First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For fun, go test drive a 1991 Honda Civic wagon RT4wd. They had the same basic setup (albeit in an entirely different class of vehicle) in their 7-speed but with it being called "Super Low 1st gear" instead of crawler. Plus you probably can't find any to drive anymore.

Crawler/SL 1st will be a godsend in rush hour traffic. You can zero-pedal crawl at 1 mph, what could be better????

For all the talk about what equates to drag-racing your Bronco and needing MOARULTIMATEPOWER of the 2.7T, most of these will be on-road driven and the crawler gear will end up being easier than an automatic in traffic.

Big thanks to @MSparks909 for the review and giving his input! It's interesting to hear from somebody who has off roading experience that they want to go back to the manual, given how many other folks on here have been deadpanning that idea and extolling the virtues of driving an automatic off road instead. (I will only buy a Bronco if it's manual, so it wasn't a debate for me, just that it has been interesting to hear others opinions/desires based on their use expectations)
Auto’s definitely have their place off-road, especially with newer drivers and/or very technical crawling. When doing rock ledges for example, an auto is much easier to use, especially if you use left foot breaking to modulate your speed (what One Pedal Drive does for you on the auto Broncos).

I used to wheel an 06’ Power Wagon on 37s with a 6 speed manual. It went to Windrock, Uwharrie and Rausch Creek. Ran some serious trails with that truck and the manual never gave me issues off road. Did Daniel @ Uwharrie multiple times. One of the first wheeling places I’m taking my ManSquatch to will be Uwharrie :cool:

I enjoy wheeling both autos and manuals. Can’t really go wrong with either IMO. I will say that Crawler gear is going to come in HANDY for some of the trails I plan on doing.
Sponsored

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
No way ford will go beyond 4.7 for 35s. The Raptor is at 4.1 with 35s. The GEN3 trucks can be had with 37s and Ford still kept it at 4.1.

My guess is that changing the gear ratio will require internal changes to the 10 speed. If not the trans would def have to be reprogrammed.

OP
OP
MSparks909

MSparks909

Badlands
First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No way ford will go beyond 4.7 for 35s. The Raptor is at 4.1 with 35s. The GEN3 trucks can be had with 37s and Ford still kept it at 4.1.

My guess is that changing the gear ratio will require internal changes to the 10 speed. If not the trans would def have to be reprogrammed.
Well Jeep went to 4.88’s on the manual for their “Xtreme Recon”:rolleyes: 35” tire package on the manual for 22’ (100:1 crawl ratio). The Rubicon auto XRs are getting 4.56s. Ford doesn’t like to be outdone so I wouldn’t be shocked if they go to 4.88s as well. Trust me, it needs it with the 2.3/7MT and 35s. 4.70s are going to be undergeared with the 35s on the ManSquatch

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Jeep is not running 10 gears in the auto trans. I think this is the biggest difference.

BUT we will see what Ford does.

Well Jeep went to 4.88’s on the manual for their “Xtreme Recon”:rolleyes: 35” tire package on the manual for 22’ (100:1 crawl ratio). The Rubicon auto XRs are getting 4.56s. Ford doesn’t like to be outdone so I wouldn’t be shocked if they go to 4.88s as well. Trust me, it needs it with the 2.3/7MT and 35s. 4.70s are going to be undergeared with the 35s on the ManSquatch

OP
OP
MSparks909

MSparks909

Badlands
First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Jeep is not running 10 gears in the auto trans. I think this is the biggest difference.

BUT we will see what Ford does.
I’m talking manuals here, not autos. I know Jeep’s have 8 speed autos...I’ll have my Jeep Rubicon here in about a month ;)

Sponsored

Mustbeheresomewhere

Badlands
First Name
Micah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Chevrolet Silverado, 2022 Bronco Badlands 4D
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was able to drive a 4-door non Sasquatch badlands with the 2.3/7MT at an off-road event yesterday. It is a blast off road! I haven’t driven a MT in a looong time and I picked it up immediately, it’s a very forgiving cluch. I did the whole park of mostly steep, dirt trails. I did it all in 4-hi and occasionally locked the rear axle. You will be impressed what this thing can do with just that. The crawler gear is amazing! It will power up just about anything with very little throttle and crawl at 1mph with 0 input.
If you have doubts about driving the MT off road, don’t, it is pure bliss.
I currently have a 2.7l on order because I plan on having it pretty loaded down often. I watched what the trail turn can do and it is awesome also. But I really want a MT still.

Bronco Bax

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve got a Badlands High ordered. I’m on the fence if the Lux is desirable or necessary. If Lux had power seats in the 2 door I’d be all over it. For the B&O stereo and adaptive cruise alone it’s a tough call.
The amount of tech in the LUX is very worth it IMO. I honestly dont get the obsession with powered seats

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The amount of tech in the LUX is very worth it IMO. I honestly dont get the obsession with powered seats
Power seats make a big difference in comfort when you are 6’4” like me. Some manual seats are ok if they allow you to adjust the seat height in a way that causes the rear to slope downward, but many manual seats are too flat and leave me feeling like I’m going to slide forward when braking. Since my legs are longer I like to adjust the front of the seat up to support my thighs on long trips.

I have since taken delivery of my Bronco and don’t regret my choice to go High instead of Lux. I will address the stereo myself for ~$350, or ~$700 if I add a sub. I have since read here that the radar cruise works very well on the manual. I wasn’t sure if it would, but I know on the Raptor it created more hassle if swapping the factory bumper or intercooler. I am very glad I went High package, the 12” screen and 360 cameras are awesome.

wrbix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR Def90, F250 7.3, Caterham 7, LR Series III, etc
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The kicker for me going LUX was the heated steering wheel. Decades of abusing my hands in the shop and around the farm has left me with bad DJD - the heated steering wheel in my wife’s LR is therapeutic even on a warm day.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The kicker for me going LUX was the heated steering wheel. Decades of abusing my hands in the shop and around the farm has left me with bad DJD - the heated steering wheel in my wife’s LR is therapeutic even on a warm day.
I do love the heated steering wheel on my work truck, but that wasn’t enough to spend for the Lux to me.
Sponsored