Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Lets put it this way... someone just posted a Raptor on Auto trader and the forum.... They want 140,000.... Not going to get it but that is not my point.... I am guessing they have about 140 to 150,000 into it.... It has over 10,000 miles so it was purchased at a time when the ADM was probably 25,000 or so.... add in all the aftermarket and they easily have 150,000.... I will not have that much into mine when I am done..... And I would choose my build over that one any day of the week for the type of wheeling that I do. (and you can throw in a dana 60 and rcv axles and I would still be less than that....

I am just not convinced I need the Dana 60.... RCVs are more of a maybe... we will see.

And the 74 Weld portal Kit includes upgraded axles for the 220 housing.....
Sponsored

Last edited:

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Everyone seems to forget that a 190mm is Dana 35 equivalent. The m210 is in-between with 29 sines. Dana 44 advantek is still 210mm with 31 splines.

Dana 60 is 35 spline stock and 9.75" ring gear (247mm) is a substantial upgrade but still only mildly safe on 40s.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Lets put it this way... someone just posted a Raptor on Auto trader and the forum.... They want 140,000.... Not going to get it but that is not my point.... I am guessing they have about 140 to 150,000 into it.... It has over 10,000 miles so it was purchased at a time when the ADM was probably 25,000 or so.... add in all the aftermarket and they easily have 150,000.... I will not have that much into mine when I am done..... And I would choose my build over that one any day of the week for the type of wheeling that I do. (and you can throw in a dana 60 and rcv axles and I would still be less than that....
Everyone seems to forget that a 190mm is Dana 35 equivalent. The m210 is in-between with 29 sines. Dana 44 advantek is still 210mm with 31 splines.

Dana 60 is 35 spline stock and 9.75" ring gear (247mm) is a substantial upgrade but still only mildly safe on 40s.
And the axle shafts that come with the 74 weld portal kit are a hardened 35 spline upgrade.... for the 220 housing and ring gear now in a full float situation.

and again... my biggest concern moving forward is the front axle shafts.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

And the axle shafts that come with the 74 weld portal kit are a hardened 35 spline upgrade.... for the 220 housing and ring gear now in a full float situation.

and again... my biggest concern moving forward is the front axle shafts.
Snack, you have been running 37 on that 190 right? I am not talking about running 40s on a 210 I am talking about running 40s on a 210 with a gear reduction in between. Is it enough? I do not know. We will find out. I would not run 40s straight on a 210..... except to go to the mall. And I do not go to the mall.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Same thing the Tibus portals are doing in the rear. The shaft are definitely not the weak point after the upgrade. My concerns are bent/twisted housing, pinion seal leaks and bearings. Twisted inner shafts seem to be a common issue in the 37"+ jeep world.

Snack, you have been running 37 on that 190 right? I am not talking about running 40s on a 210 I am talking about running 40s on a 210 with a gear reduction in between. Is it enough? I do not know. We will find out. I would not run 40s straight on a 210..... except to go to the mall. And I do not go to the mall.
I still need to pull my M190 apart and figure out what failed. My biggest concern with the M210 is the passenger side intermediate shaft the has multiple spline connections and slop. That play really allows things to bind up and make a bunch of lateral load. Local guy killed his passenger shaft with 35s(he uses his lockers a lot and killed a cv shortly before). I am just not seeing this constant drive setup doing well with more miles and more strain with all the slop. We need to figure out how long we can get out of a M210 in a high use environment. Need at least a few mall crawlers running around to establish normal wear and tear.

Really need the aftermarket to catch up a little and make some hardcore parts. Shafts and couplings, would be a good upgrade.

which portal axles are you installing? 74weld or tibus?
Neither, I want an Atlas transfer case hooked up to fabricated 9" front with a dana 80/14 bolt rear. Might as well go full buggy, having the badest bronco just means your wheeling with buggies anyways.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Same thing the Tibus portals are doing in the rear. The shaft are definitely not the weak point after the upgrade. My concerns are bent/twisted housing, pinion seal leaks and bearings. Twisted inner shafts seem to be a common issue in the 37"+ jeep world.

I still need to pull my M190 apart and figure out what failed. My biggest concern with the M210 is the passenger side intermediate shaft the has multiple spline connections and slop. That play really allows things to bind up and make a bunch of lateral load. Local guy killed his passenger shaft with 35s(he uses his lockers a lot and killed a cv shortly before). I am just not seeing this constant drive setup doing well with more miles and more strain with all the slop. We need to figure out how long we can get out of a M210 in a high use environment. Need at least a few mall crawlers running around to establish normal wear and tear.

Really need the aftermarket to catch up a little and make some hardcore parts. Shafts and couplings, would be a good upgrade.

Neither, I want an Atlas transfer case hooked up to fabricated 9" front with a dana 80/14 bolt rear. Might as well go full buggy, having the badest bronco just means your wheeling with buggies anyways.
Looks like Tibus is replacing the front Knuckle as well now??? Seems like they have really stepped up their package since I was studying them about a year ago.... Competition is good. Everyone is stepping up their game.

I will say this once again. I do not think these are for everyone (even if they were free)... There are pros and cons with them. For me the benefits in my style of off roading far out weigh the detriments. If my driving style was different, or if the places I go were different, I would seriously revaluate the purchase and look for something with greater benefit.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Looks like Tibus is replacing the front Knuckle as well now??? Seems like they have really stepped up their package since I was studying them about a year ago.... Competition is good. Everyone is stepping up their game.

I will say this once again. I do not think these are for everyone (even if they were free)... There are pros and cons with them. For me the benefits in my style of off roading far out weigh the detriments. If my driving style was different, or if the places I go were different, I would seriously revaluate the purchase and look for something with greater benefit.
The Rumor (not proven, completely unsubstantiated, may not even be true) is BroncBozo broke a front portal a while a ago. The rumor has been going a round a while since he hasn't made a video in a while.

Absolut fact, BroncBozo said he was going to try and make his own portal. This could be part of that process. I know he wanted to improve a few things from what he has learned installing portals.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

The Rumor (not proven, completely unsubstantiated, may not even be true) is BroncBozo broke a front portal a while a ago. The rumor has been going a round a while since he hasn't made a video in a while.

Absolut fact, BroncBozo said he was going to try and make his own portal. This could be part of that process. I know he wanted to improve a few things from what he has learned installing portals.
Improve the portal or improve his margin?

Tibus has been making those portals for over a decade. I am not fond of their 3 gear helical design. But they are a decent product. 74 Weld has been making their portals for over a decade. Lets see if he can make something that does not explode.... There is a lot of engineering in those. They are not that simple as many manufacturers in the SXS arena are finding out.

Roofus

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That is fair... but I would argue that you will be on the trail multiple times fixing sh!t.... and after How many times you have spent the same amount.

The better question here is not budget.... Because each and every one of us has a different budget. Hell most people can not find it in their budget to buy a Bronco in the first place....

So... Lets say you had 30,000 to spend on your bronco. How would you spend it?

I can tell you if I was bombing the dessert I would be going after a long arm suspension.... I don't know the exact specs because that is not what I have been researching for the last 3 years. But that is definitely the way I would go.

But that is not how I like to 4x4.... I do some rock crawling but mostly trail running. Spring run offs always create new challenges on almost every trail. So I value clearance, approach angle, break over and departure angle. Articulation is important and I would like to maximize it but even more importantly I would like to maximize clearance for the trails I run.

So do you know of a way I can accomplish that better than portals and a rack?

If I was staying on road... I would not buy a Bronco. Many better choices to serve that purpose.
I mean that’s a lot to just say different people have different use cases. I’ve probably already dropped $12k into my truck so it’s not a fear of spending money on the parts I need. But for someone like me going camping/off-roading on the east coast roughly 10 times a year, $20k on a single upgrade would be a really bad investment.

Sponsored

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I mean that’s a lot to just say different people have different use cases. I’ve probably already dropped $12k into my truck so it’s not a fear of spending money on the parts I need. But for someone like me going camping/off-roading on the east coast roughly 10 times a year, $20k on a single upgrade would be a really bad investment.
Agree with your assessment. And yes I tend to be rather verbose.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

is there a link to the knuckle upgrade?
there's absolutely no details on the bronc busted page on what is/isn't included for 25K$

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

is there a link to the knuckle upgrade?
there's absolutely no details on the bronc busted page on what is/isn't included for 25K$
No, I just thought I saw a complete knuckle in a photo of an install. Do not even remember where I saw it. I did not know that they were including the rear axle as Snack indicated.... I stopped following them some time back after I made the decision to go with 74 Weld. I would still choose 74 Weld because of the gear choice that drives the bearing choice...... In both cases (gear and bearing) I would hands down chose the 74 Weld design.... In fact I started leaning heavily toward the Werewolf design over the Tibus because of those same design issues. Having taught gear design, I just think the design is a much stronger choice. I understand why Tibus went with a helical design I just think it sacrifices too much especially when it comes to the bearings.

OP
OP
userdude

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Racking my brain where anyone on this thread put a gun to your head and said, "Overlander! Spend $30k+ on something you won't need!" Just sayin'.

Roofus

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Racking my brain where anyone on this thread put a gun to your head and said, "Overlander! Spend $30k+ on something you won't need!" Just sayin'.
Understanding of course that goes both ways and you could have just chuckled at my initial joke and moved on with your life like a grown man. Just sayin’…
Sponsored