redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Here I just started reading the comments. On RKs IG. Looks like just the truss and uppers, only 799 ..... not bad. We'll find out in a month or 2.

Might be easy to just move the LCA mount to inside or outside the frame and gain some clearance.
Sponsored

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

They need new brake lines, no saving the factory stuff. Just funny to see it dangling.

Why go custom rear suspension if your not going to improve it? The bent arms only help clear obstructions from getting more droop. They also made the upper mount into an axle brace to keep from spinning an axle tube which is the only benefit. Looks like they will be do something different for the coilovers as the axle bracket is gone. Issue is they are still working within the factory envelope.

I would want recessed front frame mounts so you can relocate the lower links on the rear axle out from underneath. Changing the upper mounts to match the new lower links would allow longer links to helping with binding. They are doing a bunch of work that doesn't really do much more than change the roll center. Now they will have to do something with the track bar since the roll center change effects the arc. Just a bunch of wasted fab.

You could just cut a hole in the rear floor and run a larger coilover up into the body area. Throw some Metalcloak rear control arms on and have better performance. Your defeating the purpose of $20k portals here.

Look at that dingle berry!
1703288026094.png
I see the dingle berry and I hate it...BUT that is where you want your coil over to attach.... You do NOT want to move that. It is placing the back quarter of weight in a tensile load. That is far superior to placing it in a compressive situation on top of that axle. If you do that it is like trying to balance a plate on top of a pencil, or worse yet offsetting it forward or backward of the axle placing the whole thing in a rotational situation. The only way around this is doing like a race set up where you have two points the weight is placed on the axle one fore and one aft.... That takes an immense amount of work to balance those two points.

That location has nothing to do with the length of the coil over.... moving the top up into the body does you no good. once again it is about placing the weight on the axle in tension, and NOT compression or rotation..... So skid plates for those. and no you did not defeat the purpose of the portals... That point raised the same 3.88 inches that the rest of the axle just raised.

I am trying to find a good truss for my axle that clears during compression.... I would like to know more about this one.

Edit: so you are saying that dingle berry is the lower control arm mount.... Hmmm... going to have to think about that one.... Maybe you are right there....

Last edited:

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I see the dingle berry and I hate it...BUT that is where you want your coil over to attach.... You do NOT want to move that. It is placing the back quarter of weight in a tensile load. That is far superior to placing it in a compressive situation on top of that axle. If you do that it is like trying to balance a plate on top of a pencil, or worse yet offsetting it forward or backward of the axle placing the whole thing in a rotational situation. The only way around this is doing like a race set up where you have two points the weight is placed on the axle one fore and one aft.... That takes an immense amount of work to balance those two points.

That location has nothing to do with the length of the coil over.... moving the top up into the body does you no good. once again it is about placing the weight on the axle in tension, and NOT compression or rotation..... So skid plates for those. and no you did not defeat the purpose of the portals... That point raised the same 3.88 inches that the rest of the axle just raised.

I am trying to find a good truss for my axle that clears during compression.... I would like to know more about this one.

Well BMB and Snack, maybe a few others have already done just that.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...t-2”-higher-more-clearance-and-2”-lift.31477/

I believe it is the same distance as the lower control arm. So higher but not real high.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No more panhard bar. Semi triangulated 4 link not a straight 5 setup anymore. Better articulation not the extra bar to get bound up. I saw some posts on IG where they were talking about what they were trying to accomplish. Think they were tossing around stretching the wheelbase.
Drivability will be in the toilet with those heim joints over the axle. Going to clunk like a mofo after 5k miles. Going to be interesting to see how they moved the roll center and how the wheel travels.

Bunch of worthless fab, learned my lesson bagging trucks. Those mounts are not going to like lateral load and it's going to eat those sleeves bushings rather quickly.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Well BMB and Snack, maybe a few others have already done just that.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/done-i-have-re-drilled-rear-shock-mount-2”-higher-more-clearance-and-2”-lift.31477/

I believe it is the same distance as the lower control arm. So higher but not real high.
Hurts your compression, ideally you want to move the top mount up also. Definitely makes a big difference offroad. No more hanging up.

Edit: so you are saying that dingle berry is the lower control arm mount.... Hmmm... going to have to think about that one.... Maybe you are right there....
I agree on the mounting location and the benefits. But the portal are already putting you over the roll center so I think it's a mute point.

Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have toyed with the idea to use some "truck arms" to replace the LCA mount and the coilover mount on the diff and making them one. Then you can move the front of the LCA mount, on the frame side, to outside the frame, flush with the bottom of it.

https://barnes4wd.com/products/diy-36-single-shock-trailing-arm-kit

Ford Bronco 74Weld Bronco Portals now available! 1703290683332

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Drivability will be in the toilet with those heim joints over the axle. Going to clunk like a mofo after 5k miles. Going to be interesting to see how they moved the roll center and how the wheel travels.

Bunch of worthless fab, learned my lesson bagging trucks. Those mounts are not going to like lateral load and it's going to eat those sleeves bushings rather quickly.

Yeah, I'm surprised they did not used their "Krawler joints" These are more forgiving and still flex. Not what I expected to see. When I read it the first time I was curious how they were going to pull it off with the gas tank there. I don't like those bends either, would rather have them straight or just a slight bend, maybe.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have toyed with the idea to use some "truck arms" to replace the LCA mount and the coilover mount on the diff and making them one. Then you can move the front of the LCA mount, on the frame side, to outside the frame, flush with the bottom of it.

https://barnes4wd.com/products/diy-36-single-shock-trailing-arm-kit

Ford Bronco 74Weld Bronco Portals now available! 1703290683332
Setups like that were common in dirt track racing many years ago...there was a name for it which escapes me now. The advantages were that much like SLA front suspension, the wheel has mechanical advantage against the spring, and can have greater travel without a super tall spring. However you wouldn't want to use a modern coilover that way. The shock was always on a seperate mount, either on the axle tube (if conventional) or birdcage if racing in a class where birdcages were allowed. Reason being that that same mechanical advantage reduces the ability of the shock to dampen wheel hop (if the wheel has mechanical advantage then think of it as the shock/spring having "mechanical disadvantage"). You would need a stiffer spring, and I would plan on mounting non coilover shocks behind the axle tube centerline. The advantage of that overall setup was much smoother on rough/tacky tracks. The main disadvantage was adjustability and loss of traction on slick tracks. Could be a good setup for a 4x4! Completely obsolete in dirt track now

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Portals are done and on pallets.... waiting on something though... If I were to guess I think it may be the new axles???? Should be shipping soon.

I love the fact he did it on a handshake but at the same time was worried that maybe someone else would sneak in and put money down. I kept trying to get him money and he kept blowing me off on that end. I finally got him to take money when I uppgraded the tie rods for the rack through him.... He told me $875 just the same as it shows on the RPG site and then only charged me $850.... I really think the guy is forth right. I am really impressed with him.
Last thing I heard from them the hub/bearing supplier sent them the wrong ones...said "problem has been fixed", but I don't take that to mean the correct ones are in house yet. Lots of small parts gotta be right to make the whole package work!

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Setups like that were common in dirt track racing many years ago...there was a name for it which escapes me now. The advantages were that much like SLA front suspension, the wheel has mechanical advantage against the spring, and can have greater travel without a super tall spring. However you wouldn't want to use a modern coilover that way. The shock was always on a seperate mount, either on the axle tube (if conventional) or birdcage if racing in a class where birdcages were allowed. Reason being that that same mechanical advantage reduces the ability of the shock to dampen wheel hop (if the wheel has mechanical advantage then think of it as the shock/spring having "mechanical disadvantage"). You would need a stiffer spring, and I would plan on mounting non coilover shocks behind the axle tube centerline. The advantage of that overall setup was much smoother on rough/tacky tracks. The main disadvantage was adjustability and loss of traction on slick tracks. Could be a good setup for a 4x4! Completely obsolete in dirt track now

The offroad crowd still loves them. 3 time KOH champ Randy Slawsons Bomber.......

Ford Bronco 74Weld Bronco Portals now available! 1703297395509

Ford Bronco 74Weld Bronco Portals now available! 1703297461167

Ford Bronco 74Weld Bronco Portals now available! 1703297504651

Trophy trucks luv 'em too, how else do you get 30" of travel...................

Ford Bronco 74Weld Bronco Portals now available! 1703297685816

Sponsored

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

SeptuagenarianSasquatch

Badlands
First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I can't afford the complete set, but I can pay for half. Should I install the left side first, or the right?

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Last thing I heard from them the hub/bearing supplier sent them the wrong ones...said "problem has been fixed", but I don't take that to mean the correct ones are in house yet. Lots of small parts gotta be right to make the whole package work!
Last week they actually posted a video of someone assembling the bronco portals.... So I called Quinn this week and he said they were almost ready to ship and that the portals were actually palletized for shipping and they should be calling for payment next week He thinks. what I am not sure about is if they had all the axles and new brake rotors ready or not..... Obviously the portals a ready it is just the rest of the kit that I think they are assembling.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nope, thats a Gate!!
it's pretty much the definition of a portal

=========
portal /pôr′tl/

noun
  1. A doorway, entrance, or gate, especially one that is large and imposing.
  2. An entrance or a means of entrance.
    "the local library, a portal of knowledge."
  3. The portal vein.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The offroad crowd still loves them. 3 time KOH champ Randy Slawsons Bomber.......

Trophy trucks luv 'em too, how else do you get 30" of travel...................

"Swingarm" thats what it was called! Can't believe it took 8 beers and a pizza to remember! Makes alot of sense for what they do! Like I said main advantage was smooth ride on rough stuff!. Note the MONSTEROUS shocks they use tho...trying to overcome that mechanical disadvantage that that setup puts the shock in!
Sponsored

Last edited: