Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not as many as I thought
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The reality is that tires on the road only have a limited amount of traction to use. Rear wheel drive cars do best in slippery conditions because the front wheels are just having to deal with turning and braking. The rear wheels are just dealing with braking and acceleration.

Front wheel drive cars the front wheels have to deal with braking, turning, and acceleration. This can overload the front tires causing them to lose traction faster than they would in a rear wheel drive car.

So at the limits of traction, 4WD doesn't help with steering or directional control, in fact using 4WD will reduce the limits of traction for the front tires sooner than if not in 4WD.

But that is all at the limits of traction. Only in emergencies do we often deal
with the limits (or in wet or icy roads)

The way roads are de-iced in Minnesota, the dry ground is typically at where the front of the vehicle will typically stop. So in that case, with snow at the rear and dry ground at the front, Front wheel drive or 4WD will benefit greatly.

Driving on ice, 4wd will help you get going faster, but it won't stop you faster, and it won't turn you faster.
I'm curious as to what rear wheel drive and front wheel drive cars you've driven where the rear wheel drive was better. My experience is the opposite, front wheel drive has almost always been better than rear wheel drive. Cars I've driven ranked from worst to best in snow

1970 Camaro,
1974 Ford van
Every 2 wheel drive pickup
76 Ford station wagon
96 Honda Civic fwd
10 golf tdi
62 vw bug
16 Ford fiesta st
74 Audi 100 (fwd)
06 Impreza automatic
80 Cherokee in 4h
22 bronco 4a
16 Impreza manual
96 Impreza manual
22 Bronco 4h

A couple of those are close and could move around a little and of course tires make a difference but in general rwd hasn't been as good in snow.
Sponsored

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm curious as to what rear wheel drive and front wheel drive cars you've driven where the rear wheel drive was better. My experience is the opposite, front wheel drive has almost always been better than rear wheel drive. Cars I've driven ranked from worst to best in snow
I mostly drove rear-wheel drive cars. And if I wanted to turn and slow down on snow, rear-wheel drive was always better. Getting started at a stop sign that has snow on it is always better. Front wheel drive is better. But keeping control when braking, I always favor rear-wheel drive. With either, you need good tires.

FWD -
1979 VW Scirocco
1985 Dodge Omni
1988 Toyota something(station wagon)

RWD -
Good - 1st car - 1965 Chevy Corvair Monza
Better - 1990 Ford Thunderbird SC (35th Anniversary Edition)

harpo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not as many as I thought
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I mostly drove rear-wheel drive cars. And if I wanted to turn and slow down on snow, rear-wheel drive was always better. Getting started at a stop sign that has snow on it is always better. Front wheel drive is better. But keeping control when braking, I always favor rear-wheel drive. With either, you need good tires.

FWD -
1979 VW Scirocco
1985 Dodge Omni
1988 Toyota something(station wagon)

RWD -
Good - 1st car - 1965 Chevy Corvair Monza
Better - 1990 Ford Thunderbird SC (35th Anniversary Edition)
Toyota Tercell?

My brother had one with a "turdcell" vanity plate.

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base

WILDcardOD

Wildtrak
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav4, Bronco on the way
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

And if you don't have 4A, you probably shouldn't be using 4H on the highway anyway. 4WD isn't going to help you much if you start sliding at 70mph. Don't be one of those people that thinks they can drive in snow with 4WD just like dry pavement ;)
Yeah if it’s slippery enough on the highway to be in 4H, your should probably be doing 45 or less anyway.

Sponsored

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Here's my 2 cents with experience: use 4H all you want. I sure as hell ain't going to be engaging/disengaging 4H on roads that are changing from snow covered, to dry, to a slippery overpasses, than wind blown snow across the road, back to dry, then a shady ice covered section... It's going to stay in 4H. You just don't want to make sharp turns, like turning into drive way. Any turn on a highway, interstate, or winding mountain road isn't going to bind your drive train. It's those sharp turns that do!

Also, think about this. Your on Moab's slick rock with 4L engaged and both lockers engaged and climbing a difficult steep climb. I'm betting thats putting way more strain on your driveline than driving down the highway in 4H...

To the OP, I would use 4H all you want if slick surface will be expected but just disengage it when your going to make any sharp turns. And if that sharp turn is slick, keep it in 4H.

Last edited:

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
As long as the road is slippery and completely snow covered 4 X 4 high range is fine. I have driven on many snow covered roads in Massachusetts and Minnesota with many 4 X 4's. Some really treacherous hilly back roads in Massachusetts- always in 4WD when the roads are snow covered. Now if the roads are not fully snow covered- patches of pavement then I would not be in 4 X 4. Never had a problem, never was late for work and plenty of traction.

New2This

Badlands
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Unfortunately I do not :(
I used to live in Michigan and drove a 2wd volvo. My second year there, I bought snow tires and it made a massive difference even on ice

I had Blizzaks on my volvo and they were awesome. saw an article saying they have sizes that fit the bronco, but can't find any.

here are some other options.

WILDPEAK A/T3W (falkentire.com)
All-Terrain Truck Tire | Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 3 (bridgestonetire.com)
Shop All Terrain T/A KO2 Tires | BFGoodrich Tires

here is a thread that talks about other options

Winter Tire & Wheel Recommendations | 2021+ Ford Bronco Sport Forum - Broncosportforum.com

also, keep in mind that having a set of snow/winter tires will significantly increase the life of your summer spring,summer, fall tires.

Last edited:

Boostedblues

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2011 F-250, 2004 Ranger 2016 Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I wouldn't worry about the speed. There are 800hp F-150s that go well past 100mph in the 1/4 mile
not to mention they also launch in 4x4.

Discount Tire

Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I used to live in Michigan and drove a 2wd volvo. My second year there, I bought snow tires and it made a massive difference even on ice

I had Blizzaks on my volvo and they were awesome. saw an article saying they have sizes that fit the bronco, but can't find any.

here are some other options.

WILDPEAK A/T3W (falkentire.com)
All-Terrain Truck Tire | Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 3 (bridgestonetire.com)
Shop All Terrain T/A KO2 Tires | BFGoodrich Tires

here is a thread that talks about other options

Winter Tire & Wheel Recommendations | 2021+ Ford Bronco Sport Forum - Broncosportforum.com

also, keep in mind that having a set of snow/winter tires will significantly increase the life of your summer spring,summer, fall tires.
Cooper and Nokian have some great winter tire options. Unfortunately everything goes on back order this time of year.

Sponsored

Overcooked

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2D WT, 2021 BMW 540,2024 BMW X7 M60i
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If the road is covered in snow/ice, 4H is fine, otherwise just 2H.

New2This

Badlands
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Cooper and Nokian have some great winter tire options. Unfortunately everything goes on back order this time of year.
Discount Tire:

What tires would you specifically recommend (sasquatch vs Non Sas)

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

For me, the whole point of Slippery is for black ice. Esp. when taking off from an intersection...even wet pavement, when you goose it and lose traction. Creates pucker factor. No like.

Discount Tire

Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Discount Tire:

What tires would you specifically recommend (sasquatch vs Non Sas)
Given the availability on dedicated snow/winter tires this time of year, I think my default would be the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W.
Sponsored