor, but ended up going a different direction on our Broncos. I never had any issues with the mag mounts on a metal roof at high speed, but ended up wanting something more secure on the Broncos.

We've got a couple of Star-Mount Systems cases/mounts on our Starlinks and they are really nice. For the Gen 2, they offer a black case with a tinted top, so it kills the white look. For the Gen 3, they offer a black case, but the white dish is still visible from above.

For the High Performance In-Motion dishes, they offer a quick-release mount so you can easily move it between vehicles (wanted this feature for our Broncos).

They also offer a 12v conversion for the Gen2/Gen3 dish if you want to go that route and get away from having to use an inverter to power it. Wish I had done this for the Broncos. It would solve several installation problems the Gen2/HighPerf dishes present for the limited space in a 2DR.

Starlink V2 Flat Mount- Darth Edition case (photo from their site):

Ford Bronco 3rd gen Starlink mobile tested in the canyon - mounted on MIC hard top! (Replacement equipped with magnetic bracket) StarMount V2 Darth

Starlink High Performance In-Motion quick release mount (mounted on our 2DR with Factory Roof Rack):

Ford Bronco 3rd gen Starlink mobile tested in the canyon - mounted on MIC hard top! (Replacement equipped with magnetic bracket) StarMount High Performance - Side

Ford Bronco 3rd gen Starlink mobile tested in the canyon - mounted on MIC hard top! (Replacement equipped with magnetic bracket) StarMount High Performance - Rear

KirchTX

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think if I were going to mount Starlink I'd want it on a roof rack.

We use Starlink Business for our office and it's great. Only in super heavy rain has it gone down although we've had heavy rain on and off the last few days and I just checked the history in Starlink and our router and we haven't gone down at all recently. Some signal reduction but never knocked out. I wonder if there was an update to help with rain.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Awesome. Curious at what point if these make it standard in New cars.
Given that cellular is already standard and widely available, I don't think this would ever be standard. Starlink really only applies when you are really off grid - which covers a lot of land mass, but not where the vast majority of the population lives. The cost for Starlink is much higher than cellular if you had the option between the two - not just the service cost, but also the hardware (this antenna is $600 retail, and very large compared to a cellular antenna).

Given the Bronco is a primarily off road - intended vehicle, I could see it being an aftermarket option (a lot like how there are aftermarket Starlink kits for RVs and overlanders now), but never a standard piece of equipment with cellular already as ubiquitous as it is.

pillar406

Outer Banks
First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.keeseemotorcompany.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Can it mount INSIDE? Flush with the roof?
I don't think it would be possible as Starlink uses KA band. If they are using Spot beam technology it might provide some interference protection, but due to the nature of satellite internet I'm pretty sure they use broad or wide beam, which is highly susceptible to interference. Rain and atmospheric moisture is highly degrading to KA band. When I used to work in the Army with had a Radome made of amorphous thermoplastics, specified to be invisible to the signal I don't thing the MIC would due to the core and sound deadening. I'm not 100% what the MIC is made of but knowing how the propagation of signal works, I highly doubt it would work.
Sponsored