LHD

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samurais, Corvairs, 914-6, TT, F350 SD
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have drove MT for years, I have never, not even when I was learning to drive, watched the Tach. My dad thought me how to change gears just using the sound of the engine.

Seriously, who watch the tach to change gears?
Way back when I was driving say a SBC, BBC, or just about any other car I have, I could hear what the engine was doing. My GTI would tell me as well. This 2.3 is mostly quiet through the rpm range. I’d like to glance down (at a legible tach not this 2.5-2.8 graph BS) to see where I’m at when downshifting around a corner, on-ramp, etc so I don’t overrev or lug. Also, I like to glance down to try to match the max torque curve to decide when to upshift Not just rev it by feel. I’m not racing just having fun.
That stupid waste of display for goat modes does nothing for me And I have 3 clocks visible including my phone. While I’m at it can I also request the vehicle to quit asking me if I want to stay in Sport mode. I want it to default to sport, not lame mode…always.
Sponsored

LHD

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samurais, Corvairs, 914-6, TT, F350 SD
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'd take something similar to this over the current offering all day long, I like analog gauges. The rest can be thrown on the NAV screen. The current instrument cluster is one of the most disappointing things with this Bronco for me....other than not having one in my driveway.

1637211761989.png
Uses less “chips” too.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I started messing with OBDLink display settings a bit. You would need the Bluetooth version MX+. But, very customizable.

This could potentially be a solution for some. There are ENDLESS configurations, gauge types and adjustable settings.

Ford Bronco Adding a tachometer 6E97A38B-D372-439A-B2CA-EF2855F13577

fschael

Base
First Name
Federico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-150 Supercrew FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Your dad, god bless him, probably taught you how to use a rotary or push button phone too. Neither of which are important today, like if you are a motor enthusiast in a modern vehicle, especially a specialized one like a 4X4 wheeler. Engines have changed a lot since you learned to drive. Knowledge is power.
You are referring to less than 0.5% of motor vehicle users. Bronco is not on that market. Others manufacturers or aftermarket company suit that market.

Knowledge + Strategy = power

nhbronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Sequoia, F150, Ranger, Roadtrek Agile
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The digital gauges are not well designed at all. Makes no sense to display speed in two places. They really should provide an update to the digital display. I don't mind the vertical tachometer, but I look at the number, not the Bar. (I have a manual)

So right now, on the digital display, the only thing I look at is the number indicating my RPM's. Lots of wasted space. They should do something similar like they have with the F150

Ford Bronco Adding a tachometer 1637246499862

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

The instrument cluster as a whole is perplexing. You only have to sit in a Mustang to see that Ford can make a solid lcd instrument cluster but for this vehicle they attempted this mishmash of old and new and like an all season tire it doesn't do anything well. I assume the analog speedometer was put in there in a cost cutting move so they could keep the LCD smaller but the analog speedometer is rendered useless because right in front of the driver is a large digital speedometer that is all you need to see. They then double down on a vertical bar tach. Vertical bar indicators are typically used for level and temperature which are indications that typically move up or down gradually not quickly like a tachometer. The rest of the LCD is so basic and lacking content to the point where you could be excused for thinking it came out of a decade old vehicle. So weird to sit in an interior with this very modern 12" LCD infotainment system to your right and in front of you an instrument cluster that features 2000 era LCD quality and design.
It’s like it was designed by people brought up driving non-performance automatic or electric cars. How those people were assigned to developing the Bronco cluster and not the Bronco Sport cluster we’ll never know.

Actually, I think the designer was mimicking the early Bronco dash with the single big dial to the left of the wheel. They could have used the LCD real estate a lot more effectively from there though.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think we can all agree the analog speedo is useless. It should have been a tach or more digital screen real estate.
I would be the exception then. I wish I could lose the digital speedo, to much like a video game for me. I prefer the analog appearance of gauges. YMMV :cool:

OP
OP
Saw4Fire

Saw4Fire

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

KenRobertson

Big Bend
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I just took delivery on my Bronco and I have to say that the tach is a disappointment. As others pointed out, it is hard to read at a glance. I think that it was designed by someone who has never driven a manual transmission before. I am glad to see that I am not the only one who feels this way. This forum has a lot of good suggestions on improvements, I hope @Ford Motor Company is listening.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I did not know the Bronco would come without a tach when I placed my reservation. A tach is a big deal for me. I watch the tach about the same amount of time as the speedometer. I glance at the other gauges as well once in a while- temp, etc. I like to see the shift points of the transmission, etc. and use the tach as a base line that the engine/transmission is shifting fine, smooth idling, etc. And this is in an AUTOMATIC. I watch the tach even more than the speedometer in a manual transmission. I watch the tach with every single shift. When I have to rev the engine extra for a quick start off, or to pass someone, I watch the tach. I especially watch the tach when I am accelerating aggressively so I know when to shift near or at red line.

I find it very strange that there is no tach- especially on the manual. I have owned and drive far too may vehicles and a few bikes and the only manual without a tach was my 2003 Harley Davidson Sportster. I could not stand that it did not have a tach.

So I am still getting my Basesquatch 2.7 automatic but will be reading the posts to see if a tach can be installed. Even a round aftermarket small one. It will be like my 1970 Bronco back in 1977- I had a large Sun tach, worm clamped to the steering column just in front of the dash. It worked just fine :)

Sponsored

rhymeswithbronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 F-100
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I thought the tach would annoy the crap out of me but when I test drove the dealer's demo, I felt it was actually easy to read. Still super gimmicky, but not terrible. It reminds me of the giant calculator digital dash in my uncle's old Lincoln which was cool...back in the 90's.

That said, I'm still interested in adding an aftermarket tach similar to the Bosch retro half sweep St. Nick just brought me for my '66. Do I need it? Hell no. Is it cooler than cool? All day!

Ford Bronco Adding a tachometer IMG_20211227_064838072

heynow14

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco - BL SAS MT LUX SOFT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Tach is god awful. If you think it's acceptable, you don't care - which is fine - but for those of us who do care - it is horrid and borders on embarrassing. This is a retro-inspired vehicle. How on earth did the dash end up like it is? Failure.

I started a similar thread here regarding adding an aftermarket tach:
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/analog-tach-anyone-else-considering.27458/#post-943542

I'm down to contribute a bounty for anyone who can FORscan some customization to kill the Nintendo bar tach in favor of an old-school sweeper. Who's with me?

TXRancher

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am hoping someone does develop a swap for the analog speedo to convert it into a tach. For the Manual drivers who don't need a tach, that is great for you. I have owned 5 manual vehicles over 28 years and 99% of the time I didn't use the tach either but that other 1% it was super important to be able to instantly verify where I was in the rev range to make split second decisions on downshifting or upshifting. I don't look forward to having to re-train my brain because Ford thought I wouldn't need an analog tach but I needed two speedos.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

my experience... the tach in general quickly loses it meaning. within a few weeks you know the shift points based on speed, if not just the sound and feel.
When I test drove a 7MT I found that the engine had good feedback and I could feel the proper shift points after the first block. So even though the bar tach does suck, I think it will be sufficient for the 1% of the time I really need it.

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Because the tach sucks….

I hate the tach.

How about an optional tach screen that actually is readable, with a needle like a standard tachometer we have seen since the 1950s. They have it for mpg, and boost. The engineering team responsible for that dash debacle should be fired. The “tach” is useless. I have a manual and would like to see where I am when downshifting.
i have 2 speedometers, 2 temp displays, can I have a real tachometer? Please?
I have to agree about the uselessness of the tach the way they implemented it. I don't need a tach, but always liked one with a manual trans so I just knew I wasn't doing anything crazy in the RPM range. The existing may serve that, but while not essential I really would like one. I don't know why with the electronic display they can't give different views.

I never thought tach would be handy with automatic trans, but on my explorer I find myself using it regularly for clues about what the automatic trans is doing. It lets me know if it has finally gone into overdrive, if it has unlocked expecting to shift or has locked into a gear after determining I am at a stable speed. Sometimes making small throttle input changes to encourage the trans to lock or shift to the next gear.
Sponsored