Sponsored

Advanced 4x4 automatic on demand engagement price?

acmepa

Black Diamond
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thoughts/guesses on price to upgrade to the advanced 4x4? Also thoughts on this being bundled with the 2.7 upgrade?

Not entirely familiar with the difference in the part time selctable 4x4 standard on some trims vs the advanced option. Assuming the advaced is simply automatically engaged when needed such as icy wintry roads and the other option is simply manually controlled?
Sponsored

BoatBuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Can someone explain? I'm a confused about this feature.

In this auto on-demand engagement mode, does the Bronco become a full-time 4WD (like an Audi Quattro or Subaru), which would be very cool.

bobby bunny time

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
flintstones mobile
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
this is a good question. i'm sure for a few peeps it will be an automatic upgrade like getting the bigger engine...if it isn't ridiculously priced

Zinn

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2020 Ranger Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The comparison guide made it seem like you HAVE to select this if you get the 2.7, is that true? I really couldnā€™t care less about this feature after experiencing the selectable 4x4 on the Ranger.

Imissmy1996bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sponsored

codydb19

Big Bend
First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

In this auto on-demand engagement mode, does the Bronco become a full-time 4WD (like an Audi Quattro or Subaru), which would be very cool.
Im assuming it works the same way it does on the gm trucks. If you have it in 4A it will essentially be just running in 2wd. Then if it detects any slippage or loss in traction it will put power to the front wheels to bring stability back. Then after traction is back it reverts to 2wd. Not a problem in Texas really, but would be handy to have for ice/snow.

bobby bunny time

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
flintstones mobile
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
The comparison guide made it seem like you HAVE to select this if you get the 2.7, is that true? I really couldnā€™t care less about this feature after experiencing the selectable 4x4 on the Ranger.
I never thought of the people that don't live where there's plenty of inclement weather. those are definitely some that won't get it as an option

madj613

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 4Runner SR5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The spec sheets arenā€™t clear if it is a standalone or bundled option. I bet it is bundled with the 2.7 on the three lower trims.

4A is essentially AWD, or an ā€œopenā€ center diff that allows the front and rear wheels to spin at different speeds, allowing for the brains of the system to send torque to whatever wheel where it is needed. Allows for driving at higher speeds with all four wheels engaged. The downside is, that torque may go the wheel that needs it the most (and is spinning badly), robbing power from the other wheels.

Normal 4WD or ā€œpart timeā€ is generally a ā€œlockedā€ center diff that keeps front and rear wheels receiving the same amount of torque. It is recommended to not drive with part time 4wd on dry pavement or generally at highway speeds because it can cause steering issues.

Zinn

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2020 Ranger Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I never thought of the people that don't live where there's plenty of inclement weather. those are definitely some that won't get it as an option
I live in a part of Minnesota where we sometimes have 6+ inches of snow and go dayā€™s without seeing a plow. If it really comes down to it Iā€™ll push the transfer case button and switch from 2H to 4H

Look i might just be ignorant because Iā€™ve mostly driven fwd coupes all my life. WhT advantage in real world use does the automatic 4x4 have over selectable?

BoatBuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Sorry for my confusion. So this Bronco's auto on-demand mode will not transfer torque from the spinning wheel to the wheel with more traction? In other words, the front and rear diffs are still open?

Sponsored

bobby bunny time

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
flintstones mobile
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I live in a part of Minnesota where we sometimes have 6+ inches of snow and go dayā€™s without seeing a plow. If it really comes down to it Iā€™ll push the transfer case button and switch from 2H to 4H

Look i might just be ignorant because Iā€™ve mostly driven fwd coupes all my life. WhT advantage in real world use does the automatic 4x4 have over selectable?

good question....lol....the only answer I can come up with is greater traction power and tire engagement. isn't that what it is?

madj613

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 4Runner SR5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

It allows for you to drive at higher speeds more safely because every differential is open and wheels can spin at different speeds (during cornering). With modern AWD systems, brakes can be intelligently applied by the system to stop spinning wheels during slippery situations, sending power to any wheel that is still receiving traction.

In a part time system (with no traction control), as soon as one wheel (rear perhaps) starts spinning with no traction, most torque will be ā€œsucked upā€ from the other wheel on the axle (meaning youā€™ve lost traction on that wheel, both now totally useless), but it will not affect the other axle (front in this case) because of the center ā€œlockedā€ differential.

The same concept applies to front or rear locking diffs which control the side to side application of power ensuring one wheel slipping doesnā€™t rob the other one on the axle.

Last edited:

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Its just like a Lariat or above F-150. You have 2H 4A 4H and 4L. You can use 4A at any speed on any surface. 4H/4L work exactly the same as the regular 2 speed case.

4A detects slip in the rear tires and kicks the front tires in very quickly and seamlessly. Works awesome in my F150 and it stays in that mode from October to April every year.

bobby bunny time

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
flintstones mobile
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
It allows for you to drive at higher speeds more safely because every differential is open and wheels can spin at different speeds (during cornering). With modern AWD systems, brakes can be intelligently applied by the system to stop spinning wheels during slippery situations, sending power to any wheel that is still receiving traction.

i'm not so sure of that.

if that's what it is, it's a disguised AWD when needed. some cars have this as an option as their verison of 4wd or awd.

if it's an option added to already having 4WD then it's a lol add on...which may or may not be true to some

fomoco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
deathmobile
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I have the same question. But I don't think Ford Advanced 4WD is like Audi AWD. I believe the Audi transfer case is variable and splits the torque front/rear over a range (e.g. 85% rear 15% front or 40% rear 60% front, etc, whatever is needed). It seems like the Ford transfer case it either 100% rear 0% front or 50% rear 50% front). Not sure if variable AWD it better or smoother but it probably is. It seems like the Ford is 100% rear drive until front loss off traction is identified then 50% of torque is sent to front differential..

The other part of the equation is what happens once the torque gets t the differential. With the electronic locking diffs it seems like the diffs are either open or locked. Open seems to be 100% open with no limited slip (mechanical clutch) fuctionality. I would assume Ford using Brake Lock fuctionality to stop a spinning wheel and direct torque to the wheel with traction on the same axle.

For normal day to day driving (dry, rain, light/moderate snow) I could see maybe using the Advanced 4WD (4A) or 2High and unlocked front and rear diffs.

I have no direct knowledge and that is all a guess on my part based on what I have read. I hope Ford provides more details. What I have found so far on their site on Advance 4WD is limited.
Sponsored

Last edited: