Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

a wet rubicon ride w. 74weld portals
pretty impressive on trail diagnosis
(non-74 weld part broke!)
That run was what... September?... That was the impetus for the double shear Hiem on the portals....
I had heard about that happening but it is actually really fun to see.

Man what a cool time that had to have been, rain and all.

TraumaJoe

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Got my Bronco back today with my 74 weld portals installed. I am so excited about how it came out…. So much better than I could have ever imagined. The bronco is massive, so big now, and “only” on 38’s!!! I can’t imagine you guys with 40’s. Here is what I had done with and just before the portal install. I had it done at WFO in Auburn, CA (near Sacramento) and they were amazing, such great communication and customer service.

Wheels: Icon Rebound Pro with +25 offset
Tires: Nitto Trail Grapplers 38/13.5/17
Shocks: Fox performance elite 2.5 with DCS
Front upper control arms: Icon billit
Rear bumper: Expedition One with tire carrier

Here are a few pictures they took today at WFO, will post more soon.

Ford Bronco 74Weld Bronco Portals now available! IMG_7916_
Ford Bronco 74Weld Bronco Portals now available! IMG_7911
Ford Bronco 74Weld Bronco Portals now available! IMG_7909

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Got my Bronco back today with my 74 weld portals installed. I am so excited about how it came out…. So much better than I could have ever imagined. The bronco is massive, so big now, and “only” on 38’s!!! I can’t imagine you guys with 40’s. Here is what I had done with and just before the portal install. I had it done at WFO in Auburn, CA (near Sacramento) and they were amazing, such great communication and customer service.

Wheels: Icon Rebound Pro with +25 offset
Tires: Nitto Trail Grapplers 38/13.5/17
Shocks: Fox performance elite 2.5 with DCS
Front upper control arms: Icon billit
Rear bumper: Expedition One with tire carrier

Here are a few pictures they took today at WFO, will post more soon.

IMG_7916_jpg.jpeg
IMG_7911.jpeg
IMG_7909.jpeg
Those RSE step/sliders help quite a bit!.... What I can not get over is the clearance underneath. I see a lot of tall trucks around here. My bronco is not as tall as some of them. BUT The clearance! There is SO much more clearance underneath than anything else....Nothing else comes close.

and with the 1.22 regear outboard of the axle... This thing is just as quick as it was before. usually bigger tires always meant some loss of acceleration... not with this.

Oh and remember to change that gear oil at 200 to 250 miles... The plugs are magnetic and you do get some metal shavings...for me is was especially on the rears because they are the ones typically under power. I did get come out of the front but I did have it in 4H and 4L for maybe 20 miles before the change.

Last edited:

TraumaJoe

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Those RSE step/sliders help quite a bit!.... What I can not get over is the clearance underneath. I see a lot of tall trucks around here. My bronco is not as tall as some of them. BUT The clearance! There is SO much more clearance underneath than anything else....Nothing else comes close.

and with the 1.22 regear outboard of the axle... This thing is just as quick as it was before. usually bigger tires always meant some loss of acceleration... not with this.

Oh and remember to change that gear oil at 200 to 250 miles... The plugs are magnetic and you do get some metal shavings...for me is was especially on the rears because they are the ones typically under power. I did get come out of the front but I did have it in 4H and 4L for maybe 20 miles before the change.
Yeah, the RSE was the first thing I put on this Bronco 2 years ago in preparation for a lift and big tires, they are paying off well now!!

The clearance is unreal!! Can’t wait to get on a trail to test everything out.

Sponsored

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Yeah, the RSE was the first thing I put on this Bronco 2 years ago in preparation for a lift and big tires, they are paying off well now!!

The clearance is unreal!! Can’t wait to get on a trail to test everything out.
yea... I understand completely...
Ford Bronco 74Weld Bronco Portals now available! height of deployed ste
Ford Bronco 74Weld Bronco Portals now available! hieght of running board

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

My girlfriend had difficulty yesterday getting in, so without the RSE I would have to carry a step stool around.
My wife is 4'-10"..... If you think about it.... that step when dropped is still like three 7 inch steps on a stair case.

PEGB

Badlands
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Eruption Green Badlands Sasquatch Hardtop 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So some of you have had these for a little bit of time now, is 12-13 mpg still playing out to be the number anyone doing this should expect? And while I’m asking, is this because of increased wheel weight, wind resistance, or…? I foolishly expected with the re-gearing this might somehow be mitigated slightly?

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So some of you have had these for a little bit of time now, is 12-13 mpg still playing out to be the number anyone doing this should expect? And while I’m asking, is this because of increased wheel weight, wind resistance, or…? I foolishly expected with the re-gearing this might somehow be mitigated slightly?
For perspective, some of it may be my driving style, but I am HAPPY when I get 13mpg. I did get rolled by local LE last weekend and I was ticketed for 20 over. Part of that was I was on a stretch of state highway which I always had assumed was 55, but turns out is actually 45 (who voted for that change? Not this guy!). The reality is you can't move more meat down the road w/out using more fuel...just the laws of physics. Mitigated? Very slightly maybe! My BL on 37s gets 18 on a good day, but 17 is more realistic. It would do low 20s when it was on 35s, so you can see pretty quickly how more meat sucks more fuel! Mine has additional lift which definitely adds aero drag...windy days I can really feel the wind trying to push me around!

Sponsored

TraumaJoe

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I got the Bronco out in the dirt and mud today and all I can say is WOW!!! These new portals and shocks made it so amazing, total game changer. Everything was so effortless. This was only an easy shake down run, but I could tell a huge difference.
Ford Bronco 74Weld Bronco Portals now available! DSC_1604
Ford Bronco 74Weld Bronco Portals now available! IMG_2731_

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I got the Bronco out in the dirt and mud today and all I can say is WOW!!! These new portals and shocks made it so amazing, total game changer. Everything was so effortless. This was only an easy shake down run, but I could tell a huge difference.
Yep! very different but yet.... so similar to what it was.... but at the same time so very different. Very hard to put into words. I honestly feel it rides better than it did and yet it feels so much more capable. I am used to compromises when you go bigger... I actually don't feel any compromise. Additive across the board.

Sounds like that is what you are saying as well? If you can even figure out what it is I am trying to put to words.... :unsure:

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
any rub when flexed out?

TraumaJoe

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yep! very different but yet.... so similar to what it was.... but at the same time so very different. Very hard to put into words. I honestly feel it rides better than it did and yet it feels so much more capable. I am used to compromises when you go bigger... I actually don't feel any compromise. Additive across the board.

Sounds like that is what you are saying as well? If you can even figure out what it is I am trying to put to words.... :unsure:
That is exactly it, so hard to explain!