First Name
Nathanial
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-350, F-150, Bronco, Maverick,
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I would just want it wired to an upfitter so I can have full control Vs the factory setup where it’s only engaged in rockcrawl etc..
I believe this will be able to be accomplished with as built line modification.
Sponsored

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A manual disco does the same thing, is way cheaper and way more reliable. The Ford demos are cool, but they are not realistic. I've never been on a trail where you have to constantly connect and disconnect the sway bar. You get to the trailhead, disconnect, and re connect when u are done.
True, but doing it with a push button for that bag of garbage left in the mall parking lot is much easier.

josh1121

Wildtrak
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Titan XD Diesel 4x4, LandRover Defender 110
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Well, that sounds promising. Maybe I will take a leap and set it up on the upfitter until you get closer to the plug and play solution. When you say "in development", are you working with someone, or do you run an aftermarket outfit already? Sorry, I'm just an eager owner, I don't know all of the "players" in this space yet.

ngwildtrak

Wildtrak
First Name
Nathanial
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Well, that sounds promising. Maybe I will take a leap and set it up on the upfitter until you get closer to the plug and play solution. When you say "in development", are you working with someone, or do you run an aftermarket outfit already? Sorry, I'm just an eager owner, I don't know all of the "players" in this space yet.
I have been working on this in theory since going to the Bronco Off-Roadeo last summer and seeing how handy this was. I had time since mine rolled to a 23 so I started putting a part list together and seeing what changes I could make with Forscan. I work at a dealership so I have the luxury of seeing several of these come through and as they do checking connectors and wire counts at them. I have access to Fords wiring schematics and diagrams that have helped guide the project and point in the right directions. I admit it has gone from thinking it would be as easy as a new switch panel and adding the hardware to what I have come up with so far but that being said, once I finish the new stand alone harness, it really shouldnt be that bad.

Fivefingerheist

Badlands
First Name
FFH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands, 4-D, Non-SAS, 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A manual disco does the same thing, is way cheaper and way more reliable. The Ford demos are cool, but they are not realistic. I've never been on a trail where you have to constantly connect and disconnect the sway bar. You get to the trailhead, disconnect, and re connect when u are done.
Can manual ones be disconnected under load? Idk I use mine on bumpy roads & it's great. I feel like if I had a manual one installed I would barely ever use it.

Sponsored

Chritaka

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 WildTrak; '06 Whippl'd Mustang (sold4upgrades)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Can manual ones be disconnected under load? Idk I use mine on bumpy roads & it's great. I feel like if I had a manual one installed I would barely ever use it.
Exactly! I had them on my old TJ and never used them since they were a PITA!

josh1121

Wildtrak
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have been working on this in theory since going to the Bronco Off-Roadeo last summer and seeing how handy this was. I had time since mine rolled to a 23 so I started putting a part list together and seeing what changes I could make with Forscan. I work at a dealership so I have the luxury of seeing several of these come through and as they do checking connectors and wire counts at them. I have access to Fords wiring schematics and diagrams that have helped guide the project and point in the right directions. I admit it has gone from thinking it would be as easy as a new switch panel and adding the hardware to what I have come up with so far but that being said, once I finish the new stand alone harness, it really shouldnt be that bad.
Thanks for the background, and thanks for all of the energy on this. The more I write, the more I'm ready to pull the trigger and give it a shot!

Do you know the motor voltage & draw for the disconnect? Is it a simple 12V / <10A so I can leave it on a switch or should I consider a relay? I don't know where I would get the input specs.

ngwildtrak

Wildtrak
First Name
Nathanial
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thanks for the background, and thanks for all of the energy on this. The more I write, the more I'm ready to pull the trigger and give it a shot!

Do you know the motor voltage & draw for the disconnect? Is it a simple 12V / <10A so I can leave it on a switch or should I consider a relay? I don't know where I would get the input specs.
The CAN system operates on roughly 1.5-3.5 v.

ngwildtrak

Wildtrak
First Name
Nathanial
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

I'm not sure the exact voltage operating the solenoids that allow this to release.

josh1121

Wildtrak
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have a test bench at home, so I will put it up there and dial it in. Thanks.

Sponsored

pgordon888

Wildtrak
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BroncWTRK; 2019 F350 Bagged; 2014 GTR 1200hp
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

In for an uplifter switch operated auto sway bar disconnect.

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

That aux switch is looking more promising now. I wonder if I could use the hero switch like a simple switch also. I guess I have to take apart my current setup and do some more digging.
If you wanted to wire up a stock hero switch to some random device (like lights or this disconnect) - I would imagine it would work but not so simple as you are hoping for.

The hero switches are momentary - not SPST (on/off) type switches. So you’d need to wire them to what’s known as a “latching relay” - which is a relay that turns on when you give it a momentary pulse of 12v. And stays on until you give it another pulse of 12v.

These relays are readily available so not a super complicated circuit - just be aware that a little more involved than wiring up a light switch in your bathroom.

josh1121

Wildtrak
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If you wanted to wire up a stock hero switch to some random device (like lights or this disconnect) - I would imagine it would work but not so simple as you are hoping for.

The hero switches are momentary - not SPST (on/off) type switches. So you’d need to wire them to what’s known as a “latching relay” - which is a relay that turns on when you give it a momentary pulse of 12v. And stays on until you give it another pulse of 12v.

These relays are readily available so not a super complicated circuit - just be aware that a little more involved than wiring up a light switch in your bathroom.
Thank you for that, my real worry was that they were an integrated CAN trigger and not separate circuits/switches that could be plugged in directly as I haven’t seen the back of them yet. Your info though is an important thing to note.

One area that I’m interested in is if the thing is smart enough (self contained enough)to engage and disengage without the CHCM or if the hydraulics and solonoids need the sensor feeds to go to the CHCM to operate properly.

ngwildtrak

Wildtrak
First Name
Nathanial
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thank you for that, my real worry was that they were an integrated CAN trigger and not separate circuits/switches that could be plugged in directly as I haven’t seen the back of them yet. Your info though is an important thing to note.

One area that I’m interested in is if the thing is smart enough (self contained enough)to engage and disengage without the CHCM or if the hydraulics and solonoids need the sensor feeds to go to the CHCM to operate properly.
Ford Bronco Adding a factory replacement sway bar disconnect to a wildtrak 1677278668216

Here is the plug in for the HERO switches, they all have the same one and same number of wires from the ones I have pulled and checked

ngwildtrak

Wildtrak
First Name
Nathanial
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Here is the communication network it shows to use. It is labeled FD1 instead of high or medium speed can. The pinout for the hero switch labels the com as high speed though so I'm not sure id they are the same or sepetate??? I wish we had someone that had worked on these systems that could shed some light but that would be too easy lol
Sponsored

Attachments