First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'll actually use 6th a bit in town. Note that "in town" in Phoenix normally means a 7 lane section line road, and the typical traffic speed is 55.

Anything approaching actual freeway speed the engine will lug and pull boost, so utterly worthless on the freeway (which are posted 75 - and going that slow could get you shot)

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Gearing and tires do make a big difference here. I’m running 4.46 on 35s. It’s my daily right now, in a few years when it gets retired to just being the toy then I may go and throw 5.13 or 5.38 in it; then I bet 6th comes in handy.
This is exactly where I'm at, 35's and 4.46's.

I've played around with the gearing calculators quite a bit and have found that gearing 35's to make 6th useable makes 1st REALLY REALLY low. Lower than the factory set up on 30's & 4.46 ....which I felt was a fairly short gear.
The 35's make it a bit to tall.

OP, I cruise 5th gear with the 35's & 4.46 combo at 78 MPH and 2700 rpm.
I ran the numbers several times over a few tanks of gas... just a touch over 21 mpg.

Around town ....wildly different outcome. LOL.
I'd probably do better to tow it on a flat trailer behind a Superduty.

Griffstar07

Base
First Name
M.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base, Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have a Base 2.3 MT with the base wheels and tires. I use 6th at highway speeds. At 82mph the rpm is lower than in 5th. I find I get better mileage in Sport mode than in normal or eco at that speed.

Sponsored

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Stock Black Diamond non-Sasquatch 2-dr. I use 5th if going over 50mph, 6th if over 68mph. I usually shift up at 26k-30k rpm's. Turbo registers in 5th if going up a hill or giving it gas. Turbo in 6th if against the wind or slight uphill, doesn't take much for it to kick in.

I kind of thought 6th was like an "overdrive" gear. Shift from 5th to 6th at about 26k rpms, drops the rpms to 20k, cruising speed over 68mph, but I'll go back to 5th if the turbo is running too much.

This pattern gets me about 18mpg in the winter. Summer over 20mpg, 22 at best. Always running in Normal goat. Never experimented with other modes.

Funksurfsoul

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey all, I’m trying to get a read on how to improve my fuel economy which brought me to this thread, I see someone references the boost, and everything.. but I’m a bit new to understanding boost/lug and optimal shifting rpm’s..

Making me question if I’m shifting too early/late, or if I should be in a different gear altogether… this screenshot and the fuel economy gauge confuses the shit out of me.. when I’m driving, do I generally want that green meter closer to 30? Or the other way around?

When can I tell the speed or rpm when the turbos are kicking in?

Ford Bronco 7MT owners, do you use 5 or 6? IMG_3381

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This has been discussed many times. Cruise at 2500-2800fps to stay out of boost. Whatever gear does that for you. If you want long engine life and best fuel economy, don't lug the engine at full boost.

Sparkherd

Badlands
First Name
Sparky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Stock 2dr Badlands, 4.7:1, 33" KO2s.
It's hilly around here in the Texas Hill Country.
I usually shift into 6th when cruising on fairly level ground, RPMs about 2K, which is about 55-60 MPH, IIRC.
I don't like seeing a lot of boost at 2K in 5th and 6th, so sometimes I'll downshift depending on wind and/or hills.
As an engineer, I don't think 1-2lbs of boost is all that bad, but trying to make the 2.3L into a big block by running lots of boost at lower RPMs is No Bueno.

Sponsored

EasternSierra

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect van
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This has been discussed many times. Cruise at 2500-2800fps to stay out of boost. Whatever gear does that for you. If you want long engine life and best fuel economy, don't lug the engine at full boost.
Stock 2dr Badlands, 4.7:1, 33" KO2s.
It's hilly around here in the Texas Hill Country.
I usually shift into 6th when cruising on fairly level ground, RPMs about 2K, which is about 55-60 MPH, IIRC.
I don't like seeing a lot of boost at 2K in 5th and 6th, so sometimes I'll downshift depending on wind and/or hills.
As an engineer, I don't think 1-2lbs of boost is all that bad, but trying to make the 2.3L into a big block by running lots of boost at lower RPMs is No Bueno.
Thanks, guys. I'm planning out my future build. My inclination is to put lower gears in the axles to make 6th more usable, and get better crawling ability at the other end. Yes, first in high range will be rather low, but this will be a recreational vehicle not a daily driver.

OP
OP
Neverowneda4x4

Neverowneda4x4

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks, guys. I'm planning out my future build. My inclination is to put lower gears in the axles to make 6th more usable, and get better crawling ability at the other end. Yes, first in high range will be rather low, but this will be a recreational vehicle not a daily driver.
I think crawler gear and just being in 4lo in general, works rather well on the bronco. Not sure how much lower is needed, but then again, my experience is limited. Would love to hear what others think.

OP
OP
Neverowneda4x4

Neverowneda4x4

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can you please explain fps for a newbie?