First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Grand Sport, Carbon 65, 2017 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
This is what I always did on my wrangler, and what I've been doing on my Bronco.
5 tire.jpg
I asked them at Ford Quick lane service to rotate all five. They say we normally do 4. I said please do all five. He said ok. When we do five, we start with the spare and move them clock wise around the vehicle. I asked right front to left front he said yep. So I drew this and explained thats how I wanted it done. I watched, they did as I asked.
Sponsored

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Question regarding 5-tire rotation....

I bought the car with around 13k miles on it. It now has almost 15k miles on it. I could wait until 20k miles to do the next scheduled maintenance, or I may take it for service soon since I've been doing a bunch of off-roading.

Anyway, I know the previous owner took the car to Ford for service around 10k miles, but I DON'T know if the spare tire was rotated in.

I guess I can determine if it was by comparing the tread depths but if it WASN'T, is it too late now to start rotating it in? Should I bring it in now at 15k miles or would it be ok to rotate a brand new tire into the equation at 20k?
My question is .. when is it too late to start rotating the spare in if my dealer has been dropping the ball on it?
Next service I'll be at 20,000...
Personally, it would depend on tread depths compared to the other tires. If it’s more than .250” difference, No - it’s too late to rotate in if happen to use lockers. If you are within .200”, yes - but I’d keep it as a drive tire to maximize wear.

You’ll get many different opinions and answers but without actual tread comparison, it’s a shot in the dark

BroncoTrail

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Sasquatch Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Personally, it would depend on tread depths compared to the other tires. If it’s more than .250” difference, No - it’s too late to rotate in if happen to use lockers. If you are within .200”, yes - but I’d keep it as a drive tire to maximize wear.

You’ll get many different opinions and answers but without actual tread comparison, it’s a shot in the dark
Thanks!

Riverjeep

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak, F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have never done this on my two Wranglers but thanks to you guys I am going to do the 5 tire rotation. Since I will do it myself I like the idea of only jacking up one corner at a time.

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I stand corrected, after looking around it seems none of them have weights. I’m not sure when or why they stopped doing it, but it looks like you’re right. Probably trying to save Pennies.
Yeah, that seems dumb. I'm even having a hard time envisioning the how/why here. I would have assumed that ALL the tires and wheels go through the same process of mounting then balancing. This would presume that somehow those designated for duty as spares are either singled out for different treatment or done via a line that *only* mounts and doesn't balance. I'm sure the bean counters have it all figured out and it ends up being cheaper for Ford but still weird and dumb, IMO.
Sponsored